Winterization Valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmock215

Does anyone know where I can find the winterization values on my 2004 trail lite? It?s an Atwood gas water heater. We just bought the rig used and I want to check the values before trying to use the water heater. I have my doubts it?s been winterized considering it?s lived in Southern California for the past decade, but I?m not risking ruining the water heater already. Thanks!

First, welcome to the forum.
Most times, you'd have to get to the backside of the heater. If you have access, look for 1, 2 or 3 valves. If you find them, let us know  how many there are then we can help you.
Telling us what you have for a RV may also help. Go into your profile and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you.

It may have one to three valves if a kit was installed.  There is a good chance that it has no valves since it comes from a warmer climate.

lynnmor said:
It may have one to three valves if a kit was installed.  There is a good chance that it has no valves since it comes from a warmer climate.

There's a echo in here.  ;D :D ;)
I don't know about the warmer climate statement. Does a factory know where a particular RV is going when it's on the assembly line?  I would think they would build them for any situation.

Thanks guys! It definitely has them i just can't find them. Its a 2014 R Vision Trail Lite, Model 8270S.

kmock215 said:
Thanks guys! It definitely has them i just can't find them. Its a 2014 R Vision Trail Lite, Model 8270S.

You may have to remove a drawer or a panel inside a closet or cabinet

Does a factory know where a particular RV is going when it's on the assembly line?  I would think they would build them for any situation.
Actually, YES. For lower-priced RVs where such things are often optional,  the dealer specifies it when he orders the RV.  I'll grant that few RVs are made these days without at least the heater bypass valves, but it wasn't all that long ago that they were a higher-end feature or left as a "dealer add-on" for extra profit.

My '89 P30 coach came with a short piece of hose that you had to use to bypass the w/h.  The w/h rear access was under the kitchen sink.  I had to lay on the floor to get my hands in there to unhook the heater and install the hose.  I did that one year, and then every year after that I used the blow-out method.

My present coach has the single valve with a check valve on the water heater.  We now live full time in the coach and I've never had occasion to use the valve until the other day.  We were sitting outside under the awning when I heard a loud pop and water started to pour out from under the w/h.  I just reached into the compartment and shut the bypass valve.  That allowed us to at least have cold water in the coach until I could get to the store and buy a replacement cold water supply hose for the w/h.
I had to buy 2 short ones and a coupler because they didn't have the proper length.  That'll get me by until next week when the proper length replacements arrive.

Back
Top Bottom