Newbie trying to find just the right Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep in mind the above is just my opinion, there are others that have a different view.  I have opted to try to maintain my coach, and keep everything reasonably functional and safe.  I even upgrade things to improve the operation, like adding TPMS and GPS as well as things like LED lights, and even a new residential size RV toilet.  There are other people that will buy an old leaking poorly maintained motorhome as long as its cheap, slap a couple of bandaid patches on it and hit the road.  Giving no thought to the fact they are driving on worn out dry rotted tire tires, that they smell propane when they walk up to the rv because the rubber diaphragm in the 20 year old propane regulator is leaking and the LP gas alarm was disconnected instead of being replaced when its end of life alert went off 10 years ago.  When things break that can't be fixed with a bandaid repair, they just live without that feature (air conditioner, generator, furnace, etc.)  from then until the RV breaks down for good, or has a wheel fall off,  often literally.  Then of course there are those in the middle, that do some reasonably minimal level of maintenance, but feel that spending money to upgrade an older coach is a waste.

My husband has vehicle maintenance in his blood -- he can't not change the oil, hoses, etc. "ahead of time."  I am the remodel type.  I have never looked at a used RV that I did not intend to remodel.  :)  Thanks.

If you intend to do major remodelling, keep in mind the weight of anything you add.  I had a friend that bought an older 1970's class B/B+ motorhome  (Trans-Star) about 20 years ago, he then gutted it and rebuilt the interior, when he was done he found all the weight he had added with new cabinetry, furniture etc. exceeded the GVWR of the chassis when it was empty.    So he had to rip it our and start over again.

Isaac-1 said:
If you intend to do major remodelling, keep in mind the weight of anything you add.  I had a friend that bought an older 1970's class B/B+ motorhome  (Trans-Star) about 20 years ago, he then gutted it and rebuilt the interior, when he was done he found all the weight he had added with new cabinetry, furniture etc. exceeded the GVWR of the chassis when it was empty.    So he had to rip it our and start over again.

Yikes.  I'll keep that in mind.  My plans were mainly to paint, remove carpet, remove recliner and dinette area, put down lightweight flooring.

SeilerBird said:
...... With a class C the first 8 feet are basically a waste .....

I see your point....
but (there's always one, right?)
back to my earlier point of class c's filling a niche for families... I don't look at it as a waste at all.  I look at it sorta like a split level home...
kitchen, living room, bathroom, and master bedroom on the main floor
kid's bedroom upstairs
cozy den downstairs

We use our cab more than I would have thought when parked.  The kids sometimes go up there to read, or play on their electronics.  I even go up there sometimes to read. when the sofa and dinette are occupied and I just want to get away a bit...

and the cab doors are a big plus, too...

For the OP's need though, and probably a majority of RV'ers I think SeilerBird's point is very valid.

Once you step inside a few Class C's and look around, then step inside a few Class A's and look around... you'll quickly realize the bigger "feel" of most Class A's. They have more headroom, often have bigger windows, and just seem like more of a "home" to me. That said, many newer Class C's also offer the features I just mentioned, so a lot of your decision will come down to floorplan, floorplan, floorplan! What works for any of us may not work for you, just depends on your individual wants/needs/desires.

I'll second many of the comments already posted... Class A's are no more expensive than Class C's, in general. And the only thing you'll find at dealerships are high prices (in my opinion). Buying a gently used, well-maintained RV from a private party seller (Ebay, Craigslist are a great sources) is the best way to go. I've done it twice now, and sold the first one the same way (Craigslist, to a private party buyer) and it all worked out great! It does take a lot of time and research, to learn what you're looking at and what is a "good buy" ... this forum is a great place for that. :)  (Check out our Library articles, link near the top of this page.) For perspective, I researched (mostly here) and shopped (mostly online) for a solid year before finding and buying our first Class A from a seller on Ebay. About 5.5 years later, I sold it on Craigslist in less than 2 weeks. After a few more years when we bought our current trailer, I researched for 6 months or so to find the right one, at the right price. Doing this right takes time.

Someone mentioned PPLmotorhomes.com which is another highly rated consignment place in Texas. Even if you don't buy there, check out their website and constantly-rotating inventory. You can get some good ideas of what certain makes/model/styles should cost. Keep on reading and asking lots of questions!

blw2 said:
back to my earlier point of class c's filling a niche for families... I don't look at it as a waste at all.  I look at it sorta like a split level home...
Brad - What I mean when I say the first 8 feet is a waste is measured from the front bumper to the drivers seat. The engine compartment is wasted space. RVs are measured bumper to bumper. There is a bit of an upstairs on some of the Cs but not much space in most of them. I have lived full time in both a 32 foot C and a 32 foot A and the amount of room differential is substantial.

For the record (and I think my class C is pretty typical):

It is 3 ft. from the front bumper to the front of my overhead bunk.  I consider the overhead bunk usable space, well, because it is.

It is 5 ft. from the front bumper to the front of my seat.

Now I don't have a class A to measure right now (I just measured my class C and had someone confirm my measurements) but I can tell you it is not 0 ft. from the front bumper to the front of the seat.  That would make an uncomfortable drive now, wouldn't it?  ;D

If I were to take a stab in the dark, based on my class A which I used to own, it's at least 3 ft. from the front bumper to the front of the seat.

Doing simple math, that leaves a class A with 2 more ft of room up front, not 8 ft.

My measurement tolerances are within an inch or two.

Class A RV's have a little more usable space up front, and that's if your class A has a drop down bunk so you are comparing apples to apples.  There are other advantages over a class C as have been discussed here.  There are a small minority of folks who like class C's better for some other reasons (for me it's doors and the number of people I can sleep).

I'll add my 2 pesos: we have a 1991 Tioga class C we bought at the end of 1997 (6 years old then), it had 27k miles, one owner, retired military.
Our cost was nearly 30k after purchasing a 4 year extended warranty (3rd party)  - this RV was on consignment. The RV had retailed for about 50k new back then.
21 years later, we still have it. My point is, you may find an RV you like and have it a LONG time!
couple suggestions - condition is more important than age. Ours was well maintained, and we're lucky to have found a local RV mechanic who does great, reasonable work.
That's my next suggestion - find a local RV mechanic, meet with him, get referrals - you will need a reliable mechanic owning a used RV.
When you find an RV you like-  pay him to give it an inspection, with you there to learn about what he may find - right or wrong with the RV.
Floorplan - you will spend lots more time with this parked, than you do driving it. Be sure you have comfortable areas to sit inside and relax, you won't always be outside.
Trust your instincts - if it doesn't seem right, or you have too many doubts - walk away and reconsider the purchase. I'm still searching for our next RV (common habit for RV owners), but 21 years later - we still love our 27' class c now with 91k miles. These are not investments - but will provide years of enjoyment and help create memories.
Enjoy the search :)

Thanks, joester.  We have taken a step back and are in a wait and see mode. 

Spring Creek said:

It is 3 ft. from the front bumper to the front of my overhead bunk.  I consider the overhead bunk usable space, well, because it is.

Now I don't have a class A to measure right now (I just measured my class C and had someone confirm my measurements) but I can tell you it is not 0 ft. from the front bumper to the front of the seat.  That would make an uncomfortable drive now, wouldn't it?  ;D

If I were to take a stab in the dark, based on my class A which I used to own, it's at least 3 ft. from the front bumper to the front of the seat.

Doing simple math, that leaves a class A with 2 more ft of room up front, not 8 ft.

Class A RV's have a little more usable space up front, and that's if your class A has a drop down bunk so you are comparing apples to apples.  There are other advantages over a class C as have been discussed here.  There are a small minority of folks who like class C's better for some other reasons (for me it's doors and the number of people I can sleep).

I did the same measurements and found the "wasted space" between the front of a Class A and Class C to be almost identical. It's used differently, but it it's about the same.

And for the last couple of years, some C's have been available with swiveling front seats.

Want you guys opinion... 1998 Coachman Santara M-292 asking $14,750- 10 cylinders gas 40,300  ford V10 1999 body 29' 1 slide  4 k generator , new tires, back up camera , 3rd owner. clean well cared - per seller. didn't go to see it as it is 3:30 h away from me. Seller said has it for about 4 years bought from a lady that bought from a old couple. It is ok that the seller has already a notarized tittle on hand ?  I know I should get it inspection ..but how it work  he give me the title and I give him the money ..just like selling a car, right ?

SeilerBird- thanks for attaching the NADA info. When looking NADA  value do I taken in consideration what other future the RV have like new tire, back up camera etc etc ..How do you guys do?

Spring Creek said:

I think about it that way too....  have ever since the first time I saw the "unusable space" argument.  As I think I said earlier... and in one way, that handful of linear footage is x2 in the C, with the "upstairs" and "downstairs" consideration....

But I do understand SeilerBird's point, for a couple reasons
Once is kinda the perception.  The feeling of "open room" or "living space".  The floor space feels more like part of the room.  The big window lets in light, etc...
The other is because the cab seats in an A are much more likely to be usable as "proper" living room chairs.  I acknowledge that my use of the driver seats as a "reading room" or whatever is a bit of a stretch in the perspective of looking at it like a house....and really even I don't really consider the driver's seat all that usable when parked.

Regardless... I really do think that the manufacturers really could do a whole lot better engineering the class C models...fixing nearly all of the "negatives"

blw2 said:
I think about it that way too....  have ever since the first time I saw the "unusable space" argument.  As I think I said earlier... and in one way, that handful of linear footage is x2 in the C, with the "upstairs" and "downstairs" consideration....

I use the "downstairs" for my ham radio shack. Can I count the square footage twice?

Back
Top Bottom