Sharing is Caring... TIRES story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SarniaTricia

A little storey for all you new RV peoples?.

The BackGround:
I am new to RVing as an adult.  My family always camped in some way, at least once a summer, when I was a child.  Due to a Rabbit Showing hobby/addiction that requires me to stay overnight sometimes, I thought a small RV would be just the thing to cut down on hotel costs for said hobby.  My husband enjoys camping, so I figured it would get lots of use??I enjoy my hobby, but I often travel alone or with my step-daughter (just turned 18)?..

After doing research on what I could tow with my Astro Van; I found what I was looking for in a 1988 single axil 15ft Lynx Prowler.  I did all the things one should do? turned everything on, made sure they worked, asked lots of questions and brought my dad along for a second opinion?.

Now, keeping in mind that this trailer is older than my step-kids, everything is not perfect and I find new things to add to my ?to do? list everytime I take it out?. But it fits me?and ALL the big ticket items were functional, air, heat, fridge, bathroom, sealed roof and tires had good tread.

I took it out for a 2 hour trip (one way) in March and it was a bit bouncy all the way there and home.  The little electric space heater worked great even though outside it was freezing.  I purchased and installed a friction sway bar for the next trip.

Next trip was again about 2hours (one way)and the sway bar definitely helped with control.  I was pleased with the convenience of going early and sleeping on site.

The third trip was 3.5 hours (one way)?.. Getting there was not bad? and the convenience was unbelievable!! I was in Columbus, OH for two days and never moved my van!

Coming home is where I experienced technical difficulties!!! I was barely on the road when I lost tread on the driver?s side tire ?. Now let me tell you! I was VERY surprised by this!  The tread was more than good when I looked at it before purchasing?.

Here is what I learned from this experience:
TIRES have a date on them?. Figure out how to read this and make sure your tires are younger than 7 years, no matter the tread wear.
SPARE ? make sure it is the same size as your existing tires? (YES, that is a replacement I need to make too)
SPARE ? make sure you can get the spare off? luck had it I had the right sized wrench?a lot of luck! Practise at home, because the side of the highway is not the way to learn
IF ONE TIRE GOES, the other will ? I found a tire place with a pair and decided I should do both? after taking ?good? tire off I found that the tread was separating away as well!!! I wouldn?t have gotten very far before that one went too.
IF THE TIRE GUY SAYS he is fully booked, and squeezes you in, stays after to help you install in the rain and doesn?t charge you for these services, TIP HIM WELL!!!!!

Hope you all enjoyed my little storey and learned a few things..............

Attachments

• At the Tire store outside of Columbus, OH.png
    At the Tire store outside of Columbus, OH.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 26
You better check the date on the spare. It won't do you any good if have to use it and blows out after traveling a few feet. Well maybe more.  :D

Part of my learning is that the spare is crap.... it is also a different size... so it is on the list of items "must get done" before the big trip.
:) it is likely older then the ones I was running on!!!!
Very good point ...

I was hoping to share my experience so that others would learn ..... I would have negotiated the price down if I knew I was buying new tires (and a rim) so soon after getting the trailer.

Glad to hear you are safe and your trailer/vehicle/ wa not damaged more than what you listed. Sharing your story may save someone else from the same situation, or an even worse outcome.

Unfortunately, unless one does research or a fellow rver mentions the tire codes and shares knowledge regarding safety issues with camping tires, how is a person to know? When I had my pop up for several years, I had no idea. Never put tires on it once. Fortunately, I never had a tire issue.

Hope you enjoy your traveling going forward and stay safe!

And when you buy a new tire, learn how to read the date codes and always look at the tire before you let them put it on.  Yes, they may get insulted that you are accusing them of putting on old stock, but do it anyway!!  You should not buy a "new" tire that has been sitting in a warehouse for years. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom