Is there a good state park near Springfield, MO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

We're looking for a place to meet family and Springfield or west of it is about half way for all of us.  The younger set isn't keen on Branson though and I don't know what else there is to do.  The older set can't do bungee jumping or zip lines, so we thought fishing and kayaking might please everyone.  One couple has a dog they like to take everywhere.  Any ideas?

https://mostateparks.com/ 

Looks like at least an hour drive time to a State park from Springfield, Mo.

Personally, I've been to Table Rock State Park and it's a real nice one.  Shaded, grassy picnic and camping spots, a nice lake, and a marina if you're also a boater.

Old_Crow said:
Personally, I've been to Table Rock State Park and it's a real nice one.  Shaded, grassy picnic and camping spots, a nice lake, and a marina if you're also a boater.
Thanks Old Crow.  Do you remember if ticks were bad there?  Dd who lives in St. Louis said none of the state parks allow spraying for insects.  We're hoping by fall they aren't so bad.

I've looked at the park reviews websites but I get a lot of bum steers from those too.

I second Table Rock. It's a good park with a lot to do, especially if you like water, and it's close enough to Branson that if anyone in your group wants to see the town, they can. You're going to have to be on the lookout for ticks wherever you go in Missouri if you're in the woods or wilderness. I lived in the St. Louis area for over 30 years and know from experience, having traveled the Ozarks extensively as a kid.

Table Rock has excellent state park camping. As far as ticks Walmart sell Sawyers Pyrmetheren (sic) to spray your shoes , socks jeans with and it will keep the ticks away. The articles must be sprayed and dried before you put them on , but it lasts for 5-6 washings of the clothes. This is what I use for my clothes during hunting season and I get no ticks or chiggers. We have a cabin at Table Rock and there is a tick problem . Sawyers will let you be worry free.

It is in the sporting goods area in a yellow spray bottle. Non aerosol.

Old_Crow said:

Agree. We live 30 miles from Branson, just outside Springfield and do a lot of local camping trips.  Branson has not only Table Rock State Park but a very nice Corps of Engineers campground at Indian Point on Table Rock Lake.  There is a lot more to do in Branson for all ages than just zip lines.  The Branson area is your best bet.

Bill

Thanks Bill.  We like going to Branson too but my son-in-law is not a fan.  They made reservations for us at Roaring River.  I hope our fresh water tank holds water, we've never used it and they don't have anything except electric hookups.

Back
Top Bottom