getting 50 amp from portable generators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

is there a way to get 50 amp power from a portable generator or two?  We have the opportunity to camp host in a great location next summer. the site is 30 amp full hookup and  my concern is during the summer months I might need to run both 15k AC's to keep the camper cool. Before I agree to this I want to see if there is a way to get 50 amps from portable generators. 
thanks

Can you take down one of your inside A/C shrouds and see if you can find the 110 volt wires to the unit?  If you can is there an easy way to run a electric cord out side the RV from that location. Like out a slide etc.  Then you need only one less expensive generator or maybe you will be able to run a heavy duty cord to another pedestal.

You can get the required wattage from a generator or 2 with a parallel kit. But some (less expensive models) will be quite noisy.
What are the rules on running a generator where you will be?

there are only 2 sites with electric and they are for the hosts. the rules for generators are from 10 am to 8 pm so we will be able to cool down the camper and then run one at night.
not sure if the 110 was a 15 or 20 amp breaker because they lock the boxes to prevent the sites next to them from getting the power
I don't mind having  2 generators as we want to do some boondocking where they allow generators.

You can get portable generators that have 50A/240 available, but they tend to be larger & heavier models.  You need upwards of 4000 watts to start two a/c units and run a few other appliances as well (I would make it a 5000w minimum).

If you are asking if you can get 50A RV service out of one (or two) Honda EU2000's, the answer is no.  You can, however, get enough wattage at 120v to run two a/c. Barely. A pair of EU3000's ought to handle it fine, but you are getting 50A @ 120v rather than standard RV 50A/240v service.

Where are you going to be hosting?

I have a loaner generator that can easily handle both A/Cs if you are anywhere near AZ.

I will warn you however that it is not quiet, but it is free to use.

It should also fit in the back of your F-350 if you can get a buddy to help load it.  It does have wheels if you have a ramp.

Edit:  I just went out to the garage and measured it.  26" high, 22" deep, and 28" long.

Attachments

• r20180609_233119.jpg
    r20180609_233119.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 25
  • r20180609_233041.jpg
    r20180609_233041.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 8
50A X 120V=6000 watts. A portable this size is bulky and heavy, not very practical for most rv'ers. Two 3000 watt units could be paralled but again bulky and costly.

Wow! Bill thanks for the  offer, we will be in Maine and they want quiet generators.
Cost is always a factor, but I would like to know what my options would be in case we decide to do this. Maine is an expensive place to camp in the season so a month or two rent might cover the cost and we will be there for 4 months.

Might be a little out of the way to get it...LOL

The cost is all over the place.  The one I was offering was very inexpensive for a couple of reasons.  It is a Harbor Freight generator and it was on sale for such a low price at the parking lot sale that I just had to buy it with the thought that someone would need it.

These generators are not quiet but I have had good luck with them being reliable and starting easily.

Edit:  I forgot to mention the cost.  It was 1/3 price and including the wheel set and a battery it cost right at $300

could I run one of the AC units off one generator- I could "wire up" a plug and leave it plugged in, would I need a surge protector if it's an inverter generator?

thanks

A recent model a/c unit requires about 1300 watts to run, but each time the compressor cycles on it draws 2x or more for a few seconds before the load drops back to the 1300 watt normal run status.  Therefore you need somewhere around 2800 watts to reliably start & run a single a/c.  RV ac installations vary, and on some 2400 watts is enough while others stubbornly insist on 3000w. 

Something like this would probably work well without great expense, and you could easily sell it after the season.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B00BBDCE1S/

I'm just wondering if you've figured out how much your per-day cost in gasoline is going to be?  Will they be paying you enough for a hosting job to handle that, or does that not matter to you?

SMR said:
could I run one of the AC units off one generator- I could "wire up" a plug and leave it plugged in, would I need a surge protector if it's an inverter generator?

thanks

Most 15000 BTU A/Cs will run off a Honda EU3000i but you might wish to test.

You would not need a surge protector as the inverter is one and a very good one if it can not deliver proper power it will deliver NOTHING

And yes. you can do that.

Back to the 50 amps.. I find I only need 30+30 amps.. THat is 7200 watts.  YOu might be able to get by with a smaller dual voltage genny.  IN fact the ONAN generator that runs this house when off the grid is a 5500 Watt. I know honda makes Inverter models

Try this one on for size.. I do not know if they make a bigger one but I have SEEN one of these with my own eyes after a short ride on a Steam Powered Train.. (Story is long though. No it was more recently than that My daughter went on the trip with me as I recall she was just into or near her teens and she is now in her mid 30s)

Honda EU2000IS

We spent several summers on the Maine coast (Bar Harbor area) and most every afternoon from late July thru last August got hot. Cooled right off by 5 pm or so, nut we used a/c in the afternoons. That was on an unshaded site (right on the water); a shaded site is much differnt matter.

Gary- we are in Bar Harbor for the next few weeks. after all the heat this year I want to make sure I would have a way to keep the camper cool (DW) and also be able to use it when we boondock. I found this one- I could run it off propane the few times we would need it, then I would not have to carry gas. I know it will use more propane and if it got really hot I would use gas, this would be a good option for an overnight stay too.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3400-Watt-Portable-Inverter-Generator/dp/B01FAWMMEY

As it was suggested earlier, plug into the 30 Amp for one AC and the other AC can be connected by using an extension chord to the 20 Amp plug. You'll have to disconnect the other ( 20 Amp) one from the rest of the house current. Usually there is a 30Amp and a 20Amp plugin.

SMR said:
is there a way to get 50 amp power from a portable generator or two?  We have the opportunity to camp host in a great location next summer. the site is 30 amp full hookup and  my concern is during the summer months I might need to run both 15k AC's to keep the camper cool. Before I agree to this I want to see if there is a way to get 50 amps from portable generators. 
thanks

that's going to be a big portable..!

best I know of would be a Honda EU7000is with a 30 to 50 A "dogbone" cable.

if you have soft starts on the a/c's then it would work, be aware however that any 240 Volt appliances will not function.
and should not be used. you will also need to switch fridge and water heater to gas.

I'm assuming each air conditioner is on different legs of the 50 amp service, you'll have to look at where the circuit breakers are located in the breaker box to confirm this.

If they are, the simplest solution that doesn't require modifying the RV's electrical system would be to get an adapter that lets you plug your rig into two 30 amp pedestal sockets like this one.

Plug the side that powers most of the rig into the 30 amp shore power outlet, then plug the other side into a 3000 watt generator, or a combined pair of 2000 watt inverter generators.  You'll probably need a second adapter to mate the 30 amp plug to the generator's socket.  Start the generators when you want to run the second A/C.

You could try using a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter to plug the second 30 amp plug into the 15 amp outlet.  The problem is that 15 amps is marginal to run a 15000 BTU air conditioner.  Plus it won't work if the 15 amp outlet is GFCI protect3d, and most are.

He only needs a combined total of about 40-45 amps @ 120v to meet his power needs. That's about 5000 watts (many 50A motorhomes have 5500 watt gensets as standard equipment). 6500-7500 watts give more flexibility, but isn't strictly necessary.

Most 50A RVs are wired to place most of their load on Leg #1 and just a couple items on Leg #2, so 25-30A for L1 and 20A for L2 is usually workable. With a bit of care when turning things on, 20A each should be sufficient for the occasional hot day.

Back
Top Bottom