Need help finding coupler lock solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhughes75

The coupler on my toy hauler has a really fat lip, measures at 4 5/8" width.  I have not found any lock online that will accommodate that size.  Anyone know where I might look or alternative ideas?  The coupler lever just slides front-to-back, so putting a lock through that will do nothing.

If you slide it to the rear and install a padlock, I don't believe you'd be able to insert a ball. It would be no different then locking it when there is a ball in there.

Rene T said:
If you slide it to the rear and install a padlock, I don't believe you'd be able to insert a ball. It would be no different then locking it when there is a ball in there.

Already tried it, nothing prevents anyone from sliding it to the front.  Padlock holes are exposed in either position, the 'claw' that you would expect it to have to prevent movement is not present.  And besides, the hole is so small you can only fit a small cheap lock in there that can be cut in 5 seconds.  I know no lock is fully secure, but looking for one that will fit around the coupler.

Just keep a good list of what you have in the camper, and get good insurance.

Does your trailer have a power tongue?  Disconnect it, hide the wire.  Most criminals aren't that smart to figure that out in the 'rush' of the moment.  I have a battery disconnect, works with a micky mouse plastic key, but does disconnect the Battery (a good thing for storage) and literally makes someone ponder how to raise or lower that tongue.  I suppose an additional secret switch would be better.  What a Batman idea.  ;)

When our shop was hired to recover a repo'd trailer that had a tongue lock installed, we just wrapped the safety chains to shorten them, hooked them to our truck and drove away. Cable/chain wheel locks are much more effective...

I agree with Gordon, just put a ball inside the socket and lock the hitch with a padlock. You wouldn't have to cut the shank off and you may be able to get way with a 1 7/8" ball.

Back
Top Bottom