Weight distribution bar keeps falling out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMichaelBell

The tension pin that holds the weight distribution bar to the ball hitch has lost spring and keeps dropping the bar, especially on a sharp bend.  Is there an easy fix? Any fix?  I've tapped the pin to try to snug it up but not sure it's a good fix.

Is this a friction type anti-sway bar that sets atop a small ball on the tow vehicle and on the side of the tongue on the trailer?

About 50 Cents at a hardware store for a new one. Take the old one with you .Could be a dollar.

Which brand of WD hitch is it? Ours is an Eaz Lift and it looks like the pin itself could be replaced if you could get the spring pulled back far enough to drop the pin down and out. Spring part looks like it's held in with a rivet so no idea if that could be removed to remove the spring itself to make things a bit easier.

It's a Husky with a round bend head.  It looks like two rivets are holding in place. Trying to send pic but having difficulty.

We are camping in Ohio now and I guess my real question isn't: Once I get the bar in can I zip tie or duct tape the spring clip so that it doesn't slide out during traveling?
I believe it is husky part 31527

A photo would be good if you can post it here (you'll probably have to downsize it first)... does your spring bar insert look like the Reese photo attached below (or similar)?

If so, then yeah you probably need to replace the release clip assembly. Here's an example from etrailer.com but you'd obviously want to find the correct version for your make/model of hitch.

I replaced mine on my hitch when I bought our Suburban tow vehicle (hitch came with it) because the original ones were pretty loose. I had to drill out the rivets on the original, and the replacement came with small screws instead, that snugged right in place with my drill and have been holding strong for 3 years now.

Attachments

• Reese-WDH.jpg
    Reese-WDH.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 23
JMichaelBell said:
Yes scottyd.  Very similar.  Thanks everyone.
Ho about mt temp fix of zip tie or tape?

I'd go with zip tie. Tape is too flexible. You'd just have to cut the tie in order to remove the bar, I'd imagine.

Or, if you can get a big enough one, one of those screw drive hose clamps might be a good option. Tighten it up when hitching up and loosen it to get the bar out. Reusable that way.

As a final follow-up, I bought some long zip ties at the dollar store and zipped one around the cylinder.
Worked great.  Made it home with no problems and had to manually press clip to let the bar drop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom