What is happening to our society?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
garyb1st said:
  It is.  I think it's a good thing.  Maybe you would prefer to use a typewriter and send in your thoughts to the RV Forum.  Oh hold that thought.  I doubt the RV Forum would exist in the old days. 

Do you remember the phrase "What's good for General Motors is good for the country"?  Wasn't General Motors like the largest corporation in the world.  What happened to them?  Maybe they didn't like change either.  I grew up in an era when the phrase "Made in Japan" meant you didn't buy it.  What happened?   
  If you prefer to live in the past, there are many areas of the country where you will feel right at home.  Personally I like where we're going. 
  Sorry if it's past your bed time.

:)) :)) :)) :))

I stopped believing most print that contains "opinion" many years ago.. I started my mechanics career at 21 with a Harley Davidson sales and service dealership.  One memorial moment came when I was interviewed by a very popular motorcycle magazine in the day,, a cameraman and writer took notes and asked questions as I showed them how to overhaul an HD 4 speed transmission.  In the next edition of that mag I read the article,,,,,I guarantee if you used that article to overhaul one it would last 20 seconds till blowup.>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr said:
    I stopped believing most print that contains "opinion" many years ago.. I started my mechanics career at 21 with a Harley Davidson sales and service company.  One memorial moment came when I was interviewed by a very popular motorcycle magazine in the day,, a cameraman and writer took notes and asked questions as I showed them how to overhaul an HD 4 speed transmission.  In the next edition of that mag I read the article,,,,,I grantee if you used that article to overhaul one it would last 20 seconds till blow-up.>>>Dan

Most folks do not know how to write technically. And for those that are technical writers, most folks do not want to read it.

garyb1st said:

Do you remember the phrase "What's good for General Motors is good for the country"?  Wasn't General Motors like the largest corporation in the world.  What happened to them?  Maybe they didn't like change either.  I grew up in an era when the phrase "Made in Japan" meant you didn't buy it.  What happened?   

you are right about both GM and Harley. 

Instead of adding 14 billion to our national debt we should have let GM die. It's gonna smoother under the weight of it's entitlement obligations anyway.

And seeing that no Millennial is ever gonna spend his hard earned money on a new American made motorcycle...(or a new American Car either)....So we should just let Harley evolve into a Boutique motorcycle manufacture for the wealthy,

Asia is the only hot market for Harley now days. that's why they have such a high tariff on them.

every dollar of our nation debt matters to our future. 

And yet the last two presidents doubled our National Dept.

as soon as the Fed raises the interest rate because of the recovering economy ... The compounding interest of our debt at 4-5% will take us down...... :-[

The Party's over....

sightseers said:
every dollar of our nation debt matters to our future. 

And yet the last two presidents doubled our National Dept.

as soon as the Fed raises the interest rate because of the recovering economy ... The compounding interest of our debt at 4-5% will take us down...... :-[

The Party's over....

I?m packing and leaving in the AM.

I have noticed that most people who really lament about the good old days are white males. The good old days I remember included my mother being paid less than a man in the same job. I remember sexual harassment and assault being just the price you have to pay to work in a ?man?s world.? I remember when it would have been unthinkable for a white person to have a black doctor or other professional. I remember going on a double date with a mixed race couple and having racist, disgusting things yelled at us. I remember being derided for ?taking a man?s place? in my science training.

For well over half of the population (women, people of color),  ?The Good Old Days? weren?t very good at all.

UTTransplant said:
I have noticed that most people who really lament about the good old days are white males. The good old days I remember included my mother being paid less than a man in the same job. I remember sexual harassment and assault being just the price you have to pay to work in a ?man?s world.? I remember when it would have been unthinkable for a white person to have a black doctor or other professional. I remember going on a double date with a mixed race couple and having racist, disgusting things yelled at us. I remember being derided for ?taking a man?s place? in my science training.

For well over half of the population (women, people of color),  ?The Good Old Days? weren?t very good at all.

Thank you. :))

if you really want to live in 'the good old days' .....I got two words for you...

New Zealand

UTTransplant said:
You do know that newspapers have been endorsing candidates since the 1800s, don?t you? Nothing new, and I am amazed you didn?t see it before. And if you want to see fake news, look up the yellow journalism of the mid 1800s running into the early 1900s. It makes today?s news look like a church.

Believe me I see enough fake news today without having to go back in history to find more but in the 1800s they did not have 24/7 news or the internet.  How fortunate they were. Send me back please.  I will gladly use an outhouse if that is what was the 'necessary.'

Bill

Oldgator73 said:
How did the right leaning news outlets portray the same or similar event. Or it could be the republican candidate just doesn?t have a good side.

Getting tired of this thread huh?  You are not slick enough to hide your political leanings but please buy my bridge and use it to keep the partisan politics out of the thread.  Thank you.

Bill

UTTransplant said:

I am a white male.  I lament over the good old days.  My father died with I was 3.  My mother worked two jobs to support me and my brother.  She finally had to put us in a boys home but came to visit every other day and help us with our homework.  At age 6 she took us out of the home but my brother was rapidly turning into a petty criminal which took over his life until his death at age 60.  I could not go into a city park restroom without being accosted by a pervert.  Yes women and people of color had it tough but you know what - many didn't know that and many whites who had it tough didn't either.  I am sorry to see the thread teeter on the edge of politics and now it has to move to gender equality and racism.  A sign of the times I guess.  I do lament the good old days and I consider myself as having it tough - but only in looking back.  Maybe it's time to look forward. 

This thread may survive another day but I think I will be better served just to skip over it from here on out. Thanks to all who contributed.

Bill

Bill N said:
Getting tired of this thread huh?  You are not slick enough to hide your political leanings but please buy my bridge and use it to keep the partisan politics out of the thread.  Thank you.

Bill

Bill,
You and I got off to a pretty rocky start and then somewhat reconciled after awhile. You even defended me in one post. So I am a bit flummoxed as to why, with the myriad political leaning posts on this thread, you decided to call mine out. Don?t get me wrong, you every right to do so. Just curious.

Oldgator73 said:
Bill,
You and I got off to a pretty rocky start and then somewhat reconciled after awhile. You even defended me in one post. So I am a bit flummoxed as to why, with the myriad political leaning posts on this thread, you decided to call mine out. Don?t get me wrong, you every right to do so. Just curious.

Will reply by PM.

Oldgator73 said:
Bill,
Because most of the posts have been neutrally stated, yours clearly wasn't. I could stomach reading most of the posts here, yours was a huge turn off and added nothing to the conversation in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom