Sidewall Framing Failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trekman1

I have a 2010 Forest River Salem T19FD Travel trailer. The entry door is hard to open and close sometimes. Then a buckle developed in the siding above the left corner of the door. Now driving from Bend OR to Hood River OR a crack has developed in the siding. There is no cracking or movement on the interior wall board yet or the roof
Seems to me that the framing in the wall has broken above the door.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced this kind of problem?
Thinking of taking out the door and prying back the interior wall board to see what is going on.
Perhaps glue and fasten any broken framing if I can get to it
Then maybe install a 1/16" sheet of aluminum above the door and around the sides to tie all the studs together under the wall board.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Trekman1 said:
I have a 2010 Forest River Salem T19FD Travel trailer. The entry door is hard to open and close sometimes. Then a buckle developed in the siding above the left corner of the door. Now driving from Bend OR to Hood River OR a crack has developed in the siding. There is no cracking or movement on the interior wall board yet or the roof
Seems to me that the framing in the wall has broken above the door.
Was wondering if anyone has experienced this kind of problem?
Thinking of taking out the door and prying back the interior wall board to see what is going on.
Perhaps glue and fasten any broken framing if I can get to it

Then maybe install a 1/16" sheet of aluminum above the door and around the sides to tie all the studs together under the wall board.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Trekman1
Sounds like a good plan

Could it be possible an over sized person was up there?  I certainly would get a solid makeshift support in there.  Let us know what you find please.  I have a 2012 Puma, made by Forest River, looks similar to your Salem 19fd.  Thanks

Welcome to the Forum!

Definitely get in there for a good inspection!  Your repair will depend on what you find, but you have a good game plan going into this!

Go underneath it and look at the frame. You don't have to disassemble anything under there just take a flashlight and look easy to start there

QZ said:
Go underneath it and look at the frame. You don't have to disassemble anything under there just take a flashlight and look easy to start there

X2

If a wall is sagging to that degree, I would have a look at what it is sitting on 1st.

Note as well that some trailers are built with the wall sitting on the floor. Others, in order to get the so-called "wide-body", bolt or lag bolt the walls to the side of the floor. If it is lagged to the side of the floor, check the lag bolts, tabs, shoulder mounts, or whatever[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif].[/font]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom