Easy Start 364 or Hard Start Capacitor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhfromme

I'm wondering if someone can tell me the pros and cons of using the Easy Start 364 soft start kit as opposed to just going with a hard start capacitor. The goal here is to run my 13,500 btu Dometic AC unit on a single 2000 watt inverter generator. I'm guessing spending the $300 on the Easy Start 364 is advantageous to just wiring in a $15 capacitor but can someone explain why? I'm reading the $15 capacitor will get the job done but there has to be a downside. Any wisdom on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how much you know about electrical theory, but basically the Easy Start 364 is a variable frequency drive for A/C units.  What that means in layman's terms is that this piece of equipment has the ability to change the  120 volt, 60 cycles per second to 120 volt, but a lower frequency.  This particular unit has 4 preset frequency settings and in effect "ramps" the compressor motor speed up to full speed over a pre determined time period......instead of just putting full voltage AND fuel frequency when starting.  So your question probably is.....why change the input frequency to the motor?  And the answer is this.  There are only two ways to change the speed of an AC Motor.
1.  The the number of poles in the motor.
2.  Change the frequency of the applied voltage.

Generally speaking, all AC motors in the US are designed to run on 60 cycle (60 Hz) and if you change that to let's say 30 Hz, that motor will run slower and the results will be less In rush starting current, which is what normally causes the generator to not have enough power to operate an A/C unit.  But if you can limit that in rush current by changing the input frequency (what the East start 364 does) you can make the generator work because the A/C unit isn't pulling that Locked Rotor Current which is approx. 4-5 times higher than the full load current.

See how easy that was!

Hard start did not work in the Florida heat for me. The Easy Start works very well for the third year of boondocking.

Attachments

• Lil Red 2.jpg
    Lil Red 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 35
Simplistically, the soft start such as the HyperEngineering or micro-air units intelligently control the inrush current and "spread" the required startup energy
over a longer period of time so to speak. the hard start capacitor is basically an extra "bucket of energy" that is "dumped" into the motor
all at once.

hard start kits usually work better on residential systems that have slightly low voltage but available amperage to kick a lazy motor into operation.
for RV generator use, one does not have the amperage available, so a soft starter is the preferred solution.

I have used many of these both single and three phase and they work well. //www.hypereng.com/
http://www.gen-pro.biz/shop

Bhfromme said:

I'm wondering if someone can tell me the pros and cons of using the Easy Start 364 soft start kit as opposed to just going with a hard start capacitor. The goal here is to run my 13,500 btu Dometic AC unit on a single 2000 watt inverter generator. I'm guessing spending the $300 on the Easy Start 364 is advantageous to just wiring in a $15 capacitor but can someone explain why? I'm reading the $15 capacitor will get the job done but there has to be a downside. Any wisdom on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

The other answers here pretty much tell the story. A hard start capacitor may help in some circumstances. The Easy Start 364 will work in every circumstance.

I think I already linked you to my previous post about the easystart 364. Please note that it not only works with a Honda 2000 watt generator, but it also works with my cheapie 2500 Watt pure sine inverter. Inverters are often more susceptible to high current spikes than a generator, which is often designed to tolerate those surges to some extent. Inverter electronics will often trip in a fraction of a cycle.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,115568.msg1044811.html#msg1044811

If you want it to just work, reliably, then get the easystart 364.

NewmanRacing said:
On the Micro Air web site, use discount code AIRSTREAM. $40.00 off.

You are welcome!

not sure if the microair has any advantage, but I have years of service on other equipment with the hyper eng unit
and I'm talking hundreds of thousands of starts, not a few hundred per season on an RV..

http://www.gen-pro.biz/product-page/single-phase-115v-12-20-rla

been $229 for years, you are also welcome.!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom