old rv with manual pump water system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middleton_m

Hello All you wise and knowledge users,

My wife and I are brand new to the camping/rv world, and just picked up an old beater of a camper just to test out how we like it. 

Almost everything works fine, except the for the toilet and sink. Its a manual system, just a tank and 2 lines going out.  The system has not been used in many years according to the old owner(camper is 40yrs young) . I filled the tank, did not find any leaks.  I then pumped repeatedly on both the bathroom and sink pumps, but could not bring up any water at all.  now after doing some reading,  some people mention that if the pumps are not used for a few years, they can dry out and not work.

I would think that this could be the case...  But when i tried to drain the tank, it was very slow, almost a dribble.  so I wonder if being unused could of caused sediment to build up in the tank also?

Would I have to disconnect the lines just outside the tank and see if water flows?  splash myself a lot in the process?  drain the system and blow compressed air through it?  just replace the sink pump with new one and hope that clears it up?

What would any of you advise?

Thanks again for reading over my problem.

Mike

Listen to the song "Desert Pete" by the Kingston trio.
"I put a new sucker washer in 'er. you may find the leathers dry"
the chorus
You got to prime the pump you must have faith and believe.  It goes on from there

Lots of wisdom in songs

Sadly no easy way to prime that pump.. What I i Did

I got a small 12 volt pump some wire and a momentary contact switch. It was located "low" low enough it self primed from gravity out of the tank. it pumped up and into the faucet but being a SMALL pump was not very fast.. Then I could pump the handle and get a good flow .

Don't want to run 12 volt.. They make a foot pump. the key thing is to have the pump "Down low" and to have a pump that will let water pass through.  Those two things are important.

You also have a check valve somewhere in the line... Should be in the bottom of the pump. if this valve is leaking the pump will NOT self prime. 

Some old campers used a manually pressurized system, i.e. a sealed tank and an air pump to create pressure in the tank to push water out. Others were simple suction pumps, which can indeed "go dry".  Odds are you have the latter kind, but I wanted to mention the pressurized tank possibility.

Lack of water draining from the tank raises the question of whether there is any water in it or not.  Sediment blocking the drain  seems unlikely to me, but anything is possible I guess.

I'm afraid you are going to have to dig into it to figure out.

Welcome to the Forum!

I had a 70 model pop up with a similar setup, but no toilet. 
Pumps do go bad.  Just replace them.
Check the drain line for a mud dauber nest or other blockage.  It should run freely.

Here is one pump source.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Rocket-Pump-Chrome-p/86-8093.htm

Thank you Gary the Wizard and Grashley for your advice. 

The tank is full of water, I can see that part clearly.  I will check for the clogs this weekend. 

Thanks again

Mike

Grashley,

well the rocket pump was the savior to my dilemma.  The wife will speak to me again, now that she can wash dishes in the camper.

Thank you .

Now, one more question.  The toilet is also getting no suction, as I imagine it and the old sink pump are the same age and has died.  Could you recommend a toilet that works along the same method as the tap?  manual pump?

Thanks

Mike

I am very happy it worked!  Happy wife, happy life!

For the toilet, I am not familiar with that style.  Have you considered replacing it with a portable (self contained) unit?

https://www.thetford.com/products/toilets/portable/

https://www.amazon.com/rv-manual-water-pump/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arv%20manual%20water%20pump

Back
Top Bottom