Sleeping with Generator running?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Summer in the south is not conducive to dry camping without a generator running. I would avoid it.

I have run an ONAN with a Gen-Turi on a few overnight occasions... Special events where i was supplying electricity to the event. NOTE THE GEN-TURI iw a must in crowded places and I recommend any time unless you are in motion).

One time we were in a public park and the authorities wanted to know how hot the Gen-Turi got and how loud the generator was.

We stood there talking, normal not raised voices. with my hand around the black tube.  At this point he signed off on it as not too loud.

THe Honda or Yahama are in about the same loudness class. A KIPOR though the same volume is louder. (As to do with the waveform)

Since this is the Newcomer's forum, and some may not yet be familiar with the Gen-Turi, here's a link:  https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gen-Turi-Generator-Disconnect-44461/dp/B000BUU5XG

I simply cannot recommend this item enough!  We boondock fairly often, and many times we are at a music festival or other event where we'll have neighbors very close to us, and often in popups or tents.  Our generator exhaust, like many, faces out the driver's side of our coach, thus sending it directly into our neighbor's camper/tent.  In our opinion, this is REALLY unacceptable (having been the recipient of it in our tenting days), and we'd rather not run the genny at all than cause such inconvenience and danger to our neighbors. 

This simple device solves the problem elegantly and completely.  By routing the exhaust up and over our coach, we can both avoid poisoning our neighbors and ourselves (if a window happens to be open).  And at around $100, we feel it's a VERY small price to pay for it. 

Unfortunately, not everyone is as courteous as we are.  We were just at a music festival this weekend, in the RV parking area, and we've never (even at this same event) had such a terrible generator experience.  On both sides of us, several units had cheap, loud and smelly contractor-style generators just ROARING nonstop all weekend long.  It made it so we couldn't even sit outside our rig, due to the noise and the wind direction blowing the fumes directly into us.  Furthermore, a friend of ours, who camps in an older popup, was a couple of sites down from us, and her unit was filled with exhaust fumes and noise all weekend long, even overnight.  Needless to say, it was a tough weekend for her.  Offending neighbors just couldn't be bothered with talking to her about it.  It was truly awful, and we actually left early because of it. 

Even a nearby class C, who could have easily used a Gen-Turi, did not.  Their exhaust dumped directly into the front door of the camper next to it, and they ran it 24 hours a day all weekend.  Shook my faith in humanity when they refused to at least shut it down overnight or while not at their unit.  Jerks.

Our policy is to only run the genny in such a close situation when it is absolutely necessary to recharge our batteries.  Even when it's hot, we use our Fantastic Fans and open windows, and just accept that we'll be a bit warm.  When we do need to run it, before doing so I talk with the nearby neighbors, explain the Gen-Turi and ask if they'd like to plug in to a power strip I put out to charge their devices, or even their camper if needed.  Believe me, this goes a LONG way toward good neighbor relations and folks really appreciate the courtesy. 

Ugh.  Sorry for the long rant.  I can still smell and hear the $200 Harbor Freight monsters. 

I remember Rene at the Rhode Island balloon festival, with his neighbor's generator exhaust blowing right at him. Fortunately, the event organizers gave the neighbor the option of buying a Gen-Turi or shutting down the generator.

Our generator exhaust exits right below the slide, a very poor design. Without the Gen-Turi, exhaust gases rapidly collect under the slide and soon find their way inside the motorhome.

could anyone tell me how much gas a 45000 onan will use per hour? just wondering

HappyWanderer said:
I remember Rene at the Rhode Island balloon festival, with his neighbor's generator exhaust blowing right at him. Fortunately, the event organizers gave the neighbor the option of buying a Gen-Turi or shutting down the generator.

Ya J,  we had our awning extended because it was so hot and all the fumes would collect under the awning and go right into the RV. That wasn't fun. They did buy a Gen-Turi but weren't happy and let me know it just by their looks whenever we were outside. Although the wife did feel bad for us but you could tell she had no say with her husband. He was very domineering.

dabrown said:
could anyone tell me how much gas a 45000 onan will use per hour? just wondering

dabrown
You will find that information in the Operator and Installation Manual for your Onan:
https://power.cummins.com/sites/default/files/900-0541B.pdf

Class C onboard Onan with the genTuri for short boondocking however I prefer the Honda.

Attachments

• Lil Red 2.jpg
    Lil Red 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 39
We have used ours on several occasions at rest areas. With all the trucks etc, doesn?t make a lot of difference. A nice quiet campground is not the same

Make darn sure you have a CO detector that works.  Maybe two.

With an under bedroom location, a small exhaust leak could be deadly fairly quick.

I have (on 2 occasions) overnighted with the generator running for some special events where I was providing the 120vac.... Now I use a Gen-turi (Cause I want to wake up in the morning) but the Onon Emerald 5500 in my rig.. Kind of hard to hear it at all. and leaving an AC fan on high will completely mask it.

We generally don't turn the air conditioner off during a trip! On occasion, that has been several days. And, in fact, we do have two detectors.

Ernie

Ear plugs are a wonderful invention. They work great when noise from anything keeps you up at night. I even use them at home sometimes.

I might add the ONan emerald 5500.. One of the 24+ hr runs we were in a city park.. The City official wanted to know a few things like how hot the Gen-turi stack got Well with the generator running I was standing there with my hand on the black plastic stack (only once has it been too hot to handle bare handed and that was NOT due to the shut down due to overheat generator but rather due to the sun's rays overheating both it and the generator).

Even though the unit was under load (The A/C's both of 'em) we were speaking in normal tones and volumes. did not have to raise our voice. Inside you could not even hear the thing .

I am in the 'white noise' camp since at home I run a oxygen concentrator all night and the wife still runs her box fan to create noise also.  That constant noise seems to overcome the constant little chirps and bangs of cars driving by on the highway and the knuckle head shooting off fireworks in March. But in a quiet campground we rely on the AC furnished by the campground; however, the wife's fan is still humming also. My oxygen comes from a tank and not a concentrator on the road.

i don't run my generator overnight too. i think the noise affect my sleep.
i know its white noise to most pple. but to me prefer silence haha

On generator 16 days (almost 24/7) after hurricane mikie.  CO detector in every room/area. We often dry camp for 2 to 4 days at a time.

Back
Top Bottom