Best Fifth Wheel Hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene T said:
You do not need to have a gooseneck ball installed to use this hitch. You can have rails installed instead. You'll need to get prices for a gooseneck ball installed versus the standard rails then you decide which would be better for you. I have rails in mine and it doesn't bother me. They only stick up about an inch.

I think I read somewhere that the version which uses the gooseneck ball can sometimes twist in the bed, is this true? If yes I would find that somewhat disconcerting.

Sun2Retire said:
I think I read somewhere that the version which uses the gooseneck ball can sometimes twist in the bed, is this true? If yes I would find that somewhat disconcerting.

I can't answer that but we have a few here with that style of installation. I'll let them respond. I do know that the device used to tighten everything has to be torqued to a certain value. If it's not torqued, I can see where it could rotate a little.

I've installed mine to the torque specs listed.  I'm not going to say what they are, because frankly I don't want to mis-quote them.  I keep the instructions in the seat back in the truck and I look at them each time I install it.  My profession as taught me to do as little safety critical stuff as possible from memory, so I like having the checklist and info available each time. 

All of that is to say...I haven't had mine move a millimeter. 

$1500 seemed high to me at first, but I can't remember...I think mine totaled $2000 for the turnover ball installation, a wiring harness/plug installed in the bed (GM has it in the bumper from the factory), the Anderson, and a spray in bedliner. 

Scott:

Since you do not have the truck yet, simply make a gooseneck ball a required option.  Then, the price is included in the truck purchase.  I had several requirements when shopping (personal preferences)  Lariat or higher trim (to get dual climate control), bucket seats for better console, Adobe / tan seats, black is too hot!, gooseneck hitch, diesel.  This eliminates many trucks, but I only wanted one!

The hitch can twist a bit, as has been noted on other threads here.  My manual says torque to 50 lb-ft, and retorque after the camper is attached.  I noted MINOR twisting after one trip - not continuous twisting on every turn.  One source here said Andersen approves up to 100 lb-ft torque if twisting is an issue.  One suggestion I saw was to install a rubber bed mat under the hitch to reduce twisting.

For everyone touting the Andersen hitch, yes they are light and convenient but they cannot pass the SAE J2638 test for gooseneck and fifth wheel hitches. The work hardening of the aluminum during the cycle phase of the test causes it to fail early. There's no free lunch when it comes to safely towing a trailer.

In my previous truck I had the Ultimate Anderson hitch mainly because of payload issues and with it being light it was good for that. I also liked how easy it was to put in or take out. The only gripe I had was how high you had to raise the trailer to hitch or unhook. It seemed to me to put unnecessary wear on the fifth wheel landing gears. I have since moved up in truck so now payload is not a problem so I sold it and bought a B&W fifth wheel hitch that works with the Ram "puck" system I now have. So far it works fine.

lone_star_dsl said:
For everyone touting the Andersen hitch, yes they are light and convenient but they cannot pass the SAE J2638 test for gooseneck and fifth wheel hitches. The work hardening of the aluminum during the cycle phase of the test causes it to fail early. There's no free lunch when it comes to safely towing a trailer.
Do you have a link to these failed tests. I'd like to read them.

Mike

My feelings are controversial in that if they wanted you to put your rv on a gooseneck ball they would have manufactured it to connect that way. The fifth wheel spreads the load out and simplifies the procedure of hooking up tremendously. I would never use anything other than a traditional hitch. Don't bother flaming me you won't change my mind.

Sun2Retire said:

I have a Curt goose-neck ball.  It is slightly taller than a regular ball, such as a Reese.  By maybe 1/8" or so.  The Andersen hitch was tight on the bolts, but moved slightly in the bed.  I called Andersen, and they sent me a new middle square sleeve that matched with the taller ball.  All is 100% tight in the bed now.

I towed for ~3,000 miles that way and no issues.

The Andersen is more of a weight distribution hitch.  The weight is spread out in the bed of the truck, not on the ball and then to the frame.  If your truck bed is all rusted, you cannot use an Andersen hitch.

spdracr39 said:
My feelings are controversial in that if they wanted you to put your rv on a gooseneck ball they would have manufactured it to connect that way. The fifth wheel spreads the load out and simplifies the procedure of hooking up tremendously. I would never use anything other than a traditional hitch. Don't bother flaming me you won't change my mind.

To each their own.  I feel the same way about my Andersen, so me must agree to disagree on this point.  I am sure there are many places we agree!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom