truck camper on 1/2 ton F150?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SarniaTricia said:
I have a small used old TT and I LOVE it... I've been done sleeping on the ground for years (time-share spoiled me) we got a high quality blow-up mattress.... but really the TT is the way to go.... a small used one with basics (think bowler) is a good options and really much easier to deal with... although there is a bunch of new TOWING discussion that will happen...lol.. look around for rental places and give that a try! you will be surprised!

Nothing simpler then just hooking up to my TT and going... it is already packed!! just grab groceries on the way and pack it into the fridge or a cooler and away we go!

excuse my ignorance but isn't TT a country western song?  please spell it out...

SarniaTricia said:
I have a small used old TT and I LOVE it... I've been done sleeping on the ground for years (time-share spoiled me) we got a high quality blow-up mattress.... but really the TT is the way to go.... a small used one with basics (think bowler) is a good options and really much easier to deal with... although there is a bunch of new TOWING discussion that will happen...lol.. look around for rental places and give that a try! you will be surprised!

Nothing simpler then just hooking up to my TT and going... it is already packed!! just grab groceries on the way and pack it into the fridge or a cooler and away we go!

TT (lol) sounds better and better, as well as Class B. replacing a trailer tire or getting the right wheel bearings in small towns takes time for delivery but as other poster mentioned "have a set of wheel bearings and spare tires on hand" and should be good-to-go... just be prepared. Towing is pretty simple and i have experience towing light trailers under 5k lbs.

Hobie1 said:
TT (lol) sounds better and better, as well as Class B. replacing a trailer tire or getting the right wheel bearings in small towns takes time for delivery but as other poster mentioned "have a set of wheel bearings and spare tires on hand" and should be good-to-go... just be prepared. Towing is pretty simple and i have experience towing light trailers under 5k lbs.

Hobie1:
I've already had the pleasure of changing a blown tire on the side of the highway... and found two new tires at a tire shop on the first exit I came too... on a Sunday afternoon.... :) Finding tire parts isn't really hard, its paying for them...lol.... visit an RV showroom with your better-half, take notes on what you like and don't like, talk about it and rent a TT... I know having everything onboard, tossing in the cloths and packing a cooler is the perfect convenience for me!!

Hobie1 said:
wow! this is really complicated....i may just stay with tent camping, by myself, and resort vacations with my wife. i really don't want to buy a big truck just for an annual trip.  Thanks

If annual trip is all you care about don't buy anything - rent. A lot cheaper and no hassle with storing it year-around. Bonus - you can rent different types on different years: Truck campers (with a truck), class-C, you name it.

DenNukem said:
If annual trip is all you care about don't buy anything - rent. A lot cheaper and no hassle with storing it year-around. Bonus - you can rent different types on different years: Truck campers (with a truck), class-C, you name it.

Brilliant Suggestion!!

We had an 87 ford F150  with an 8 foot box...hauled a ten foot Pop up camper all over the west and canada with no problem. there was no bathroom, but room for a portapotty, which worked well.... no air, but the top two feet of canvas had a vinyl ziippered  cover, and when we unzipped the whole thing,,,it cooled very well...small fan... depends on where you are going to be camping i guess,,, hot weather? something to look at... ours was very light..  haven't looked at the new pop ups, maybe they are heavier now... and of course the pickups were heavy duty back then..

For consideration:

The F150 seems to cost the same as the F250.  With the F250 one can get both a crew cab AND an 8' bed.

Back
Top Bottom