Sewer Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie65

Class C Motorhome. Didn't know of this forum at the time. We took it out for one night (1st time) Only did #1 in it. I'm sure it barely had anything in it. We dumped both tanks, black first of course. Then brought it home and there it sits in the driveway, EMPTY! Did I screw up? I read on the sewer info on this site I need to keep my tank 1/4 filled with water & deodorizer. How do I get the water in? From the outside or by dumping it right down the toilet with a bucket? Also if I go out for an overnighter again and barely use the toilet can I store the RV for a period of time w/o emptying what's little is in it? I read you're not supposed to dump until 2/3 full at least. Is it too late? Have I screwed up my sensors with rotten TP stuck to them? PLEASE HELP!  ???

Ezzie,

No, you didn't screw anything up.  No need to worry, esepcially if you have not done much in the black tank yet.  The 1/4 filled thing is primarily for when you will actually be using it.  If you're a "weekender" like me (go out on 3 day weekends and such), there is absolutely nothing wrong with completely emptying the tank.  But it will need cleaned when you do this.  If you use it more often (full time or even once a week or more), then it might be a good idea to keep some water in it.

To get water in it, for us (as weekenders), we wait until we get to the campground and hook to the water at the site.  Then we just turn on the flusher and let it fill some.  If you're not hooked up to water, a bucket will do, or a water hose directly in the toilet.

As weekenders, our trailer may sit for a month or more at a time, so we definitely do not keep anything in the tank.  But because of that, we have to make sure we clean the tank pretty good between uses.  If we didn't use it much at the particular campground we were at, we will usually finish filling it, then dump it.  Then rinse it again and dump it.  That usually does us pretty good.  Every now and then I have to break out the spinner wand and give it a good blasting.  I'm just glad I have a place now where I can keep my trailer at the house instead of at a storage lot.  It makes these chores much easier!

It's more like "Keep a gallon in it' than 1/4 full.  and if you rinse it out well even that's not needed

The problem is this.. If you let it sit dry, then "Stuff" drys and hardens... If there is no "Stuff" in the tank, then it can not dry and harden can it?  So if you rinse it well don't worry.

I do use a product when it's sitting for a month or more (Odorlos) but if it's in use I only use what goes in it naturally, Never have had a smell problem

There is no need to empty it between uses either - the "stuff" will just get digested by the bacteria in the tank. If it sits for awhile in hot weather, you may want to add a bit of an enzyme based tank chemical (not the formaldehyde stuff), but often that is not needed either.  But don't let it sit so long the water evaporates and the tank dries out (many months).

I would add one point to what the others have said.  Keep an eye on the toilet bowl itself so there's always water in it.  You don't want the ring where the "stuff" goes down to dry out, nor do you want toilet paper to be stuck in it and then dry out.

ArdraF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom