Inflatables used as a dinghy v a pleasurecraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

side question.... a bit off track, sorry

I've been around small boats most of my life but I've never really understood this
why is it that I only ever notice inflatables like that used as a dingy, and not just used as a pleasure boat in it's own right?
I don't believe I've ever been aboard one, but it seems like it would make a decent little seaworthy boat... probably better than a lot of the regular fiberglass runabouts and skiffs that I've seen

Brad, I split this off into its own topic. One (maybe limited) perspective ...

Space aside, there are inflatables and inflatables. Jim (Wasoki) and I have/had what is called a RIB, aka rigid inflatable boat; They have a fiberglass hull with inflatable tubes attached. These are very stable, sit "high" in the water, can handle rougher water, and usually are rated for a higher hp engine. Ours is 13 ft long and has a 40hp engine. It also has an off-center console/helm with a steering wheel and throttle/gear shift, in addition to comfortable seats. That fiberglass hull makes it quite heavy, and tough to carry on a larger boat without a davit or crane, so many folks tow them. Our mother boat has a hydraulic swim platform, making it much easier to carry the RIB.

Non-RIB inflatables are much lighter and easier to carry aboard as a dinghy. They usually have a stern-mounted outboard engine with a tiller, and they often have less comfortable "plank" seats (a solid piece of fiberglass). Their inflatable keel means that they're a lot more "flexible" (and uncomfortable) in rough water.

There's an in-between type of inflatable that has a "rigid bottom", often pieces of wood inserted on the floor of the boat. They're frequently meant to be "rolled up" after use (after removing the wood floor), but my experience with this type of inflatable was such that it wasn't easy putting it together and taking it apart; As a result, it was kept inflated with the floor inserted.

All 3 versions of inflatables make great boats for toodling around the neighborhood, but their comfort level in rough water varies..

FWIW when we lived in the UK, the Royal National Lifeboat Institute used near-unsinkable lifeboats for offshore rescue, but their inshore boats were all Avon inflatables, and considered quite safe.

Attachments

• Dinghy_doggies-small.jpg
    Dinghy_doggies-small.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 14
[quote author=Tom6]... the Royal National Lifeboat Institute used near-unsinkable lifeboats for offshore rescue...[/quote]
Here's a video of a typical RNLI capsize test on their lifeboats before being put into service.

Tom, I've been considering a small (2-3 person) dingy to take along just to putt around and try some fishing (the fish are in no danger whatsoever  ::) ). Just something that could accept say 5hp. At first I was thinking of a Portabote, but they're a little pricey. Then I considered a small Jon boat, seems fairly easy to come by. However, by the time this happens I'll be towing a fiver and don't want to fuss with double tow. Figured perhaps I could put a rack on top of the crew cab but I think even a very small Jon boat would be too much to muscle up there. Even considered a rack on the back of the trailer where the boat could ride vertically, transom down, but again starting to feel overly complicated. So I've started considering an inflatable that would be reasonably easy to deflate and roll up and throw in the truck. Any thoughts?

Scott, there are roll-up inflatables and roll-up inflatables. Where do you plan to use it (e.g. lakes)? A boat that's both rugged and seaworthy is likely to be too heavy for one person to deploy and roll up. One that's easy to manhandle will likely be made of PVC. I haven't (yet) looked around very much (there are a bunch out there), but Mercury makes a decent sized roll-up that weighs just under 50 lbs and is rated for a 4hp motor. See here.

[quote author=Sun2Retire9]I could put a rack on top of the crew cab but I think even a very small Jon boat would be too much to muscle up there.[/quote]
Boatloader makes something that will easily lift a boat onto a rack and lower it again. I don't know what they cost, but it would allow you to take along a decent/safe/stable aluminum boat.

Thanks Tom. I did look at boatloader - since I would have to load the boat from the front of the truck I'd need a substantial rack that went out over the hood, and this boat idea is barely more than a lark. The type of boat I'm talking about would be strictly inland, small lakes relatively near shore and smooth rivers. Something like that Mercury looks like all I would need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom