Well now we did it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooney 78865

A few weeks ago my wife and I went over to Camping World for a set of angled valve stem extension for our 2001 Four winds Infinity 34'. We had bought the coach a year and a half ago for a great price that left us with money in the budget to put in new flooring as well as all new furniture. (link here http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,110457.0.html) As luck would have it, Camping World is next door to RV country. We had been looking halfheartedly at upgrading and had looked at a few used Monaco coaches as well as a few Tiffin units. I had been surfing the net and had seen a 2014 Georgetown 378XL they had listed and asked if she would like to see it. Long story short she fell in love with it. With the exception of the furniture it is pristine! (furniture needs re upholstery)
When we asked to see it, the sales staff couldn't even find the coach! After an hour of going in and out of the sales department they were able to locate it. The sales guy asked if this was the unit I was looking at as he handed me inventory sheet. It was, and I noticed that the unit had been in inventory for over 320 days! At the time, the coach was as you might expect, completely filthy outside as well as pretty dusty inside. The sales guy was actually embarrassed! We walked away, thinking it was a huge lump. The next Friday the salesman called saying that the coach had been detailed and asked if we would like to see it again. So off we went Saturday to see what we thought would be a pretty disappointing unit. Boy were we wrong! With the exception of the flaking furniture, it was amazing! The exterior is PERFECT! Inside was scary sharp! The wife and I fiddled with what we could figure out and eventually took it out on a test drive of about 50 miles. Still, we were not that enthused about buying a new to us coach that would need furniture work so we hemmed and hawed and eventually left saying we wanted to sell our Four Winds bla, bla, bla. I listed the Four Winds that night, it sold the next day, cash buyer! Spoke to the salesman and started haggling on this and that. We eventually settled on what we think was a fantastic price (considerably below low retail), a new set of tires, and a very short list of fix it's. With the test drive I have put about 110 miles on it and it drives/runs flawless. We spent the weekend detailing, discussing what to do with the furniture, eventually settling on having it reupholstered. On the way back to the storage yard the odometer turned over 7,500 miles.
We are planning a trip to Yellowstone in a few weeks for the shakedown. That will be a 2,000 mile round trip and should shed some info on what life will really be like.
Anyone need a pair of valve stem extenders??

Things happen for a reason!  Congratulations... Let us know how you get on with it.  Safe travels.

That sounds like it was just meant to be....it all fell into place.  Enjoy!!!

So a quick update on the new coach.  We've had it about 4 weeks and are planning on leaving for Yellowstone this Friday, assuming we see the furniture back on Thursday as promised.  The good and bad of it all is we have been sans furniture for about 3 weeks so getting from storage to the house has been a bit of a pain. The "warts" we have identified so far have only been repairing the connection on one of the side cameras, flushing all of the tanks and sanitizing the potable water system along with a good flush and cleaning of the hot water system. Even adjusted one slide to get a better seal when closed. We have run everything! TV's, appliances, heaters, AC, the works.  If there were filters to be changed or service to be performed it's done. New tires from the dealer when we picked it up, full service on the engine. We're feeling pretty good about it and plan the first leg as the "shake down".  That will only be about 175 miles as we are leaving early afternoon.  Fingers crossed!

Well, were back!  We did receive our newly reupholstered furniture Thursday morning before leaving on our "shake down" trip Friday. So we figured we were as prepared as possible before leaving.  2,800 miles round trip from Clovis CA, to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Cody, and back.  To say the entire trip was uneventful would be a little exaggerated, but in reality, it went very well. The biggest issue was the inverter for the residential refrigerator.  I thought I had figured the system out prior to leaving, but, reality set in the first day when I could not keep it working.  Not a huge deal as everything worked on shore power, and after checking out the charging system and confirming all was in order there, we purchased two new batteries in Lyman WY.  What seems to have happened was the dealership installed a couple "demo" batteries so we could look at the coach. These were a pair of group 24 batteries.  These batteries would not hold a charge nor take the load from the refrigerator for any amount of time.  Once replaced with a set of group 27 batteries, everything fell into place and worked perfectly. The other issue is our Onan 5500 will only run for about 10 minutes at a time, again, not a huge issue for this trip.  That said, I think I have a handle on the issue and should have it sorted out this weekend. Which will be good as we are off the following weekend for a 3 day 2 night event that we will have to boondock.
The 14 year difference between our Four Winds Infinity and the Georgetown was a lot more than we expected.  Sure we had a feeling during the test drive that it was quieter, but in real life, it was CONSIDERABLY quieter! Wind noise was non existent, the creaks and groans we worked so hard on in the Infinity were a non issue.  Drivability is vastly improved, with more HP, torque, and a couple more gears in the trans.  And I really love the "tow/haul" mode!  I won't even get into the difference between 19.5" wheels vs. 22.5". We, (I really mean my wife) were looking for a coach with a bit more room.  What we ended up with is so much more!  We've been home for 2 days and haven't stopped talking about it.  VERY happy with the purchase!

Attachments

• 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom