Freight and Dealer Prep question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jorgeoliva

Well this is my quest for my first travel trailer been shopping here in Miami for a TT and it amaze me all dealer that give you a price they call it "rock Bottom price" have a hidden price that pops out in the paperwork (freight and prep) we saw a 2019 avenger 21ft they quoted me $17,999 when I ask for a detail price BAMMM there was a $1,600 freight and prep added to the $17,999 is this a rip off addition or do every dealer plays this game. we finally decided to wait for the west palm beach rv show coming in November. 

Most play the game. What is worse is the MSRP on identical units can be different depending on which dealer orders the unit. They do it to offer a bigger discount off list. The only way to avoid the shenanigans is to find a rig you like and then go in and make a reasonable BOTTOM LINE OFFER.
That is walk in give the guy your name and phone number. Tell him you are prepared to sign the contract today but your bottom line price is $?-----with only actual title and tags added on. Tell the guy you do not intend to dicker It is a yes or no. State that if no you are prepared to walk because you will not dicker. If he says no walk out the door. If your price is reasonable he will call you.
That said I would never buy a new rig specially my first rig. To much downside not enough upside

Offer the dealer an "OUT THE DOOR" price.  I will give you $18,300 and you give me this camper with all paperwork, tax and title and plates included.

I bought a used car 2 weeks ago like this.  The dealer has a $500 "Document fee", which I despise.  We settled on a bottom line price.  The doc fee was still there, but the car price came down another $500 to make room for it.

They can write it this way, they can write it that way.  Bottom line, what is your bottom line?  As others stated, know what you should pay, what your options are, and try to keep it a business transaction and not an emotional transaction.  Salespeople prey on emotions.
Good luck

ps:  I must agree with others, I'd buy a used one as your first adventure.  Many barely used, perfect TT for thousands less.  Check out the mom & pop RV sales places, look at their reviews. 

I walked on a TT at Camping World because the salesperson gave me the bottom price and I said yes.  then she added a $1333 fee because I was paying cash and then she added
$1100 for dealer prep and delivery.  I asked her what her definition of selling price was and walked.  I went to a dealer close to my home and he informed me that the price listed on the sheet taped to the table included everything but taxes, title, and license.  I went and looked at the TT again with my wife that afternoon and we signed the paperwork on the spot.  That was 4 weeks ago and the trailer was a new, never used 2017.  We got about 40% off of list price.  We are happy with it so far.

I also like the "out the door price"
That's how I roll.
RV dealers like shenanigans. I've not the patience nor ability to play.
As Ron White says "I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability."

every research I do say a good deal is 20 to 30% off MSRP but how do I know what is the true MSRP of a TT and not the one the dealer post

Jorgeoliva said:
every research I do say a good deal is 20 to 30% off MSRP but how do I know what is the true MSRP of a TT and not the one the dealer post

You don't. Your research, research, research should be looking at what price the  rigs are listed at around the country then figure out what you care to offer. Whatever you do you cannot go to the dealer with your heart set on a particular model. A good salesman will be able to smell the want.

Again I think new used is a better option for lots of reasons. If you want to know why ask and we will be glad to tell you. 

The factory MSRP is supposed to include dealer prep, but not shipping.    These pricing shenanigans began when buyers began to insist on steep discounts as the norm, i.e. they "learned" on the internet that they should demand 30% of MSRP.  Few dealers have enough sales volume to stay in business at that price, so they came up with ways to make the deal appear attractive without cutting their margin too badly.  Buyers who are focused on the discount percentage or the ad price too often let the extras slide right by.

Regardless, the only price that means anything is "out the door", which includes any & all dealer charges, taxes, tag fees, etc.  It's also the only basis for comparing prices from two or more dealers.

Unlike with cars, there is no law requiring that the factory MSRP be posted on the vehicle. Many dealers make up their own "list price" sheet and it is often inflated with extras like "paint protection", "make ready", delivery charge", and similar wording.    Ask the dealer for the factory MSRP sheet for that particular RV - some, perhaps many, will oblige. If they won't, you should assume the price sheet they have displayed is significantly inflated.  Some the the factories, e.g. Tiffin,  used to oblige if someone requested an MSRP price on a particular model/options, but I'm not sure which still do that.  Some, like Fleetwood, let you "Build & Price" on their website.

Gently  used newer units have most of the problems worked out  RV's right now are usually  manufactured quickly without much (if any) quality control (there are a few exceptions with high end units). So that the first owner sometimes spends LOTS of time at the dealer taking care of problems. It is not unusual to hear of units being at the dealers for 30-45 days to get simple warranty work done.  Newer used has the problems taken care of already by the first owner.

The depreciation on a new unit is much worse than an automobile. So if you do not like the unit or decide RVing is not for you you will take a huge hit when you sell.
The appliances are pretty much standard in all units and are pretty bullet proof so the odds of getting a lemon stove, water heater etc are small.

darsben said:
You don't. Your research, research, research should be looking at what price the  rigs are listed at around the country then figure out what you care to offer. Whatever you do you cannot go to the dealer with your heart set on a particular model. A good salesman will be able to smell the want.

Again I think new used is a better option for lots of reasons. If you want to know why ask and we will be glad to tell you.
I must respectfully disagree.  I understand your reasoning, and you are right on that part.  However, the correct floor plan, which is model specific, is critically important.  Do not allow the salesman take advantage of that desire.  Know how much you are willing to pay BEFORE you go to the lot (bottom line price) and stand your ground.  And yes, walk for a measly $100 difference!

I also agree on the gently used option for all of the reasons stated.

We found a 2012 Cruiser RV FUNFINDER 215 WSK out the door price for $13,870 that's with everything Tax, tittle prep its in supreme condition I mean this rig looks like new its from a dealer wife is nervous because its a 2012 what do you guys think.

Jorgeoliva said:
We found a 2012 Cruiser RV FUNFINDER 215 WSK out the door price for $13,870 that's with everything Tax, tittle prep its in supreme condition I mean this rig looks like new its from a dealer wife is nervous because its a 2012 what do you guys think.
I drive a 1990 motor home have a 1990 fifth wheel. So if it checks out go for it.
However.
The tires need changing I repeat the tires need changing. If they are the original tires they have aged out even if they look pristine they are aged out.
Did you climb on the roof? You need to. Look at the caulk and all areas to make sure there is no damage. Then go into the unit and look at the ceiling in the closets and at the edge for water intrusion.  Does it have a slide? Then look under and over the slide with it out. .

Lastly make sure that it is in the contract that "you no pay" till everything delivered IN WORKING ORDER
Find your self a good predelivery checklist and use it.
The forum library has one at
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/15-checklists/69-pre-delivery-checklist-for-trailers
Alternately spend a couple of bucks and have a professional do the inspection for you.
MY recommendation is a mobile RV tech to look the unit over. You will then have someone that will come to your house and do any needed repairs in the future and you have established a rapport with the guy. Use your checklist and be there when he does the inspection. YOU WILL LEARN A LOT

PS If you like the unit have him throw in the basic camping necessities. Water hose, sewer hose, leveling jacks, full propane tanks. If you do not have a place to store it then ask for 6 months (or a year) free storage if the guy has lots of room at the dealership.

ASK ASK AsK

I bought a 2009 model FW last October.  He said it was in pristine condition, and it looked it.  However, the water heater electric element was bad ($10), it needed a new battery ($100) and the Sleep Number bed did not work. (It did when we inspected it, not when we got it home. $75 for new pump / electronics / remote).

In short, you WILL miss  something, hopefully small.  Do not fret the little stuff!  In my case, the RV sold for over $70K new.  We paid $26K plus title & tax (private seller).  I am VERY happy with our purchase!  We can make lots of repairs and pay for lots of camping for $40,000!!!

Darsben is very correct about the tires!  Check the manufacture date.  If it needs new tires, make sure the new ones are less than 6 months old and you may be wise to get one load range higher rated tires (LR E to replace LR D, for example)

I bought my Puma TT last year, 2012 model, darn near perfect condition.  Couldn't be more happy  :)

I bought my Toy Hauler from RV Outlet U.S.A. in VA, and their pricing (which was 30-31% off of MSRP) AND included freight and setup charges.  This was NOT an older unit that was new, this was a 2017 that had just arrived at the dealership that day.......this was in Oct. 2016.  The only other costs associated with the purchase was of course state sales tax, license and title work......which of course is impossible to avoid.  Lots of dealerships will have a pre-printed form that will have a fixed amount for paperwork fees also.....many times in the hundreds of $$$.  I told them I do not care what the paperworks shows, it's the bottom line dollar amount that I will either accept or walk away from.  Here is my price for that particular unit (excepting sales tax, license, and title)......you either say yes we  have a deal or no we don't.  I'm not haggling and I'm not sticking around for you to try and bust my price upwards....so take it or leave it.

Jorgeoliva said:
Well this is my quest for my first travel trailer been shopping here in Miami for a TT and it amaze me all dealer that give you a price they call it "rock Bottom price" have a hidden price that pops out in the paperwork (freight and prep) we saw a 2019 avenger 21ft they quoted me $17,999 when I ask for a detail price BAMMM there was a $1,600 freight and prep added to the $17,999 is this a rip off addition or do every dealer plays this game. we finally decided to wait for the west palm beach rv show coming in November.

If a seller adds freight and prep to a "rock Bottom price" you don't have to by the RV from them.
See a  different seller and ask for a  "rock bottom price which includes EVERYTHING... including freight, prep, tax, title and plates.
Remember that you are in control of the purse strings...(but only until you sign the contract).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom