Adventurer headlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Stephens

I just got my coach out of the shop and noticed it needs to have the headlights polished again. But then I noticed the rubber gasket that surrounds the headlight assembly has completely disintegrated and is falling apart on both headlights, meaning I really need to replace both assemblies.

I'm seeing some LED replacement headlight assemblies on Ebay that look nice, but am leery of buying anything that isn't OEM. Does anyone have experience with these lights and can give a recommendation? Or would it still be best to go back to the OEM product? Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

This is for a 2005 Adventurer 38J on a Workhorse chassis. I don't know if that will make a difference.

On the Jeep forum I frequent, LED headlight replacement is a semi-popular topic. Some of the replacements don't meet DOT specs and I think they are expensive. I think we have a couple of threads in the Winnie board about headlight replacements.

John, the reviews I have read on both the LED's and halogen aftermarket headlights are not good, seemingly having very poor product design with examples of reflectors not being placed properly inside the assembly or seals not being complete. At this point, after calling Lichtsinn and finding out new lights will cost me over $500 with shipping, I think I'm going to clean the lens and use some black caulk around the outside after I clean out all the rubber gasket that has gone bad. The lights still work, so they really don't need to be replaced.

John Stephens said:
John, the reviews I have read on both the LED's and halogen aftermarket headlights are not good, seemingly having very poor product design with examples of reflectors not being placed properly inside the assembly or seals not being complete. At this point, after calling Lichtsinn and finding out new lights will cost me over $500 with shipping, I think I'm going to clean the lens and use some black caulk around the outside after I clean out all the rubber gasket that has gone bad. The lights still work, so they really don't need to be replaced.

When the headlights on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J needed replacement, I did some research on the internet and was able to find out that my headlights were from a 1999 Ford Ranger pickup.  I was able to get a pair on amazon for about $50.00 and did the replacement myself.

Paul 1950 said:
When the headlights on my 2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J needed replacement, I did some research on the internet and was able to find out that my headlights were from a 1999 Ford Ranger pickup.  I was able to get a pair on amazon for about $50.00 and did the replacement myself.

There were a couple of guys on the iRV2 forum that said my workhorse chassis Adventurer will take an Impala headlight, but I'm a bit leery on trying that without knowing for sure that it will fit.

John Stephens said:
There were a couple of guys on the iRV2 forum that said my workhorse chassis Adventurer will take an Impala headlight, but I'm a bit leery on trying that without knowing for sure that it will fit.

There should be a number on the headlight.  If you can find that number and do an internet search for that number, it might lead you to what vehicle the headlight is from.

PJ Stough said:
There should be a number on the headlight.  If you can find that number and do an internet search for that number, it might lead you to what vehicle the headlight is from.

Good idea. I have never thought these kind of parts from an RV could be interchangeable with those from a car or truck.

Many manufacturers use automobile/truck headlight and tail lights in their RV's. They figure "why reinvent the wheel when they can just buy them off the shelf". 

2005 Adventurer should have the same lights as my '04, '02 - '05 Chevy Impala. Different lights on the '06 Adventurer.

Winnebago didn't use factory GM headlights though. They used TYC cheap copies. Search and buy whatever you'd like, probably be as good as the TYC stuff when it was new. I searched and found some affordable GM take off lights a few years ago. Probably not possible now.

The gasket around them is just cosmetic, plenty of water is behind them from the grill and splash from the tires. Could just trim off the ugly stuff and live with a gap.

ennored said:
2005 Adventurer should have the same lights as my '04, '02 - '05 Chevy Impala. Different lights on the '06 Adventurer.

Winnebago didn't use factory GM headlights though. They used TYC cheap copies. Search and buy whatever you'd like, probably be as good as the TYC stuff when it was new. I searched and found some affordable GM take off lights a few years ago. Probably not possible now.

The gasket around them is just cosmetic, plenty of water is behind them from the grill and splash from the tires. Could just trim off the ugly stuff and live with a gap.

That's the best information I've been given. If that's the case, I'll polish the lenses and chip away the bad rubber and live with it. Thanks for the info.

John - As an example I replaced my 2003 Airstream headlights with an exact replacement 1988 Ford full size Bronco headlight for the same reason you are.  I was checking the coach over a couple of days ago and saw that 3 of the 4 screws had pulled through and broken a tail light lens.  I googled the part number and found exact replacements on eBay for $45 complete with housing and bulbs for a pair.  Those fit a 1993 Econoline.

I told my DW about it and she started singing that old Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time"

I have a 2003 Adventurer that has the same headlights as yours. I bought these from Amazon in 2016, and I have had great service from them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020KWCTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you choose to replace your lights, it's a good idea to keep the old bulbs as spares. Although I haven't had to replace any bulbs yet, I still have the old ones just in case.

Just got done putting my new ones in. I got them off e-bay for 189.00. They were not bad to install either.Less than a 1/2 hour.They look great also.I have a 2004 adventurer

I recently had my 02 Adventurer go through a state inspection and the left front headlight was out. The general auto repair shop that was doing the inspection took it out and looked at the number.  They had one in stock but told me if they didn't there was an OReilly's Auto next door and they would have it.  I guess it must have been a common headlight.

Bill

John Stephens said:
I just got my coach out of the shop and noticed it needs to have the headlights polished again. But then I noticed the rubber gasket that surrounds the headlight assembly has completely disintegrated and is falling apart on both headlights, meaning I really need to replace both assemblies.

My 2004 Adventurer 33V had foggy headlights, I was able to clean them up to where they are "okay," but not super-great. Then I saw the rubber surrounding the headlights is cracking real bad. There's pretty much no chance I'll drive this gigantic thing after dark but I want her looking sharp.

I saw some on Amazon (I avoid E-Bay) and tracked down the Seller: http://buyrvlights.com/product.html/ The comments were somewhat mixed, but not enough to scare me off.

I'll probably buy these in a few weeks unless somebody here says "Don't You Dare!"

As I mentioned, Winnebago used TYC copies of Impala Headlights. They are about $100 each on Amazon (or ebay). OEM Impala headlights are expensive, if they even exist anymore. No idea what the Buy RV Lights lights are. Might well be an even cheaper light, like he stuff you can find for under $100 a pair.

Just know what you are buying, before you buy.

I think I figured it out, these are just standard 4x6 sealed beams.  There are some nice replacements for these online though, LED's, all sorts of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom