Emergency start relay in chassis battery compartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BS Murray

Hey all, my name is Bruce and I am new to this forum.

I have a 2009 31' Fleetwood Jamboree Class C
Lately I have been having problems with my Chassis battery draining for no apparent reason. Last year I installed a new radio and thought this might be the problem but my amps draw only goes from approx .98 to .76 approx after I unplug it. I am plugged into shore power when unit not in use and I understand that does not charge a chassis battery unless I have another component installed, so I'm good with that.

My main question surrounds the relay that is powered by the chassis battery and runs to the emergency start switch in the cab. When I try to operate it there is no clicking from it and when I turn the unit on to the run position just before starting, there is also no click sound and I am fairly certain there should be as this tends to show its operating properly. This lack of clicking could be indicative of a faulty relay, but does anyone know;

1) Could this be the cause of my chassis battery draining if its faulty and
2) Should there be an inline fuse somewhere I can check before I replace a relay.

We are seasoned RV'ers and I'm pretty handy with a lot of things, but this has me a little confused.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Confused in Canada

Bruce & Sharie

Thank you all in advance

Hi and Welcome!!

I am plugged into shore power when unit not in use and I understand that does not charge a chassis battery unless I have another component installed, so I'm good with that.

This is true of many motor homes but perhaps you should check this out as many (most?) Fleetwood built motor homes are equipped to charge the chassis battery when plugged in. If it should, it could well be the solution to your problem.

(I am not sure if my statement above applies to Fleetwood Class C motor homes or only their Class A versions but.... FWIW)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom