Teflon bunk slides on my Slideout?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnclKracker

Recently we had a problem with a slideout on our Montana High Country.  The cable on one side had stretched and the slide was twisting. Binding the motor and tripping the thermal overload switch.  The  mobile RV mechanic that came to the campground told me I could add Teflon bunk slides for a boat trailer to the bottom of my slideouts.  That would take a lot of stress off the cables and motor.  He said there is a very thin sheet material made about the thickness of a credit card that would do the job.

The material on the bottom of the largest slide is deteriorating and the motor always sounds like it's about to stall. When I ran it out yesterday it was chattering as it went out. I had to stop and pause every few inches to stop the vibration as it jumped across the rollers. The rollers and slide are clean and lubricated.  The trailer is less than 2 years old.

I've searched industrial and marine sites online.  There's a large variety of materials but I have no clue as to what I should use.
Has anyone done this?  We are on the road now but when we get home I will contact some shops and find out if it's even possible.
Also, could someone explain why the small slideout for the bed rides on 3 rollers but the large slideout in the living area has only two?

Teflon is a tremendous product!  I once installed it on some chemical lab countertops that were always dirty and hard to clean.  With them in place, nothing could stick to it and the area remained clean!  For years!

I would look for a Teflon sheet about 5 - 10 mil thick.  Hopefully, it comes with an adhesive backing, so you could cut to the desired shape and length, and stick in place.

(In my previous life, I was an Analytical Chemist)

Yes, I would love to hear more on this topic. Our unit has a big electric slide for the dinette, and it screeches terribly everytime it goes in or out. No binding of the dual gear-driven mechanism, but the noise drives me nuts. I'd love to hear a suggestion on how to lubricate it with something that will not attract dirt.

Look for product called UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) is a type of poly ethylene plastic for the slide.

Back
Top Bottom