What to do with an RV that has been sitting for a while

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malayman

What to do with an RV that has been sitting for a while?  Hi everybody. My name is Mark. I am a newcomer to the site and also a newcomer to full-time living in an RV. My question is I purchased a 2017 keystone toy hauler that has been sitting since January. What do I do about freshwater, gray water and black water storage tanks. I am picking the RV up Wednesday morning.  The trailer was bought new in September 2017. Lived in until January and then put on a ranch and left on occupied. I am told the tanks are empty but what do I need to do to prepare them for my use. Thanks for all your Advice and help.  Advice and help

That's only a few months, should be no big deal.

Most important - does it get below freezing where you are, and if so, was the unit winterized?

If that's not an issue, clean it thoroughly inside and out. Check for leaks, sanitize and flush the water system, check the tire pressure.

Check the forum library for instructions. And welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the RVForum Malayman. Some might feel otherwise, but that's not a terribly excessive period of time to have water sitting idle. However, as with any new-to-you RV, it's usually a good idea to purify the freshwater system, since you probably don't know how the previous owner treated it.

I'd start by filling the water tank, and then adding a little bleach. (It doesn't take much bleach.) Open all the faucets and let the water run until you smell the bleach. I like to let it sit over night, then drain the tank the next day. Refill the tank (no bleach this time) and then run the faucets again until the odor of bleach is gone.

Kev

Since January....
First. On ANY used RV purchase even if it was last used last week do a full inspection. have a mobile RV tech check over the house parts. make sure all systems work, the TV antenna connections are "Factory" (less you plan to use satellite and then proper for that) and so on. Check for soft spots and depending on the age (yours is too new) re-caulk the roof if needed.

Likewise a compentent mechanic do the "Truck Parts.. Change oil and so on. as well.

Specail for the house:  IN our forum library you will find a "Sanatize" the fresh tank procedure.

That's all folks..

OH have the mobile tech (if you do not already how) explain (but not demonstrate less you are on a site with a dump station) how to do the black and gray water stuff as well.

But the only special think is sanatize teh fresh water. and routine bakign soda clean of the Fridge and Frezer.. Same as a residential unit in your kitchen at defrost time.

charge batteries, air up tires, fill water tank 1/3, check that everything works.  Sanitize per above if all works.  If any issues, fix them, then sanitize.  And go use it.  :))

Welcome to the RV life. 

As a newbie, if you are nervousness that it is sitting for a possible reason, you can hire an inspector to give you a professional opinion.

The advice is good, but with a previously occupied unit that has been left sitting for a short time, I'd be concerned about critters.  just beware, and keep an eye open for any calling cards....

Enjoy your new unit / home!

Back
Top Bottom