Locked up Air Conditioner Compressor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wcrowdus

I have a 1990 Southwind.  It sat up for about 3 years not being used.  I decided to take it out of mothballs and see what was running or not to decide if I was going to restore it or sell it.
  Among a few other minor things, the Coleman 13500 Roof mount A/C compressor is locked up.  It was working fine the last time I used it, like I said, about 3 years ago.
  My question is; is there any way to get the compressor unlock, or do I need to just go out and buy another one.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Afraid you will have to buy a new one.
I just put in a new one last year and it cools much nicer

I used
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-B57915-XX1C0-Brisk-Polar-Conditioner/dp/B00SQ2GEJA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535748658&sr=8-3&keywords=RV+A%2FC&dpID=41BZjNptoKL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Cost of a new compressor. installed. makes replacement of the UPPER UNIT practical. NOTE your A/C has at least 3 units. THe UPPER unit is the compressor, blowers, and heat exchangers. Only electronics is the Start and Run caps for the motors. COntrols are in the LOWER unit. middle unit is what decides if you are ducted.. or not.

THe job
Inside remove grill. Remove 4 bolts and set aside, Unplug upper unit

Topside remove upper unit. (about 90 pounds) lower to ground with assistance. Remove gasket, Sweep clean and do any other cleaning needed.

Lay down new gasket

Lift (Withj help) new upper unit up and position. With parther's help line up bolt holes

Replace bolts and plug in upper unit
Tighten bolts to the degree indicated in teh instructions (Coleman is very good about this)
Replace grill and .. if local controls knobs.

Very simple job.

How did you determine the compressor is locked up, since it's a sealed unit?  If it's not starting, it might be the starting capacitor, which is about $20 to replace.

If the fan motor is locked up, it might be mechanical binding.  They have sealed bearings but sometimes a shot of WD-40 where the shaft enters the motor loosens things up enough to get it going.  Or it might be the fan motor's starting capacitor is bad.

One thing to try before spending serious money to replace the AC unit...make sure the unit is OFF, take a GOOD penetrating fluid up and spray the shaft where it goes into the housing and bearing. (even WD-40 will work) Use a pair of channellock pliers or vice-grips to turn the shaft. Often, it will rust in place, and won't start. (I see Lou already covered this)  :p
When we bought our current RV, silly me didn't test the AC unit before we bought it. First time I tried to use it...wouldn't run...took it to a local RV shop who checked it immediately since we were on the road, (even though we lived in that town, we were heading for California) the owner of the shop did what I said above...hasn't missed a lick since.

Back
Top Bottom