Power: battery/ generator/ propane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVMommaTo6

I have a few questions about power.
In my TT, the battery charges while towing. Is this the same in a motorhome?
Also in my TT, we plug in and everything works, when we aren't plugged in, we don't use the fridge/ heat/ AC etc. Now I'll have a generator. I know it's probably obvious for most of you, but I have no idea what a generator is for. Is that like plugging the electric in when you don't have electric?

Yes, when using the generator it's like being plugged in. Enroute you can switch the fridge to gas. If it's really hot while you're driving, too much for the dash AC, you can start the generator and use the roof air

Edit: and yes, the batteries charge while you're driving.

A couple notes since you're new to having a generator. The RV will likely have a transfer switch to handle changeover from the generator to shore power automatically, however it's best to basically act like it doesn't. So when arriving at a campground with the generator already running powering AC, here's the recommended steps:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Shut off AC and wait 5 minutes for generator to cool down
[*]Shut down generator
[*]Make sure breakers on shore power pedestal are off
[*]Plug in power cord
[*]Turn on pedestal breakers
[*]Turn on AC (if needed)
[/list]When leaving, if generator is desired:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Turn off AC
[*]Turn off pedestal breakers
[*]Unplug power cord
[*]Start generator, wait 5 minutes for warmup
[*]Start AC
[/list]

RVMommaTo6 said:
Thank you!
What's the difference between using the generator and propane? Or are those the same thing?

I assume you mean to power the fridge. The way an RV fridge works is it uses heat from either a flame (propane) or heaters (electric) to heat a fluid, then goes through a process to create cold (I know, sounds odd). So when you have electric, you'll use that, if not, you'll use propane. Your fridge likely has an "auto" setting, you can leave it there and it will switch back and forth on its own.

The generator is used when you need household (120V) power and you don't have it available (either enroute or dry camping where there's no hookups)

Back
Top Bottom