What motor home would you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
workingtorv said:
Thanks, I was hoping you would respond, I didn?t want to come across nosey so didn?t ask, I also didn?t want to hijack another thread.  So you like your 37PA? I do think it fits the bill.  It may be sooner if I get the right price, I would prefer new. Thanks.
So far I really like it. We have been in it for 36 nights and 3500 miles. Right now it is undergoing the big updates Kevin always does - 900 watts solar (we ordered it with 6 batteries), EMS, battery monitor, cell booster, and probably something else I have forgotten. As an old electrical engineer, he just loves to tinker. Just remember in your pricing to add the cost of setting up the toad and save some for extras that are important to you. Also the 2019s are being built now, and I am sure the price went up some. They made the interior slightly more ornate and added a long narrow window in the kitchen from what I see in the pictures. We  are heading out in late September for just under 3 months, andI can?t wait. The interior is very livable for us.

Send me an email or PM about the least expensive way to order a Tiffin.

I would buy an older but higher end model, e.g. that Dynasty or Dutch Star you mentioned.  Go back in years until your $200k budget fits - it won't actually be all that old.  RV's depreciate so rapidly that $200k will get you a top-line coach that is maybe 5 years old. or a mid-line coach only 2-3 years old.  The difference is not just amenities - the higher priced models are more capable in many way. Better chassis with more weight carrying capacity, substantially better cabinetry throughout, higher grade upholstery & flooring, and better materials & workmanship under the covers.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I would buy an older but higher end model, e.g. that Dynasty or Dutch Star you mentioned.  Go back in years until your $200k budget fits - it won't actually be all that old.  RV's depreciate so rapidly that $200k will get you a top-line coach that is maybe 5 years old. or a mid-line coach only 2-3 years old.  The difference is not just amenities - the higher priced models are more capable in many way. Better chassis with more weight carrying capacity, substantially better cabinetry throughout, higher grade upholstery & flooring, and better materials & workmanship under the covers.

Gary,  thanks!  what do you think a 2015 Monaco Dynasty 45p should be?  There is a few beauties out there but I am sure the prices are way inflated.

Something like $375k-$400k. To get a 45 foot Dynasty into your price range, you have to get 4+ years older.  A 2013-2014 40 ft Diplomat, though, would probably come in on target.

workingtorv said:
I think my husband would like this one. Me not so much. It?s a woman thing vs a Man thang..  I think this new would be close to 2M?

If I had 1 M to spend there are beautiful Foretravels at MHSRV - Wow, have a look, pretty nice inside and build and engine for the men.  Sadly I have not won the lottery yet.  Can you imagine the tariff I would have to pay ?

I am trying to figure out what part of the interior of the one in the link I posted was so bad and unlivable? Nice Newell for only $174,500.
Or  this Fortravel for $159,500
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/foretravel/2005--u320--40--C2087
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
I am trying to figure out what part of the interior of the one in the link I posted was so bad and unlivable? Nice Newell for only $174,500.
Or  this Fortravel for $159,500
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/foretravel/2005--u320--40--C2087
Bill
My goodness, that Foretravel is beyond sensational. One of the best looking motorhomes I have ever seen.

Bill, nothing wrong with either the Newell or Foreteavel but the next one will likely be it and they are older than what I want to go.

But I?m still listening and printing them out for my husband to look at.
Thanks

workingtorv said:
Bill, nothing wrong with either the Newell or Foreteavel but the next one will likely be it and they are older than what I want to go.

But I?m still listening and printing them out for my husband to look at.
Thanks
Either the Newell or the Foretravel would be light years better than anything newer in your price range. Forget about the age, RVs do not deteriorate like a car does. People who own high end RVs take care of them much b better than the average RV owner.

Many to choose from if you go a few years old.  The Tour's are no longer being made, might find a good deal on one.  Can't go wrong with Newell or Foretravel.  A well built coach with a diesel will go for many years to come.  I'd go for floor plan, quality of build and appearance.  We have one of the last Dynasty's built by Monaco, which is now owned by REV Group.  Although a 2009, many think it's brand new, we have at least 400,000 miles left on the Cummins diesel.  All the cabinetry is solid cherry wood.  It has a bath and a half, washer and dryer, dishwasher, 3 A/C's, Aqua hot 600D and full size residential frig with cherry wood doors.  This coach, taken care of, will last us for many years to come.  We paid well under 200k for it.  Many very nice quality built coaches out there for your budget if you can live with a RV several years old.

We got a lot of advice to go older top end, but throughout my life I always felt like that was trying to buy something I couldn't afford anyway.  Kind of like getting the 10 year old BMW 765 because a new BMW 325 is all I can afford :)  We tried to stay reasonably recent and modern with a budget similar to yours 3 years ago.  We wanted a Tour/Ellipse, but just couldn't get there so we got the next level down (Journey/Meridian) for way under the budget.  It's missing a few things the Tour has, but it's on the same chassis and is actually longer than the Tour that year.  We have really enjoyed it and other than tires next year, it hasn't been much trouble.

The high end Winnebago is the Grand Tour or sister Itasca Ellipse Utra, and my opinion Newmar and Entegra go up from there with some really high end coaches.  Tiffen may be more in line with Winnebago.  No quality debate, just based on level of features and build, I think any of those four manufacturers will get you a nice coach.  My wife really liked the Winnebago because of their history and what impressed me was the documentation they provide for the build.  I have a complete 70 page parts list, drawings, and even 3D virtual drawings of the coach design.

Prevost, Foretravel, Country Coach (now owned by Winnebago), and Newell for us was all pie in the sky stuff.  The older engines, dated technology and appliances, made us shy away even though they are tremendously well built.

Happy shopping - I envy your adventure :)  I like to shop!

I think its just a matter of taste. I like the foretravel better than the other one. The Newell is too froofy.. too shiny and not very warm or cozy feeling for my tastes. Theres a few things I dont like either. Like the shower being open to the bedroom. If one person is sleeping, the other taking a shower would not be an option. I dont know if that stand next to the drivers seat is moveable, but I dont think Id like it right there while driving.

Both the Newell and the ForeTravel are gorgeous I agree.  I would just be afraid to own them because of age, and I don't think it is that easy to get an extended warranty.  Check the digital dash on the Foretravel from 2005!  Impressive, but if that went out I'm sure it would cost more than the 8 tires I'm looking at needing!  The rich guys that owned those decided upkeep was too high for them and they traded in :)

Though not in the same class as that Foretravel we love our '07 American Coach Tradition. We've had it 1.5 years and the quality inside and out is light years ahead of what we're seeing today. Not glitzy by today's standards but I'd rather have the quality.

Interesting comment by SeilerBird: "People who own high end RVs take care of them much b better than the average RV owner." 

timjet said:
Though not in the same class as that Foretravel we love our '07 American Coach Tradition. We've had it 1.5 years and the quality inside and out is light years ahead of what we're seeing today. Not glitzy by today's standards but I'd rather have the quality.

Interesting comment by SeilerBird: "People who own high end RVs take care of them much b better than the average RV owner."

I really don't like most of the newer high end coaches.  I don't like the high gloss dark wood cabinets, I'm not a fan of the medallion ceilings or the LED "mood lighting".  We didn't want a coach that was unlivable without the slides deployed, didn't want a residential fridge or built in vacuum, and I especially didn't want a diesel.
We bought our Bounder because of the light oak finish, the neutral upholstery and valances, and other touches that make it feel more like a home than a suite at the Cosmo in Vegas.  It was actually a few feet longer than we were originally shopping for, but that hasn't turned out to be a big deal.  It also didn't hurt that it was actually the cleanest coach inside that we looked at.
As far as Tom's comment, it may depend on the part of the country you're looking in.  When we were shopping I saw at least 3 higher end coaches that were more trashed than a couple of entry level units we looked at. 

timjet said:
I say this because I have walked though literally hundreds of used RVs that were for sale. The high end RVs were almost always much better cared for.

Well I?m still looking but for the ones here in Canada the prices are ridiculously high however, the USDollar is so expensive for us right now. I am taking a breather for now and if something right comes along then maybe.

I would also like opinions,  would a 340hp with 700lbs/ft torque be a better choice than a gas V10?  Keeping in mind pricing is close to a gasser for a 340 diesel (not the same but not 100k difference either where I am finding the 380 is.

Thanks to all who have and will give their opinion.

We are in no rush at all!  Well if I win the lottery I?m sure I?d be running?

would a 340hp with 700lbs/ft torque be a better choice than a gas V10?
That's like asking would an apple be better than an orange. For what? A coach with that 340 HP diesel is likely to be quite a bit heavier than the one with the V-10, and the same vintage and condition 340 HP diesel coach is also likely to be more expensive than the V-10 coach. It probably (not guaranteed) will also have more amenities. It likely would get a little better fuel mileage, but maintenance expenses may be a bit higher.

So perhaps you could elaborate on "better for what?" Are you doing an occasional weekend trip in state, or are you traveling 3+ months from coast to coast and through the mountains? Such answers could help provide a better focused reply for you.

By coincidence we traded a Georgie Boy Pursuit (32') for our current mh. Not an economical switch, but one we are very pleased with; as we were with the Pursuit. HP is fine with and, of course, the MH is a great step up!

Ernie

Here goes my thoughts, I too lean towards older quality coach, Country Coach, Beaver, Foretravel, etc.  Out of them I would probably pick Foretravel for one reason, I live 125 miles away from where they are built in east Texas, vs Country Coach and Beaver which were both built in Oregon, and though they are both now gone, it seems the independent shops that are best at maintaining them are still near where the factories were located.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom