Questions for full timers currently living in Virginia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMSVA

We intend to home base in VA. Bedford County (not in city limits), on relatives property. We will likely travel only one month a year. We will be domiciling in S Dakota.
Questions  are... Any issues with being in state for long periods of time with SD plates? What health insurance are you using? What are the taxes on your rv if registered in VA?
Thanks!

A couple of things that MIGHT affect your situation:

Are you retired, or will you be trying to work in VA?

Will the RV mostly sit while you drive another vehicle on your daily errands?  If so, would that other vehicle have VA or SD plates?

Since VA has a state income tax, I'd discuss this with a tax attorney.  You wouldn't want VA to decide you were trying to commit tax evasion . . .

LMSG30 said:
We intend to home base in VA. Bedford County (not in city limits), on relatives property. We will likely travel only one month a year. We will be domiciling in S Dakota.

Actually, it sounds to me like you'll be living and domiciling in Virginia.

There are lots of people who live in a house who travel for a month a year, and I can't think of any basis that would support them "domiciling" in another state.

Check with the county. You may be liable for property tax annually or semi-annually.

In NH at one time, if they saw a out of state license plate I believe for 30 days or more (I could be wrong on the days) you would have to register the vehicle in NH.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Since VA has a state income tax, I'd discuss this with a tax attorney.  You wouldn't want VA to decide you were trying to commit tax evasion . . .

Most, if not all, counties in Virginia have an annual vehicle tax based on current value.  When we lived in Fairfax County in VA there were periodic checkpoints set up to catch people who drove vehicles without the county's annual sticker.  If you keep the RV parked on your own property when you aren't using it, you might be ablet to avoid getting caught, but every time it is on a public road you risk getting asked for how long the vehicle has been in the State and County.

In NH at one time, if they saw a out of state license plate I believe for 30 days or more (I could be wrong on the days) you would have to register the vehicle in NH.
I lived in Virginia for a lot of years and I believe it?s the same in Virginia.

LMSG30 said:
No, you'll be domiciling in VA.

LMSG30 said:
What health insurance are you using?
Sounds like you're not of Medicare age (65) yet, right?

If that's the case and you have to foot the bill for your own health insurance, then you could be paying a lot. Just a SWAG, but figure $1900/month for an ACA plan in Bedford County. I assumed you were both 63 and making too much for a subsidy. If you're younger & earn less, you could save $$$ getting a subsidy.

Thanks everyone for your replies... I am just learning about these things and in no way wish to evade taxation that i'm required to pay.
Lee

Back
Top Bottom