Great weather app for viewing lightning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I recently discovered WeatherBug, a great app for the phone that shows lightning strikes in real time. It puts a little white dot that turns into a yellow icon in each location. The closest one is a red dot and there is a distance displayed. Now every time I hear thunder I turn it on. I have had a few lightning strikes here that scared the heck out of me. The lightning flash and the boom happened at the exact same moment and I would jump about ten feet in the air. I was certain that the lightning had struck the tree next to my house. My nephew lives a few hundred yards away thought the exact same thing. Now if that happens again I will get to see how close it really was.

Attachments

• weatherbug.jpg
    weatherbug.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 17
Yes, weatherbug is an excellent, versatile weather app. I've had that scare a time or two, though not recently. Of course sound travels at roughly 1100 ft/sec, thus 5 sec/mile, so it's very close indeed when they seem simultaneous.

Thanks Tom, I?m going to check it out. It?s been thundering all day where I am. Supposed to stop in a couple hours. The Weather Channel app shows the distance of last strike but I don?t think it has a map. I have a friend whose truck camper and truck were hit by lightning a couple weeks ago. Thankfully he was unharmed. All the electronics in his truck were fried. He doesn?t know the damage to camper yet.

Actually the Weather Channel app does show a map but I like yours better.

Attachments

• 8A2B6DF4-72A3-48CE-958A-B680CA4406FE.png
    8A2B6DF4-72A3-48CE-958A-B680CA4406FE.png
    255 KB · Views: 4
I am reading a book called Oh Florida and it says that Florida is the lightning strike capitol of the western hemisphere. Only Rwada gets more lightning strikes than we do.

Tom--I don't need an app for viewing lightning.  All I do is step out on my front porch. ;D ;D ::)

wackymac said:
Tom--I don't need an app for viewing lightning.  All I do is step out on my front porch. ;D ;D ::)
Lol, yes I can see them just sitting in my chair, lights up the house. The app doesn't really allow you to view the lightning, it shows on a map where the lightning strikes occur. It is just amazing to me to watch the strikes in real time. I can't figure out why the whole state doesn't burn up. The strikes are going at a rate of many per second. I think I am going to get some homeowners insurance.

Debra17 said:
Actually the Weather Channel app does show a map but I like yours better.
I downloaded the Weather Channel app to try it out. Looks pretty cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I also went to the WeatherBug web site and they have the lightning information there too. I now have four different weather sites I visit every day. theweathernetwork.com has the temp and humidity plus all the other numbers in one spot. I like it because across the top of the page I have it display the temp in Santa Cruz, where my sister lives, Lake Tahoe, where my other sister lives and Sandy Utah where my brother lives. Intellicast shows me a map of the whole country and the current radar. I also go to the NOAA National Hurricane Center page to keep track of the storms in the Atlantic.

For those who aren't aware, Weather Underground is another excellent weather app, and most of its weather stations are personal users everywhere -- there are at least two within half a mile of me. While there are lots of features, and many overlays for the radar map, I've not spotted a way to get lightning on there.

I used to use Weather Underground before I moved to Florida and it is an excellent site. I don't know why I quit using it, I must revisit it. Thanks for the reminder Larry. My favorite Android weather app on my phone is Yahoo! which is funny because in general I dislike Yahoo!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom