Who owns a Generac 14 KW standby home generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I need to adjust the valve clearance on my generator. The owners manual says to remove the screen on the end of the engine, then using a socket on the flywheel nut, rotate the engine to put the piston a TDC. I would have to do some major disassembling of the entire generator cover in order to get to the flywheel nut. Anyone done this before?

How about pull a spark plug and when the piston reaches the top of travel, you can be pretty sure it's at TDC.

Oops,,, nevermind.  How to turn the engine over ?  I remember we used to touch 2 terminals on the starter of a car to turn the engine over,,, maybe the starter is accessible.

How about pull a spark plug and when the piston reaches the top of travel, you can be pretty sure it's at TDC.

That works but Ren?'s problem is how to get the wrench onto the flywheel nut without disassembling a lot of stuff in order to turn the the crank shaft for a piston to reach TDC . Removing the plug helps of course, much easier to turn over.

We used to adjust the valve clearances while running the car engine itself.

Happy disassembly Ren?!! ;D

I did a little more looking at it and found that by removing one access panel on the generator end, held on with 7 small bolts, I was then very easily able to turn the engine over just buy rotating the cooling fan on the end by hand. No need of a wrench. Of course with the plugs out.  Then looking into the spark plug hole and the valve covers off, I rotated the engine till both valves were closed and the piston was at TDC. Then I adjusted the rockers per the manual.
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom