Towing Honda CRV Manual or Automatic Transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdengler

I'm looking for a toad to pull behind my Winnebago Aspect 26.  I'm thinking of a Honda CRV 2014 or older of course.  I find lots of conversation about people who have towed these but most reference the process for towing an automatic transmission unit.  What about manual transmission units.  The Dinghy Towing guide says, "Yes" to automatic transmission but N/A to manual transmission.  What does that mean?

Well, that answers that question.  What if I buy a 2005 with manual transmission?

You'll find manuals to be quite rare.  I tried to find a 2006 Element (same frame & running gear as CRV) and gave up after months of searching.  The other thing about the manuals is that they are geared very low.  At 65 MPH the engine is turning 1,000 RPM more than the auto.  I've come across articles about how to put an Acura overdrive in the Element manual transmission.

There is no problem with towing the auto.  Run it long enough to warm it up, run it through the gears a couple of times, and don't go from reverse to neutral right before towing, always from Dr to neutral.  We've got thousands of towing miles on ours and the only problem we've had was self inflicted.  (Left the e-brake partially on)

I change 1/3 of the transmission fluid with every oil change but that's the way many CRV/Element owners do their own maintenance.  Once you've changed your own you'll understand why.

Our 2008 is the DWs daily driver.  She still loves it, fading paint and all.  (It's red)

We tow a 2006 CRV, automatic, and it tows very well.  I wouldn't want a manual and that's just me.

Thanks for the input everyone.  Anyone have a suggested site to search for toad vehicles for sale?

If you men vehicles already equipped with base plates for towing, try the classified ads on RV sites (like this one).  If you mean any vehicle that can be used as a dinghy with the appropriate equipment added, then no, there is no such place.

Back
Top Bottom