Made a canoe carrier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc L

When going camping, it is very rare that we get a water front campsite, so we always end up either drive to the water or portage.  Don't really like either. 

I was going to buy a canoe carrier, but I find them overpriced.  Old Town Canoe for example sell one for 140$ and it's only 2 wheels and a small aluminum frame.  Then I looked at our jogger stroller (3 wheel) and the light came on.  I figured to build one out of that. 

I cut the front fork off and removed the seat and all the fabric.  Then I took the foam surround from our old water bed which is a wooden inverted U covered with foam and vinly.  I cut it in half so it made it about 3 feet long.  I squeezed the water bed surround on top of the two bars from the stroller and put the canoe on top and voila!
picture here

To fold, I just remove the two pads and fold flat as usual, then remove the wheels.

I tried it this weekend.  I put the canoe on the carrier, strapped it and then loaded it with battery, trolling motor, life vest, paddles, fishing gear and beer cooler.  Then wheeled it to the river with just one hand.  If the load is balanced, you just need to haul it, not lift it.

BigEdW said:
Looks good. Another thing to store in the memory banks.

Yeah, especially since I have your canoe!  That's pretty cool.  Seems like there should be a way to add a third wheel to make it even better for those slightly unbalanced loads.

edjunior said:
Yeah, especially since I have your canoe!  That's pretty cool.  Seems like there should be a way to add a third wheel to make it even better for those slightly unbalanced loads.

LOL.  There was actually a third wheel on the stroller which I removed.

Back
Top Bottom