2005 Vectra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

I am looking at buying a 2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD that has a basement A/C. Friends are saying they cant get parts for this and looking for any other issues I should be aware of before purchase. All help and comments are greatly appreciated

Parts (or a complete replacement unit) are available. For the most part, it's all standard HVAC stuff except for the control board. I bought a spare board four or five years ago and I'm not sure if that exact board is still available.

Airxcel stopped making that basement a/c model after sales declined to near zero back in 2009 (the financial depression).  It appears there are parts available - I find some listed online, e.g. at http://www.arvparts.com/coleman-parts-list.html

I've heard reports that RV dealer shops say "no parts", but they are not renowned for looking very far.  If their usual parts distributor doesn't have them in their catalog, they simply give up.

They must still be producing the unit because they are out there. A friend recently sent me an Amazon link for a complete unit but I can't find it now. Park models use that unit so production will probably continue. The only unique part in the unit is the control board AFAIK.

Could well be, John.  Airxcel makes several models of a/c unit, e.g. the 2-ton HE heat pump, that could be used in park models or whatever.  I have read that the current products are different than what Winnie was using, but I see no reason why it couldn't be used as a replacement for a basement a/c if needed. Assuming a reasonably competent a/c guy, anyway.  The quibble may be that the currently available units are equivalent function but not direct plug-in replacements.

https://www.airxcel.com/coleman-mach/products/heat-pumps/two-ton-he

John Canfield said:
......  A friend recently sent me an Amazon link for a complete unit but I can't find it now. Park models use that unit so production will probably continue. The only unique part in the unit is the control board AFAIK.
Perhaps this is the link you were looking for John

Coleman 46515-811 2 Ton Heat Pump

Here is another link to one thats a little cheaper: https://www.my12voltstore.com/Coleman_46515_811_69859_Two_Ton_Plus_Basement_p/46515-811.htm

Russ

Ah, great resource Chris. Unfortunately my unit is the top return 6537 so I guess a direct replacement isn't available. I need to pull it and replace the start/run caps and blower motor sometime this fall. At least the side return 6535 is available.

Most the parts for the original units are still available. In the last couple months I pulled mine replaced the blower motor and squirrel cage. I also replaced the brass bushings on both blower motors with sealed bearings. The start and run capacitors are widely available. The company that made the unit for Coleman is still in business (I talked with a tech there just 5 weeks ago) and making basement units. A new unit is not cheap but remember it is basically 2 units in one. The new units use then new refrigerant that is suppose to save the planet.

The return is just a hole in the galvanized sheet metal box of the unit something easily changed if the factory won't cut the hole in the top lid for you. You could use the old lid if needed and seal up the side inlet.

The only negative I found is Winnebago doesn't do anything to keep the unit from moving. It can slid front to back several inches and side to side at lest one inch. I added some metal to the original steel frame that lifts and hold the unit in the RV. I think this is the biggest reason the duct work on the back comes lose and leaks. I tried to attach the picture of it, but for some reason this is the only wedsite where all my phone pictures are to big, so you'll have to just use your imagination. I don't get along well enough with my POS Dell windows 10 lap top to hassle resizing picture.

sandpsycho said:
Most the parts for the original units are still available. In the last couple months I pulled mine replaced the blower motor and squirrel cage. I also replaced the brass bushings on both blower motors with sealed bearings. ..
Do you have part numbers and where you bought?

John Canfield said:
Do you have part numbers and where you bought?

Here is a link to an excellent write up with pictures detailing the repair and part numbers. I basically followed this. My unit was making a rather loud noise from the metal squirrel cage hitting the side of the blower housing. It wobbled like a badly bent rim. I would add the new motor has a major flaw in that there is no bushing/grommet to protect the wires that come out of the back to the run capacitor. It is very possible to have the wires cut into the motor body and cause it to lock up and make a very loud hum. I would guess if i had let the humming continue smoke and other bad things would have followed. The new motor only lasted 1 full day due to this and the 2nd new never run motor showed up with capacitor wires that showed wear from rubbing on the motor body where they come out. I cut down a large grommet to fit and protect the wires. Silicone filled in would work too. 

I ordered the parts from Dyers RV and the bearings from Grainger.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxiaWxsbWFyaWUyMDA4fGd4OjRmOGYwYzBiZTYxYzU5ZWQ

This write up is of a side intake but internally these units are the same. Also on the Vectra the unit sits on a rack that lowers with 4 bolts so it can side out for service. Also the attachment of the duct work on the back is slightly different as far as where the screws are located. A cheap ratchet screw driver from Harbor Fright is worth it's weight in gold but they only want a few bucks for one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-right-angle-screwdriver-92630.html

I think the document you are referring to was written by my buddy Duner (Bill), I printed it out some time ago and just stumbled across it a couple of days ago. Thanks  :))

I have owned a 2005 Horizon 36RD for the last 4 years and 35K miles. I have had no major issues with the coach and would recommend it highly. Freightliner chassis and Winnebago both offer great customer support. Go for it!!

Replace original screws attaching duct work to unit with hex head screws. Works nice. Easier to remove when you remove unit next time!! I also replaced all weather stripping around duct where it attaches to unit with something thicker and a bit wider than what 'Bago used. Got something at HD or Lowe's if I remember correctly.

I used mastic and reinforcing mat which I used to seal up the interface between the AC outlet and the start of the ducting. I stopped the air leaks but I think it's now going to be a project to separate the two when I drop the unit.

Good idea about the hex head fasteners.  :))

Back
Top Bottom