Long bed or short bed for towing a fifth wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olblgy

Over the last 23 years we have moved up from 2 different pop ups and a 31 foot Jayco.  Getting ready to go fulltime with a fifth wheel.  I think it?s going to be 36-38 foot, a short bed truck is more maneuverable but I?m not sure about towing a fifth wheel with one.  Any and all input would be appreciated!

Bob

Olblgy said:
Over the last 23 years we have moved up from 2 different pop ups and a 31 foot Jayco.  Getting ready to go fulltime with a fifth wheel.  I think it?s going to be 36-38 foot, a short bed truck is more maneuverable but I?m not sure about towing a fifth wheel with one.  Any and all input would be appreciated!

Bob

As long as the kingpin is located over the rear axle and the trailer is fairly new with rounded corners, you should have any problems. I have a Reese sliding hitch in mine and never had to use it.

My personal opinions would be: short box.....a little more maneuverable, handling a ?wash? between the two, long box....offers enough bed for a tool box ( below bed rails), and other gear ( fuel for generator, small propane bottle for grill, assorted oils, fuel treatments, antifreeze, etc.). And all of that in front of the hitch, leaving room behind hitch for other gear.

If it is not ?clearly? obvious....I wouldn?t have anything other than a long box!

I have a short box 2017 Chevy with the Anderson Fifth Wheel Connection...I've never had an issue and it drives great.  Like previously mentioned, newer 5ers should have rounded front ends which buy you some space.  I can basically get the truck 90 degrees to the camper without issue...not that I've ever needed that much. 

You guys need to update your terminology. The truck builders changed it some years ago and "short" is now 5.5 ft and unsuitable for a 5W.  What used to be "short" (6.5 ft) is now called a "standard bed". "Long" is still 8 ft.

If you ask for a short bed, or the salesman offers you one, you might get surprised by how short it is!

Everybody has different takes on this, but IMHO, I've had both over the years, a long bed (8 feet) and what I have now, is the way to go. Smoother ride and lessens worries as to your trailer having "issues" with your TV.  Also, gives some extra room in the bed for additional items. Toolbox and generator, etc.

Gary is very correct on the current terminology.

I do not believe a short (5'6" bed) is available on 3500 /  F350 models.

The modern standard bed is fully compatible with modern FW campers.  No sliders needed except for very unusual circumstances.  The real question is do YOU prefer a standard bed or long bed.

You WILL need a 1 ton truck for any FW except a fairly small one.  The 1 ton SRW models are the same dimensions and same trim options as their 3/4 ton cousins.  There is less than $1000 price difference new, even less difference used.  The 1 ton SRW will increase your payload by over half a ton.

Sun2Retire said:
Tall, Venti, Trenta  ;)

Gary is 100% correct.  I have a 6 1/2' bed with a standard (non-Slideing) hitch.  Going forward I can't turn short enough to contact my 2018 5th wheel.  Backing up, yes, even with a long bed you can put the trailer into the truck.  If I get that close I pull up to straighten out a bit.  I recently saw a 5th wheel hitch that was a auto slide.  More moving parts but works going forward or backing up according to the owner.  It does take up more of the bed of the truck. Here's one explained on a youtube video      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXj62-FDfCQ    I sure the cost is more for this hitch but if you're someone who isn't sure of what they're doing, it may be cheaper in the long run.

Best of luck on what ever you decide.

Wi1dBi11

Longer wheel base will tow better.
Maybe less maneuverable, however that stability on the road is more desirable.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
"Long" is still 8 ft.

I wish that was true. There are many dealers now referring to the 6.5' bed as "LB" in online ads. As I am searching for an actual long (8') bed, it makes the searching very frustrating.

The longer the wheelbase the nicer the ride for sure and generally a longer wheelbase gives more payload, the additional box space always comes in handy especially if you fulltime and the parking thing you get used too in a hurry and the extra 30 feet walking distance needed to park a long box is exercise lol.
Yes in short they are a bit of a pain but well worth it imo

Having started out with 3/4 ton standard bed and then moving up to 1 ton drw with long bed no question, I prefer the latter for stability and room in the bed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom