What motor home would you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workingtorv

I look at new motor homes on RV Trader frequently and it seems most have allot of the same features and floor plans in the same price scale.  We may be looking to upgrade in the next few years.

So I?m curious to know if you were looking for a new or nearly new motor home with a max of 200K,  what would you buy?  If you have a reason why, even better.

My only wish is a long sofa as I am very tall and like to lounge on sofa while hubby is doing something else and our current sofa is the only thing I overlooked and have hated it since we bought new.

This is not meant to be debate of whether or not people should buy used vs new or gas versus diesel etc..

I am just plain curious to know what others would pick if they had the same budget and choice.

My choices are so far Tiffin Allegro 33Aa or 37PA, Georgetown 369DS. Which should fall into budget after paying exchange (or not).  There are a few others like Newmar Dutch Star and Monaco Dynasty, Tiffin Bus but those are definitely pipe dreams. 

Also if you own any of my choices tell me what you like or not about them.

TIA

I would buy a Beaver. The woodwork is incredible, the quality is top notch and it is about as good as it gets in the world of RVs. Never seen anything better under $1,000,000. Here is an example:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2005-monaco-beaver-santiam_rv-37743

I agree they were beautiful machines in their day.  I remember the first time we went to Lazydays we toured a Beaver Marquis if I remember correctly and OMG it was beautiful, I don?t know if any out there nowadays has such beautiful cabinets.

I really like the price of the example but I want new or nearly new.  I know you are not a fan of that choice but we all have our different desires and that?s ok.  Our current one is a 2004 in immaculate condition and very well cared for including much to my dismay hand washing and drying after very use.  My husband is anal!  I think it?s too old and want a new one.  I feel with buying this one new it served us well and we didn?t break the bank and we have certainly got our money?s worth for what it is.  Of course had we bought a cottage at the same time we would have had lots of increased equity but at least we know what to expect going in having been through it ?

But I asked what you would buy and appreciate you answering as you never know something based on what others say may just steer me in a different direction.  My husband would like to steer your way as long as it had a big engine and air ride but the Mrs wants new or newer.  You know the saying, gotta keep Momma happy!  He usually wins though because I am just very easy to convince (or very easy going ?)!!

My bucket list includes going to the fancy RV resort in Indio, California which you must have 10 yrs or newer to go there, I forget the name Desert Shores maybe, oh my that place looks awesome for a visit, I would never buy there as it is too far from Eastern Ontario never mind the price but for a visit yes!

Well you have not told us enough.
You have a budget max  but I do not know enough about you.
How long do you intend to keep RVing.
What is your lifestyle? Full time, weekend warrior, or from point a to point be and sit for the winter.
This will help determine your choice as well as the longer couch

We are summer weekend warriors every weekend from May to October  currently but in the next 2 or 3 years we would head South in Winter.  I would think we would keep it for 10 yrs at least.

$200k? $1,000,000? Wow! I wouldn't even know where to start! I think I would get a 2015 Thor ACE 30.2 and invest the rest so I could travel from then on lol, is that an option?

workingtorv said:
I agree they were beautiful machines in their day.  I remember the first time we went to Lazydays we toured a Beaver Marquis if I remember correctly and OMG it was beautiful, I don?t know if any out there nowadays has such beautiful cabinets.

I really like the price of the example but I want new or nearly new.  I know you are not a fan of that choice but we all have our different desires and that?s ok.  Our current one is a 2004 in immaculate condition and very well cared for including much to my dismay hand washing and drying after very use.  My husband is anal!  I think it?s too old and want a new one.  I feel with buying this one new it served us well and we didn?t break the bank and we have certainly got our money?s worth for what it is.  Of course had we bought a cottage at the same time we would have had lots of increased equity but at least we know what to expect going in having been through it ?

But I asked what you would buy and appreciate you answering as you never know something based on what others say may just steer me in a different direction.  My husband would like to steer your way as long as it had a big engine and air ride but the Mrs wants new or newer.  You know the saying, gotta keep Momma happy!  He usually wins though because I am just very easy to convince (or very easy going ?)!!

My bucket list includes going to the fancy RV resort in Indio, California which you must have 10 yrs or newer to go there, I forget the name Desert Shores maybe, oh my that place looks awesome for a visit, I would never buy there as it is too far from Eastern Ontario never mind the price but for a visit yes!
The Beaver I linked to was an example only, not a suggestion you buy that particular one. It was merely the first Beaver I found online. I only tell beginners not to buy new. If you have bought an RV and have some RVing experience then a new one is a much better idea because you should know exactly what you want and you won't be taking a huge financial loss when trading it in after a year. A experienced RVer will know precisely what they want. and will shop till they find it. A beginner will have no clue what he really wants and will almost always buy one that is way too small.

RVMommaTo6 said:
$200k? $1,000,000? Wow! I wouldn't even know where to start! I think I would get a 2015 Thor ACE 30.2 and invest the rest so I could travel from then on lol, is that an option?

The $1M was an example of what Tom was stating that it would take that to get a equivalent to a Beaver in today?s quality and dollars.  I couldn?t afford the Beaver than nor could I now.

The 200K is Canadian which is nowhere close to 220K American. 

SeilerBird said:
The Beaver I linked to was an example only, not a suggestion you buy that particular one. It was merely the first Beaver I found online. I only tell beginners not to buy new. If you have bought an RV and have some RVing experience then a new one is a much better idea because you should know exactly what you want and you won't be taking a huge financial loss when trading it in after a year. A experienced RVer will know precisely what they want. and will shop till they find it. A beginner will have no clue what he really wants and will almost always buy one that is way too small.

Yes I knew what you meant by the example being 1M today  but thought you were also suggesting the one you posted as a good buy for me.  Sorry..

Yes about you suggesting used versus new I remembered after posting is that you refer that to newbies.  Yes I agree, we bought a used Class C first kept it for 3 yrs and bought new and have had that one since 2003, did we get everything we wanted, no but we got what we could afford and we were fully intending on trading after 5 years but we knew what we had, it was good and we weren?t spending more money than we were comfortable spending.  We started RVing because we are NASCAR fans and got tired of spending a fortune in hotels and travelling to and from tracks in traffic so we bought.  Once we bought new I said we are going to become campers because I didn?t want 110k sitting in the shed and not using it.  We now camp more than go to races?.

I did not realize until just now that Beaver went out of business in 2010. I haven't been shopping for a motorized RV in many years so I have not kept up. If you are looking at $200k max then pretty much all your choices are going to be six of one and a half a dozen of another. There is not a lot of difference at a specific price point. No one brand will be much better than any other brand. You would just choose on floor plan and features.

SeilerBird said:
I did not realize until just now that Beaver went out of business in 2010. I haven't been shopping for a motorized RV in many years so I have not kept up. If you are looking at $200k max then pretty much all your choices are going to be six of one and a half a dozen of another. There is not a lot of difference at a specific price point. No one brand will be much better than any other brand. You would just choose on floor plan and features.

I think they are back, nowhere near the way they were though, they look like the Fleetwood, Monaco of today, all under REV I believe.

I think that you should be looking  diesel as you will be keeping it for enough years to amortize the difference  I am gasser fan but in this case the "better buy" would be a diesel.  If you had said 6 -7 or less years then I would have swung to a gasser
I am trying to stay out of the gasser vs diesel debate but the economics make me point it out.
So I would go with the Allegro 37PA

I would love to own a top of the line Winnebago Tour. If I remember correctly they have the tag axle and a nice diesel engine. Plus the looks are fantastic. Also been going strong versus some makers having to regroup with lost/retired craftsman. I have been mildly interested in going to my first live Nascar race in our rig but don't know what to expect. Is there a thread on Nascar here?? Thanks all!

darsben said:
I think that you should be looking  diesel as you will be keeping it for enough years to amortize the difference  I am gasser fan but in this case the "better buy" would be a diesel.  If you had said 6 -7 or less years then I would have swung to a gasser
I am trying to stay out of the gasser vs diesel debate but the economics make me point it out.
So I would go with the Allegro 37PA

I really like that one but the prices are crazy and there aren?t much up here in Canada and even worse they inflate prices even more as they play with the exchange rates.  I base it on mhsrv discounts and work from there but I don?t think they sell Tiffin.  There was a 33AA up here and they were asking 335k sorry but I don?t think it?s worth that or even that less say 32%.  Is that too high for a percentage?

I wanted something that had a light interior feel with lots of windows, light upholstery, and light woodwork. Living area had to have recliners that looked directly at the TV with no twisting. A big enough sofa to lay down on. Lots of kitchen storage because I like to cook. Big enough bathroom. We ended up with a Tiffin 37PA. We both walked in one and said ?This is it.?  It has a bunch of other nice features, but the ones listed were our ?gotta haves.? Your list will vary. And a 2018 or 2019 version will be well in your price range in a few years even with the exchange rate. You should also see a Phaeton 40PA. Virtually the same thing up front with a bit extra space. 

john owens said:
I would love to own a top of the line Winnebago Tour. If I remember correctly they have the tag axle and a nice diesel engine. Plus the looks are fantastic. Also been going strong versus some makers having to regroup with lost/retired craftsman. I have been mildly interested in going to my first live Nascar race in our rig but don't know what to expect. Is there a thread on Nascar here?? Thanks all!

I do like the Tour also but out of my price range.  I like many many in this price range but don?t plan on selling the house to purchase.

I don?t think there is a thread but where would you be travelling from?  We have been to many and my preference is camping where they have hookups or family zones as unless you are 20-30 and there for a party the back forty at some tracks could be very interesting and for me scary!  Which one would you like to go to?  For a first timer Charlotte is awesome, they have camping with hookup which is pricier so you weed out the partyers and most of the shops are open to visits and tours which sometimes we have met drivers.  NASCAR is hurting big time now they do not have near the fan base they use to and there are many empty seats and they offer tickets two for one most of the time.  It is far more affordable now but they just can?t attract the crowds anymore.  Young ones haven?t gotten into it and the originals are too old now.  Baby boomers aren?t filling the seats.  Let me know which track and I will try to guide you.  It is a good time and can be very exciting.  My favourite part about being there vs watching it on TV is when the jets fly over during the anthem it is a great feeling, one time at Charlotte a big bomber did the flyover over and it shadowed the track, that was so surreal.  Just amazing, to boot after the race our camping neighbours hosted a gathering and we got to meet the pilot of said bomber - so neat.  Last year we went to Texas and attended Richard Pettys 80th birthday, another cool experience.  Do it!

UTTransplant said:
I wanted something that had a light interior feel with lots of windows, light upholstery, and light woodwork. Living area had to have recliners that looked directly at the TV with no twisting. A big enough sofa to lay down on. Lots of kitchen storage because I like to cook. Big enough bathroom. We ended up with a Tiffin 37PA. We both walked in one and said ?This is it.?  It has a bunch of other nice features, but the ones listed were our ?gotta haves.? Your list will vary. And a 2018 or 2019 version will be well in your price range in a few years even with the exchange rate. You should also see a Phaeton 40PA. Virtually the same thing up front with a bit extra space.

Thanks, I was hoping you would respond, I didn?t want to come across nosey so didn?t ask, I also didn?t want to hijack another thread.  So you like your 37PA? I do think it fits the bill.  It may be sooner if I get the right price, I would prefer new. Thanks. 

There are many quality used coaches in your price range. Look at this one and tell me what you think.
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/newell_coach/2003--newell--45--P1278
Can you guess what the replacement price would be? Yet it is in your price range now.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
There are many quality used coaches in your price range. Look at this one and tell me what you think.
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/newell_coach/2003--newell--45--P1278
Can you guess what the replacement price would be? Yet it is in your price range now.
Bill

I think my husband would like this one. Me not so much. It?s a woman thing vs a Man thang..  I think this new would be close to 2M?

If I had 1 M to spend there are beautiful Foretravels at MHSRV - Wow, have a look, pretty nice inside and build and engine for the men.  Sadly I have not won the lottery yet.  Can you imagine the tariff I would have to pay ?

Back
Top Bottom