Satellite tv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bergeron52

Thinking about purchasing a portable rv satellite. Does anyone know which coverage is best? WhIch brand is the best?  Also looking to connect 3 TVs. Does anyone know what is the fee is monthly? Looking for opinions. Thank you The Bergeron?s

I have a Winegard Pathway X2. It only receives Dish network. The X2 is the only antenna that can get the Dish eastern arc satellites (there are 2, eastern and western) which is the main reason I selected it. Dish is the only provider that transmits high definition that you can get with a portable antenna.  Dish also allows you to turn your service on and off. The X2 has the largest dish of any of the portables and gets signal when smaller one don t . I've been very happy with my selection. Oh, it's also automatic.

Welcome to the Forum!

Cost depends on what programming package you want.
For automatic dishes, DirecTV  HD  units are available, but very expensive.  SD dishes are competitively priced.
If you are willing to set up and adjust your own dish, then Dish and DirecTV are competitively priced.

You can buy Dish service by the month for the RV.  Not with DirecTV.

What service do you use at home?  You may be able to simply turn off home receivers and activate RV receivers at no additional charge from your current service.

I have a carryout G2 that works well with both dish and directv. As said, you don?t get HD with this satellite dish except of you choose Dish as a provider.

I didn?t have any problem turning my programming in and off when I had directv. Is that what is meant by month to month.

As I understand, you can get Dish service for the camper, independent of any other services you may or may not have, and only sign up for a 1 month "contract".  DirecTV will not do that, but you can move receivers from the house to the camper and just go camping.  You can also turn house receivers OFF and camper receivers ON without any contract changes.

Had Direct at our home prior to buying the Coach.  Direct sent a tech out to move everything from the house to the RV (receiver, two genie boxes for the other tvs, etc.).  He set up the coach, programmed new remotes, had everything working before he left....No charge for the move. 

Yes the roof mount Traveler was a bit more $ than the portable and sometimes it can't "find" the sats due to terrain issue or trees blocking, but is the exception not the rule. I am considering adding a portable unit, for those places where the roof mount is blocked.   

When we are not mobile, I just call Direct and suspend service for up to six months, no cost. 

Back
Top Bottom