a question on engine size.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvwanderer1

IM looking at a really nice 28 ft forester class c  .  It has the v8 instead of any of the v10's that are available.
The current owner really never leaves the state  and its really flat here,
How good would the v8 ford be when getting to hills? 
such as those found on the east coast?

V8 V/s V10
The V-10 is a Ford..  Now I have a Chevy V-8.. 8.1 L Vortec. it is billed as the most powerful Gas RV engine.. head to head with the ford. the difference is.. Not worth talking about.. With one exception.

Ford's generate  peak torque at HIGHER RPM so they wear out faster .

John, when is the last time you saw a wore out V-10 Ford? How many miles were on it? ;D

Ford's generate  peak torque at HIGHER RPM so they wear out faster .

Those V-10s are designed to operate at that higher RPM, and they're pretty tough machines. Noisier (at high RPM) yes, wear out faster? I suspect that's more dependent on the care they get than the RPM, given design differences.

If it has the Ford V8, I'm guessing it may be an E350 chassis instead of the E450? If so, the difference is more than the engines.  I would not want an E350 under a 28 foot coach body - it would be near maxxed out right from the factory.

As for engine power, the RV industry rule-of-thumb is to provide at least 1 hp per 100 lbs of gross vehicle weight. If the V8 engine in that rig can do that, it's OK. More hp per 100 lbs is better (snappier performance and hill climbing), but 1/100 is adequate.  The number of cylinders has nothing to do with the rated horsepower - 6 cylinder inline engines can easily produce the same horsepower as a V10. 

What year Forster are we talking about?  And which V8 engine?

Back
Top Bottom