truck camper on 1/2 ton F150?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, well, when I think of CA, I always think of the Beatles' song TAXMAN:

"If you drive a car I'll tax the street
If you try to sit I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat
If you try to walk I'll tax your feet"

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Yeah, well, when I think of CA, I always think of the Beatles' song TAXMAN:

"If you drive a car I'll tax the street
If you try to sit I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat
If you try to walk I'll tax your feet"
And if you try to bonk I will tax your meat. :eek:

Hobie1 said:
excellent points. so many decisions to make. definitely 4x4 and supercab.  i understand F150 wheels are now 20". wow back-in-the-day 17" was standard.  i like the 6.5' bed. is that long or short?

So a 4x4 SuperCab with the 6.5 foot bed and the 3.5 Eco has a Maximum of 2700 lbs and that is with the Max Tow Package.  Get one with all the bells and whistles on it.....think Platinum or maybe even a Lariat, and you'll be down to maybe 2400 lbs of payload.....maybe.  That'a a long ways from the almost 3300 lbs you originally was thinking.  And those numbers are with the 18" wheels.  In fact, I didn't see anything in 3270 lb payload.  The closest I saw was a 3230, regular cab and 4x2....and again, that is with the Max Tow Package.

I think they said something there that they were assuming a "standard 150lb. person" - WHAT A CONCEPT! - in each available seat, and the figures they then published were how much capacity was left over for everything else.  So I could see how, somewhere else. they might have a figure based on a different assumption.

be serious,  if you order an option that weighs 30lbs more...I don't think being 30lbs over the listed GVW is gonna kill anyone.

sightseers said:
be serious,  if you order an option that weighs 30lbs more...I don't think being 30lbs over the listed GVW is gonna kill anyone.

What ??????  Who are you referring to with that comment?  Maybe learn to quote the comment, then reply to it so it makes more sense!

what I'm saying is, all those weight figures are approximate figures,  a common engineering fudge factor of 10-20% is normal.

if you are at your maxim GVW,  and you give your fat aunt a ride to the store, no one is likely to die.

and most everything listed on that yellow sticker max weight has to do with those tires at that tire pressure...if you put on a set of nice new set of over sized wheels and tires, (as many people do on their new trucks) ... the yellow sticker is void. 

Legally you can remove or paint over that ugly door sticker.

it's just like those labels on a mattress ...once you own it you can remove them.

sightseers said:
what I'm saying is, all those weight figures are approximate figures,  a common engineering fudge factor of 10-20% is normal.

if you are at your maxim GVW,  and you give your fat aunt a ride to the store, no one is likely to die.

and most everything listed on that yellow sticker max weight has to do with those tires at that tire pressure...as soon as you put on a set of nice new set of over sized wheels and tires,  everything changes on your max GWV.

OK....first things first.  The O.P. is talking about putting a truck camper on a F150....usually not a prudent thing to do.  He also stated that he thinks the truck is going to have a 3270 lb payload capacity because he looked at the wrong line/section in the payload section of the Ford payload capacities for their F150 trucks.  There is a big difference between almost 3300 lbs of payload and 2700 lbs....and like I stated, that is with the Max Towing package, And that number will be reduced even further if the truck is loaded up.....ala the top of the line trim.

Second point.  Beefier tires, Air bags, and stiffer spring do absolutely nothing to change the payload or GVWR of the truck.  The yellow sticker is the gospel. 

Thirdly, it is a very common mistake that people make when looking at published payload number and towing capacities.  They see a number that the manufacturer publishes and think.....oh, that truck has xxxx lbs of payload.  Those numbers represent the maximum possible payload and towing numbers, but the catch is this.  Those numbers are from a stripped down work truck basically with almost no options on them.  They represent a way that the manufacturer can "brag" about their available payload and towing capacity.....and it's possible to acheive those numbers IF, and only IF, you get the same equipped truck that they used for their  example.  Base model truck, highest rearend ratio they have available, no options....in other words, a truck that most of us do not want.  We all (well, a lot of us want) CrewCabs, 4x4, diesel, Platinum trim with a lot or all of the goodies on them.  That truck is NOT going to be anywhere near the published payload of the stripped down base truck.  Then, if the truck buyer doesn't know any better, can't figure out why they can post number that are so high for towing and payload, but the new gazillion dollar truck that they just bought has several hundred pound of payload, and they can't safely tow anywhere near the published truck's rating.

The yellow sticker is an advisory label and is not 'gospel' or used as and kind of DOT weight enforcement on a privately owned pickup truck.

I can go buy a new F150 pickup and remove that body (with the yellow sticker still on it) and install it on a surplus Army deuce and a half chassis..

any cop can write you a ticket for operating an overloaded or unsafe vehicle without ever even weighing the truck. If they ever did weigh a vehicle,  it's likely going to be judged by the tire load rating and not the yellow sticker.

Trucks can be modified to handle more weight...the tires are what they are rated at.

I have a friend with a truck that the quarter panel was replaced after an accident....It has no yellow sticker at all now.  :eek:

sightseers said:
The yellow sticker is an advisory label and is not 'gospel' or used as and kind of DOT weight enforcement on a privately owned pickup truck.

OMG, so are speed limits and stop signs.

Holy crap.

Stop giving advice.
It's dangerous.

You really have no idea what you're taking about.

We all realize that 50 pounds over the stated numbers isn't going to cause a catastrophe.  But it may cause some white knuckle moments being maxed out, which can lead to a catastrophe.

What we know is that all trailers weigh more than most realize. And most people pack far more crap into a trailer than most realize.  And since almost nobody actually weighs their rigs unless they incur problems, it's best to add a margin for error, and stay within 80-85% of your TV capability.  That's solid advice.

There are  a lot new people that need good information.  They can make their choices as they gain experience.  Hopefully good choices.  Sending them down the wrong road from the beginning is wrong.

the yellow sticker is not mandated by law to be on a privately owned vehicle . You can paint over it if you want, it's your truck.

The Yellow sticker is not the same as a VIN number,    it does not need to be on the vehicle after it's been sold.

The Yellow sticker a weight advisory label based on  "those tires at that air pressure".

On modified 'new' cars like when they put a wheelchair lift in a new mini van or a new stretch limousine,  they put larger wheels/tires and suspension on it as needed..  and then the conversion company puts a newly printed yellow sticker right over top of the old factory one.

I worked at Ultimate Conversions co. in Corona Ca for about a year in the late 80's.

sightseers said:
the yellow sticker is not mandated by law to be on a privately owned vehicle . You can paint over it if you want, it's your truck.

The Yellow sticker is not the same as a VIN number,    it does not need to be on the vehicle after it's been sold.

The Yellow sticker a weight advisory label based on  "those tires at that air pressure".

On modified 'new' cars like when they put a wheelchair lift in a new mini van or a new stretch limousine,  they put larger wheels/tires and suspension on it as needed..  and then the conversion company puts a newly printed yellow sticker right over top of the old factory one.

I worked at Ultimate Conversions co. in Corona Ca for about a year in the late 80's.

And that ^^^^ is the difference....they are certified vehicle modifiers and the cost to recertify a vehicles GVWR and Payload numbers is often more expensive than just buying something different that has the GVWR and Payload numbers that you need.

Aw.. but this place was owned by a big time drug dealer and he didn't exactly do everything on the up and up.

and the DMV inspections were a joke.

Real time real story. Years ago I had a nice 2003 ford f150. Wanted a nice camper to get out of town once and awhile. Dealer sold me a new 2006 f150. New body style etc. It is a 4 WD. I went shopping for campers and ended up at Lance dealership. They sold me a top of the line camper with most everything I could need. They put air bags on the rear for MUCH needed support. I used it a couple of times and it scared me to death to drive it on the freeway especially if there was any wind. Took it back and lost 4K on the deal. Best decision I ever made. Especially since the loan was in an exgirlfriends name. Still have the truck. Moral is people will sell you anything even if it costs you your life. Get a bigger truck if you really want a nice camper!! :-\

I sympathise with Hobie1.

Latest version of F150 has aluminium frame, shaving off a few hundreds pounds. A stripped down trim (5.0L, 2wd, simple cab, long bed) is indeed rated for 3270lb payload by Ford (second to last page of the brochure [1]). F250 payload starts close to that number (third from the last page at [3]) and goes up form there. I think the heavy duty did not receive the aluminium treatment (yet?), so that's why the gap is fairly narrow between them.

So temptation is strong! F150 has much better fuel economy (up to 24mpg) and acceleration (5.9 sec 0-60) than f250/350. They say that heavy duty is more of a tank, by comparison, not nearly as much fun to drive and not suitable as a daily driver. But then of course as others noted, you start getting into it, and adding 4wd, super crew cab, and payload drops to 2700lb.  ??? That's before bells and whistles ???

But let's see if the math can be made to work still? Looking at the other side - Lance 650 (the smallest one they have [2]) is 1900lb wet, plus 200lb for options (a/c, electric jacks), we're looking at 2100lb out of our 2700 budget, that leaves 600lb. Me and mine will be 200lb each including personal belongings and food, so we still have 200lb left for other gear and for, well, any surprises coming from both Ford and Lance.

For their part Lance actually lets you configure the camper and they show you the complete configured weight, so it should give you a pretty good idea of what you're getting before you're getting it. Ford is not as accommodating, alas, so surprises will come for sure...

You could also shave off some weight: removing rear seats and the tailgate might save what, 100-200lb? Give up 4wd and you get back another 200lb.

It's very close, but it might just work out.

[1] F150 Brochure https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018
[2] Lance campers https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/
[3] F250/350 brochure https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?bodystyle=Truck&make=Ford&model=SuperDuty&year=2018

sightseers said:

If if was all about tires then Ford would put forward a special set of tires just so that they can rate their truck at best-in-class 4000lb, and advertise the heck out of it. It's a simple thing to do and buys them a lot of bragging rights. If you really asked they would sell you those special tires for a special price. The fact that they didn't do it suggests there are other limiting factors, beyond tires.

I wish someone wrote up how to upgrade and re-certify an F150.
The alternative of buying F250 is not that straightforward - if fuel economy and ride quality prove insufferable by comparison to F150 then it will become necessary to buy an additional smaller commuter car (and parking for it).

Hobie1 said:
excellent points. so many decisions to make. definitely 4x4 and supercab.  i understand F150 wheels are now 20". wow back-in-the-day 17" was standard.  i like the 6.5' bed. is that long or short?

FYI
Ford calls the 6.5? box regular. 5.5? is short and 8? is long

DenNukem said:
I wish someone wrote up how to upgrade and re-certify an F150.
There is no need to re-certify anything.  (as a non commercial use vehicle)

That yellow door sticker can be removed or painted over.      (Once you change wheels and tires that sticker is void anyway.)

You ...as the owner can make any mods to the truck you want.    You can install a 1 ton dually rear axle....or two dually axles like these people did.

and here's a Ford pickup mounted on a deuce and a half chassis.

It's your truck...make it what you want.    it's not illegal.

Attachments

• DualTandemTruck.jpg
    DualTandemTruck.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 8
  • ford 2.5 ton.jpg
    ford 2.5 ton.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
sightseers said:
There is no need to re-certify anything.  (as a non commercial use vehicle)

That yellow door sticker can be removed or painted over.      (Once you change wheels and tires that sticker is void anyway.)

You ...as the owner can make any mods to the truck you want.    You can install a 1 ton dually rear axle....or two dually axles like these people did.

I could get the modifications done, but I wouldn't trust myself to understand the load limits of the modified truck. I would like to pay someone reputable to install (suspension upgrade, wheels, tires, new axle, etc) and then tell me "on my good name I swear you're good for 3500lb payload now". Better yet, I wish there was some sort of industry or government standard I could rely on in addition to the good name of installer.

Experience of john owens suggests one cannot simply trust RV dealers with that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom