Should anything be visible down toilet 'drain' after flushing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never let anyone put Kleenex in the toilet in the RV, or any septic system.  Takes them a very very long time to break down.  You can test this at home.  Put one I a clear glass of water and time how long it takes to break down.  Do the same with your favorite brand of TP.

Frank B said:
We never put toilet paper down the toilet. We have a small covered waste basket beside the toilet, and all toilet paper goes there. And, no, it does not smell. This does avoid any toilet paper clogging problems at the source.

I always shake my head when I read a response like that.. I mean I've been putting paper down the toilet for THIRTREEN YEARS on my current RV and total problems to date = ZERO.

And if the rig lasts another 13 years.. I still do not expect any problems.

John From Detroit said:
I always shake my head when I read a response like that.. I mean I've been putting paper down the toilet for THIRTREEN YEARS on my current RV and total problems to date = ZERO.

Not everyone has the exact same holding tank you do. Not everyone uses the same amount of toilet paper you do and everyone's poop is not identical. When I bought this fiver there was a problem with the drain valve on the black tank. I had to pay to have the tank flushed. The valve was not opening all the way. I stopped putting toilet paper in the tank the second time I had to have my tank flushed. I have since then replaced the toilet with a residential toilet and plumbed it directly to the sewer bypassing the holding tank.

You might consider installing one of these, or something similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_8MSTqEAAk

kdbgoat said:
I'm happy that you guys have such a large black tank that you can run 5 to 10 gallons of water in it right off the bat. Ours is 26 gallons and I'm not wasting that much tank capacity. I run two toilet bowl fulls after I dump. We use Cottonelle Ultra Strong and we have never had a problem with the black tanks for 5 years now. I've yet to figure out why folks don't dispose of the toilet paper in the toilet. The black tank designed and made for it. If your RV doesn't have a black tank flush system, I would highly recommend one. They work well, and you don't have to stress on black tank problems.

The IMPORTANT thing is there is some water in the tank!!

OK everyone, thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions! I think we can close this thread now. The remnants have disappeared! I guess it probably just happens from time to time that a bit hangs up and especially if TP is over used. Have cautioned all users to flush more often. (Of course using RV safe TP.) I can now see the what looks like 90 deg turn of the drain/pipe below. Never had an issue with the tank itself, just what I originally described, being TP visible when the flap was open. I think too much TP was used and it took awhile for it to disintegrate as even more

I mean, I can't stop anyone from posting any final thoughts, LOL, but I'm a happy camper!

Thanks again! 

A funny story along this line.  While working MIA Tower, I flew my mother down for a visit.  She expressed a concern about going to the restroom while inflight.  I told her it was just the same as going in her house except if she looked down the toilet she could see the ground.  She probably did not use the restroom on the way home!

John From Detroit said:

To each his own. OP saw an issue with tp. There is no NEED to put it down the toilet as it only adds bulk and fiber to the mix.  Anything wrong with one possible solution that would avoid that particular problem at the source?  ;)

And, if we're looking for bragging rights, I have avoided TP down the toilet for 20 years! Still no problems! Anyone else want to make it 25? Do I hear 40? 60?  ;D

I'm jerking your chain, of course.  :eek:

We don't all see things the same way, or come up with the same solutions to every problem. In diversity and variety one may find a perfect solution for our particular needs.  :)

Frank.

Frank B said:
We don't all see things the same way, or come up with the same solutions to every problem. In diversity and variety one may find a perfect solution for our particular needs.  :)

Frank.

You have just summed up the beauty of this Forum as you can expect several perspectives and several options to most issues.

As far as toilet paper goes it isn't a septic tank. If you are leaving stuff in there for weeks you are doing it wrong. Use whatever you want just don't use wads of it at once. In a travel trailer it is usually a straight shot to to the tank so the bottom will only be 18-24" from the bottom of the toilet. They are not very deep just long. You do need enough water in it to fill the drain pipe so solids wont get into the drain pipe right off the bat. A couple of gallons will usually do but for those of us with large tanks 5 gallons is better.

Rene T said:
Waste of money. No need to use RV TP. We have been using Charmin Ultra for years and never had any issues.

Hey Rene,
Your reply to this post should be written in HUGE LETTERS !!!!! 
Seeing the ridiculous prices that are being charged for RV TP, is criminal.  --- why people, why???

Murphcrud said:
Hey Rene,
Your reply to this post should be written in HUGE LETTERS !!!!! 
Seeing the ridiculous prices that are being charged for RV TP, is criminal.  --- why people, why???

Using all capital letters give some people the feeling that you are screaming at them. No need for that.

Back
Top Bottom