Maine moose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were in Maine for a week and didn't see any moose.  Did a lot of driving through the woods looking for moose and nada, never saw one.  Then we went to Nova Scotia and never saw any moose.  On our return to California, we took the Canadian route and returned via Sault Saint Marie.  The only things resembling moose were those signs on the Canadian highway that warned of moose crossings.  Then, finally in Glacier National Park, the Northern entrance, we finally saw a moose. 

Take a ride out to Seboomook. It is on the northern edge of Moosehead.  As said, "go slow" and watch for ponds and swampy areas, they will be there!  Have fun!

HappyWanderer said:
They will pop up when least expected, as my friend on his motorcycle found out one afternoon.

Back in the usenet days, I was on a Harley newsgroup.  One of the members had a moose run in front of him.  He laid the bike on it's side and slid under the moose.  Unfortunately(for the moose)the end of the handlebar caught the moose's gut and disemboweled it.  I think it was said that for a couple of years after that, every time he started the bike you could smell burnt moose.

I have only seen meese (two moose) once but never in places where I was looking for them.  One morning I woke up and opened the curtains in our bedroom and there stood two glorious meese not 10 feet from the house munching on I know not what because the house was new and no grass was growing yet but it was early spring.  Where was this?  On our 6 acre homestead in Northeast North Dakota, land that is flat as a table top and almost totally cleared of free growing trees because the area is some of the best farmland in the country - pitch black soil. 
BUT there are a lot of man planted shelterbelts every half mile or so and the moose tend to run through those and feed on crops or grasses I guess.  These two just wandered around a bit and as soon as I got my camera, loaded it with film and looked out again they were gone into a shelter belt.  Next day a neighbor told me of a big bull moose that in a previous year had stampeded through his barb wire fence and took down almost a quarter mile of it.  You don't forget a moose when you see it.  Good luck.

Bill

Wyoming used to have large numbers of moose....before the wolf re-introduction! The Hams Fork River drainage (very small river in Lincoln County) had approx. 600 or more moose back in the late ?80?s. During the winter, some would spend their time wandering around town (Kemmerer), or ?camped-out? at the golf course!

The plural of moose is moose, not mooses nor meese as in goose to geese.  One of the vagaries of our English language!

ArdraF

Memtb said:
  Wyoming used to have large numbers of moose....before the wolf re-introduction! The Hams Fork River drainage (very small river in Lincoln County) had approx. 600 or more moose back in the late ?80?s. During the winter, some would spend their time wandering around town (Kemmerer), or ?camped-out? at the golf course!
Actually I think they have the same number of moose but the wolves have caused them not to congregate so obviously. The wolves changed the ecology.

ArdraF said:
The plural of moose is moose, not mooses nor meese as in goose to geese.  One of the vagaries of our English language!

ArdraF
And the plural of deer is deer, etc. The only place I ever came across meese was a cartoon, a cat saying, "I hate meeses to pieces." Obviously this had nothing to do with a moose.

SeilerBird said:
Actually I think they have the same number of moose but the wolves have caused them not to congregate so obviously. The wolves changed the ecology.
  As someone who has lived here for over 30 years.....I beg to differ!  But, if changing the ecology means far less moose....I guess you are correct!

Memtb said:
  As someone who has lived here for over 30 years.....I beg to differ!  But, if changing the ecology means far less moose....I guess you are correct!
I don't have any idea if I am correct or not. But I am wondering if you are correct where did the mooses (sorry Ardra) go? Did they move out of the area? Did they die? If so why did they die?

My wife and I spend quite a bit of time in the field, know many hunters, a few guides, many property owners, and a couple of Wyoming Game and Fish Officers, the  consensus of opinion as to the common denominator....wolves!
    You’re likely, as not to see a difference of opinion by those of the many animal rights groups, etc! My evaluations based are our own observations and of those that spend the lives living in and amongst these animals in their habitat!
    I chose to believe what I see, and the words of those living here, rather than someone with a  (very) biased agenda!

And yes they died! The young are very susceptible to predators, if the young do not live to reproduce....the population declines!

Don't know about the rest of Wyoming, but the folks at Yellowstone seem pretty pleased with the way the re-introduction is going.

Wouldn't have had to re-introduce the wolves if greedy cattlemen hadn't killed them all off...just sayin'.

ArdraF said:

ArdraF
Speaking for myself, I was saying meese just being funny. I amuse myself lol, but yeah English is so random.

Old_Crow said:
Don't know about the rest of Wyoming, but the folks at Yellowstone seem pretty pleased with the way the re-introduction is going.

Wouldn't have had to re-introduce the wolves if greedy cattlemen hadn't killed them all off...just sayin'.

The majority of the ?people? in Yellowstone are not Wyoming Natives.....and make much of their money ?milking? the tourists who want to see nature! Most of the tourists wouldn?t enjoy seeing a wolf pack, hamstring and disembowel numerous elk in a killing spree. Killing many, eating little!

Without getting political.....they should have never been ?introduced?! It wasn?t like ?they? were endangered, in their natural environment (they ?introduced? .....not re-introdced Canadian Wolves). We....the citizens of Wyoming (as have our dogs, livestock, and wildlife) have paid ?dearly? since their introduction!

But, thankfully some semblance if intelligence has ?reared it?s head?, and we can attempt to control their numbers and expansion!  Looking forward to my part!

SeilerBird said:
Well that is sad that they are dying off. :'(

Thanks!  It is sad that their numbers are substantially lower, they are really are neat animals to share the backcountry (or downtown) with!

ArdraF said:

ArdraF

Thanks Ardra.  I think I knew that but it was a lot more fun using meese............lol

Here's the links to a couple of stories I forgot to attach to my post.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/park/yellowstone-wolves-reintroduction

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem

Obviously the wolves were there first, everything in nature was as it should be, then man came along and killed the wolves for pelts and so they could raise more cattle without interference.  You can say what you want, but it all boils down to human greed killing off yet another species of animals, just like they're doing in the rain forests of South America and elsewhere.

You get your information from the sources you prefer, and I mine! We’re not likely to change each other’s opinion!  However, one of my ongoing life’s ambitions....is to drop every one, that is legal to do so!  Subject dropped!

I believe it's RT 15/6 that goes right into Greenville. If I remember right you will pass the DOT garage on the right goingInto Greenville the moose used to go to the pond by the road at dusk and early in AM. I spent two summers there in small RV park.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom