Question on short term storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVSSNAKE

Between trips we store our MH in a storage facility.
We don't have access to power.
I just want to know if I did the right thing.
When I parked it I made sure nothing was on and switched both battery disconnects off so that theoretically there is no drain on either the chassis or house batteries.

Was this the correct thing to do?

We've done that many times over the years, for months at a time. One thing I discovered with our current coach is that the disconnect for the chassis batteries didn't disconnect all loads (something was wired directly to the battery terminals), and we'd eventually have a pair of dead batteries. I installed an additional disconnect switch near the batteries, 'completely' disconnecting them from anything on the coach/chassis. No more dead batteries.

Something like this and you'd never have a problem with battery drain.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-ID220S-6V-24V-Battery-Disconnect/dp/B006EH9WUC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1534865718&sr=8-8&keywords=battery+disconnect+switches

Thanks for the replies so far.

Rene T,
We have two battery disconnects one for house and one for chassis.

Our motorhome is like Toms.  We have two disconnect switches above the entry door.  One for the chassis and one for the house.  The one for the chassis does not turn off everything.  Not sure why but it will eventually drain the chassis battery.  I think Rene's battery disconnect might be the only solution.

Leave the refrigerator open to air out, it will keep it from molding (or smelling like a skunk) when you go back  ::)

[quote author=garyb1st]Our motorhome is like Toms.  We have two disconnect switches above the entry door.  One for the chassis and one for the house.[/quote]
Gary, I was referring to the mechanical disconnect switches in the battery bay.

The one for the chassis does not turn off everything.

We have one of those switches near the entry door; It operates a Trombetta relay that powers only some of the coach loads.

I always disconnected the main ground wire on the battery terminals, they were easy to access, and it was only one bolt on each the chassis and coach batteries

Ed

Our disconnects are in the battery bay on the walls above each bank of batteries. I will say that I checked inside the coach and there was nothing powered up and then I turned the key to acc and nothing lit up not even the dash warning lights.

We did prop open the fridge/freezer and put baking powder or soda or whatever, the wife did it, in the fridge and freezer.

[quote author=Tom] We have one of those switches near the entry door; It operates a Trombetta relay that powers only some of the coach loads.[/quote]
For the benefit of those with a disconnect operated by a switch near the entry door, here's a discussion and photos of when my Trombetta relay failed, and I had 12V to only some house loads in the coach. Nowt to do with the original message in this topic but, since it came up.

I am not a real fan of parking a motorhome even for a month without some kind of charger attached to the batteries. Even with nothing draining the system, they do deplete slowly over time just sitting there. I would try and have power to the coach, or a solar charger hooked up.

Bill

I park my TT in storage for 3-5 weeks at a time. I aways disconnect my battery (my rig has a disconnect switch) and connect a 5 watt solar trickle charger with built in battery tender. No matter how long my rig sits, I always arrive to a fully charged battery! I have never had a problem operating slides, power jack, etc. No electricity required. Here is a link to the charger that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-1163-Solar-Maintainer/dp/B004Q83TGO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535607358&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+tender+solar/

Back
Top Bottom