What is happening to our society?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
garyb1st said:
Define FAIRLY.  And do so without regard to your own belief system, your likes and dislikes, your preferences, your political and religious views.  We all have them.  Newscasters do not live in a vacuum.  They're human and live in the real world.  Is it even possible for a newscaster to present something, anything 'FAIRLY'?  He would have to be a rather unique individual. 
:)) :)) Absolutely correct. And on top of that it is what they choose not to report too.  Drudge is the expert in that area.

Oldgator73 said:
I would posit that most folks would be okay with a newscaster offering their opinions if said opinions were in line with theirs.

Not at all. In fact, the opposite is true.

While camping in Rhode Island last year, we were watching a Boston TV station. During the evening news, a slide came up with WBZ EDITORIAL (remember those?), and someone came on with an opinion that was 180 degrees out of line with my personal beliefs.

I listened carefully to his view, and he made some great points to support his position. It didn't change my mind any, but I was really impressed that editorial content was clearly identified as such.

HappyWanderer said:
Not at all. In fact, the opposite is true.

While camping in Rhode Island last year, we were watching a Boston TV station. During the evening news, a slide came up with WBZ EDITORIAL (remember those?), and someone came on with an opinion that was 180 degrees out of line with my personal beliefs.

I listened carefully to his view, and he made some great points to support his position. It didn't change my mind any, but I was really impressed that editorial content was clearly identified as such.

I think editorials are a bit different than someone presenting the news offering their opinion on said news.

Oldgator73 said:
I think editorials are a bit different than someone presenting the news offering their opinion on said news.

That's exactly the problem! Newscasters think the same thing. Editorial content is editorial content, whether identified as such or not.

sightseers said:
Everyone is all upset about alleged foreign influence of our elections.... (as if we don't do that.. ;) )

Agreed... this is what I find almost laughable about the dust-up on foreign election meddling (no matter which side you choose to believe) as if it's the worst thing ever. The United States and its allies have done it as much as anyone over the years, supporting certain candidates, rebels, or coups when it served our interests and/or our perceived interest of another country's population.

scottydl said:
Agreed... this is what I find almost laughable about the dust-up on foreign election meddling (no matter which side you choose to believe) as if it's the worst thing ever. The United States and its allies have done it as much as anyone over the years, supporting certain candidates, rebels, or coups when it served our interests and/or our perceived interest of another country's population.

Don't disagree.  But I don't think the hullabaloo is about supporting one candidate over another.  It's the methodology. 

garyb1st said:
Don't disagree.  But I don't think the hullabaloo is about supporting one candidate over another.  It's the methodology.

It is very troubling when a non allied foreign power skews the outcome for a presidential election in favor of a candidate that foreign power has blackmailable information on (audio/video tapes, first person testimony).

Oldgator73 said:
I would posit that most folks would be okay with a newscaster offering their opinions if said opinions were in line with theirs.

Many years ago I saw where my local newspaper decided to endorse political candidates.  That got me to wondering "Why would they do this?  Do they think people are dumb enough that they need help in deciding for whom to vote?"
Well, as we all know, endorsing by media is now common practice and I still feel the same.  But by doing that the media commits themselves to a preference and tells one and all that their opinion should be your opinion.  They know the first rule of all newspapers:  You can beat a company that buys it's ink by the barrel.

Bill

Oldgator73 said:
It is very troubling when a non allied foreign power skews the outcome for a presidential election in favor of a candidate that foreign power has blackmailable information on (audio/video tapes, first person testimony).

If you believe that, I have a beautiful bridge for sale. Bargain price too.

Bill

Bill N said:
Many years ago I saw where my local newspaper decided to endorse political candidates.  That got me to wondering "Why would they do this?  Do they think people are dumb enough that they need help in deciding for whom to vote?"
Well, as we all know, endorsing by media is now common practice and I still feel the same.  But by doing that the media commits themselves to a preference and tells one and all that their opinion should be your opinion.  They know the first rule of all newspapers:  You can beat a company that buys it's ink by the barrel.

Bill
You do know that newspapers have been endorsing candidates since the 1800s, don?t you? Nothing new, and I am amazed you didn?t see it before. And if you want to see fake news, look up the yellow journalism of the mid 1800s running into the early 1900s. It makes today?s news look like a church.

As bad as the writing is the selection of photographs and video. I noticed this particularly with a recent composite photo in the local paper of the candidates for governor in  FL. The democratic candidate got the  foreground and was smiling and looking up while his opponent was frowning and looking away. Typical of this liberal paper.

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Ernie

I agree, but I would include allied as well. And fortunately it didn?t work! ;D ;D

Ernie n Tara said:
As bad as the writing is the selection of photographs and video. I noticed this particularly with a recent composite photo in the local paper of the candidates for governor in  FL. The democratic candidate got the  foreground and was smiling and looking up while his opponent was frowning and looking away. Typical of this liberal paper.

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Ernie

How did the right leaning news outlets portray the same or similar event. Or it could be the republican candidate just doesn?t have a good side.

Society and America is changing.     

I live in the Sanctuary state of California.    As we all know there's an old saying..."as California Goes so goes the nation".

I'm living in America's liberal future.

sorry,  but the party's over... :-X

sightseers said:

I live in the Sanctuary state of California.    As we all know there's an old saying..."as California Goes so goes the nation".

You have 49 other choices to start with. If you feel it's that bad, narrow down the pros and cons of each one to meet your criteria, pack up the RV, and off you go.  ;D

sightseers said:
  It is.  I think it's a good thing.  Maybe you would prefer to use a typewriter and send in your thoughts to the RV Forum.  Oh hold that thought.  I doubt the RV Forum would exist in the old days. 

As we all know there's an old saying..."as California Goes so goes the nation".

Do you remember the phrase "What's good for General Motors is good for the country"?  Wasn't General Motors like the largest corporation in the world.  What happened to them?  Maybe they didn't like change either.  I grew up in an era when the phrase "Made in Japan" meant you didn't buy it.  What happened?   

If you prefer to live in the past, there are many areas of the country where you will feel right at home.  Personally I like where we're going. 

Sorry if it's past your bed time. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom