Boat salesman doesn't want to sell ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Chris has been making noises for some time about buying a pontoon boat to toodle around the neighborhood. Whenever I've looked online (Craig's list, etc), there are either none locally or they get snapped up in a hurry. Tracker Marine has a small pontoon that would fit Chris' needs very well, but it would mean buying new.

Separately, my Tracker bass boat is getting a little long in the tooth, and I've salivated over their newer models/designs for several years. The nearest Tracker dealership is Bass Pro Shops (they're part of the same company). So, yesterday we made the trek to Bass Pro in Manteca, CA.

Unlike prior visits, they now have most of their boats outdoors in a secure compound, and the only way to get there is to stand in line at the boat sales counter, and wait for the salesman to unlock the exit door. A few pontoon boats were visible/boardable, but all their fishing boats were shrink wrapped "to keep out the bag men"  ??? Eventually, someone called a salesman for us.

Explaining to this guy that we'd potentially buy two boats didn't seem to motivate him. He showed us one pontoon, never did show us a fishing boat, and complained that his computer didn't show the same inventory as his printed version. We don't need a trailer, and the guy quoted $500 to deliver a pontoon boat 33 miles to our local launch ramp, claiming it was because they have to pay an employee; Heck, I'd deliver boats for $250/hour. His alternative was that we drive 90+ miles to their store in Rocklin, CA and hope the store would deliver a boat.

We eventually left the store, believing they (or at least this salesman) didn't want to sell a boat (or two). I'm sure glad we've not had this experience when shopping for RVs, cars, or other boats over the years. Back to Craig's list to find used boats.

If I were going to buy a boat it would most definitely be a CraigCat, the coolest boats I have ever seen. They have one on display at the Orlando airport. It left me breathless.

https://craigcat.com/

That Cat thing wouldn't fit either Chris' or my needs. We have a small go-fast jet boat, much more comfortable.

Attachments

• SeaDoo.jpg
    SeaDoo.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 38
  • BRP_docked.jpg
    BRP_docked.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 36
[quote author=darsben]They seem to be taking lessons from the Prophet[/quote]
I assume you meant the Profit, aka Markus Lemonis  ???

I had similar experiences at many RV dealers a couple years ago when we were shopping.  Why they don't let people shop is beyond me!

I decided to send a message to corporate, omitting many of the details. Let's see how they respond.

Tom-- The Craigcats are FFUUNN.  We're going on our 4th trip with Craigcat Tours this coming Sunday at Mt Dora.

https://www.catboattours.com/

wackymac said:
Tom-- The Craigcats are FFUUNN.  We're going on our 4th trip with Craigcat Tours this coming Sunday at Mt Dora.

https://www.catboattours.com/
Oh wow, thank you guys. I had no clue. I have put it in my bucket list folder (yes I really have one) and it is only $65 to ride. Today is turning out to be a great day.

Maybe the guy isn't working on commission and his check is the same if he sells anything or not. If you bought TWO boats, think of the paperwork!  Some salesmen are just lazy.  Bass Pro is pretty proactive, I think they would care about your visit.

[quote author=SargeW]Maybe the guy isn't working on commission and his check is the same if he sells anything or not.[/quote]
That's what Chris said as we were walking back to the car.

[quote author=SargeW]Bass Pro is pretty proactive, I think they would care about your visit.[/quote]
I sent a message via Tracker Marine's web site. Eventually received a reply offering to tell me the location of their other dealerships. The local ones typically have little or no inventory, but I'll check them out. The others are a long drive from here. Might be time to go back to looking for used.

Just read an article last week about Nissan in USA. Their sales people have a 100% turnover rate  every year. 

Awful lot of churn in sales and it looks like the boating industry is the same.

Tom said:
I decided to send a message to corporate, omitting many of the details. Let's see how they respond.

Good luck Tom. We live in a suburb of Springfield, Mo which is the home of Bass Pro and Tracker Boats.  Not sure how you will make out with the company as they are truly a huge outfit.  Their local reputation is that they make and sell top notch products but that there is very high employee turnover and dissatisfaction internally.  Johnny Morris who owns the company is a big supporter of auto racing and anything involving fishing and boats and he has extensive resort and golf course holdings near Branson, Mo.  Additionally he has practically provided all the funds for the new Wonders of Wildlife Museum in Springfield which is supposedly the nations #1 new attraction.

How any of this affects you is a mystery to me but I just could not resist talking up the area a little bit. The main Bass Pro store in Springfield is quite impressive and the Pyramid in Memphis - now owned and converted from  sports facility by Bass Pro is also.

Bill

[quote author=Bill N]We live in a suburb of Springfield, Mo which is the home of Bass Pro and Tracker Boats.[/quote]
We pass their factory in Lebanon, MO on our trips to the MidWest. Every time I see all those boats in the adjacent fields has me salivating.

The main Bass Pro store in Springfield is quite impressive...
I believe we've passed it a number of times on our way through Springfield. One of these days we need to stop and look around.

Back
Top Bottom