Putting push bikes inside the RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spike1306

Hi

We will be hiring an RV next year for our holidays to yellow stone park and various other places.
The last time we hired an RV we found it pretty limiting once you are hooked up on a site so we though this time we would buy a couple of cheep push bikes from a Walmart and take them with us then get rid at the end of the trip (give them to the last  aprk or someone on the park) This way we can go shopping and just generally get around and see the places we stay instead of the road in the road out and the RV park.

does anyone carry pushbikes without a carrier on the rear of the RV and just put them inside and if so is this easy to do as from what I can remember the doors are not that wide.

Thanks 

We have  been thinking about lightweight electric scooters for this purpose.

I must look up what a push bike is............

We want something simple but capable of getting us around.

If it's a push bike why don't you just walk. Lol just giving you a hard time. We had hauled our bikes in fifth wheel before. Wasn't ideal but the mount broke on our rack. They will fit fine.

This plan will certainly work well.  However, there are limitations.  It may be  a few miles for groceries or other items.  To actually travel around Yellowstone or most other parks will require 50 mile ... 100 mile rides.  You may be better off renting a car for a couple days to visit the park.

Arch Hoagland said:
British, New Zealand or Australian term for bicycle.

Ah, THAT EXPLAINS IT,  Four countries united by a common language which is  mostly understandable, one to the other, and incomprehensible to most of the balance of the world. ;D ;D ;D

Spike,
Much depends on what you expect, and what you're physically capable of doing.
Cheap Walmart bikes are OK for casual limited mileage. What you're contemplating are utility bikes for groceries, shopping, and seeing the sights. This could involve considerable distance. How do you plan on carrying groceries?
Panniers? Cart? BOB trailer?
It's possible, but cheap ill fitted bikes with no cargo capacity might not be the solution you're looking for. Much depends on the mileage you're looking at, depending on where you're staying and the proximity of where you're planning to go.

grashley said:
This plan will certainly work well.  However, there are limitations.  It may be  a few miles for groceries or other items.  To actually travel around Yellowstone or most other parks will require 50 mile ... 100 mile rides.  You may be better off renting a car for a couple days to visit the park.

Yellowstone has areas where bicycles would be fun, but very limiting. People often forget just how vast the park is...and how far it is between the "major attractions." Also, don't forget the wildlife...buffalo jams are pretty common...and I don't think I'd want to deal with tatanka while on a bicycle.

http://www.whodah.com/albums/album17/aaf.sized.jpg
(that's a very minor buffalo jam)

Bikes would be great.  Don't have too high of expectations, and those hills can be a real challenge to pedal up, I guess push bikes may be in order.

BoomerD said:
Yellowstone has areas where bicycles would be fun, but very limiting. People often forget just how vast the park is...and how far it is between the "major attractions." Also, don't forget the wildlife...buffalo jams are pretty common...and I don't think I'd want to deal with tatanka while on a bicycle.

http://www.whodah.com/albums/album17/aaf.sized.jpg
(that's a very minor buffalo jam)
The distances involved, the wildlife and the elevation will stop you from using a bike at Yellowstone. Yellowstone is located between 6000 and 10000 feet and a flatlander will be out of breath in a big hurry. My suggestion is to go to West Yellowstone and rent a car while you are there. You will then actually get to see some of the attractions.

Biggest issue is that unless they are strapped down they will roll and fall over and scratch everything so just make sure they are secure, the other issue will be unless you put them outside when you stop they will be in the way, my suggestion is buy an inexpensive bile rack and mount and put on the rear of the trailer

grashley said:

Ah sorry yes we are hiring a car for Yellowstone park its just all the other places we are visiting on the way there, mostly one or two night stops.

We just found it so limiting last time with no other form of transport when hiring and RV, we used to look at all the other RV with bike racks or towing a vehicle and think how jealous we where

BinaryBob said:
Spike,
Much depends on what you expect, and what you're physically capable of doing.
Cheap Walmart bikes are OK for casual limited mileage. What you're contemplating are utility bikes for groceries, shopping, and seeing the sights. This could involve considerable distance. How do you plan on carrying groceries?
Panniers? Cart? BOB trailer?
It's possible, but cheap ill fitted bikes with no cargo capacity might not be the solution you're looking for. Much depends on the mileage you're looking at, depending on where you're staying and the proximity of where you're planning to go.

Oh believe me these are just to get us off the camp site into the local town etc, nothing major, carrying groceries would be a back pack, this would just be the stuff we either forgot to get at a walmart or supermarket on the way into where ever we are, few beers wine etc nothing like a full shop.  When we go to yellowstone we will be hiring a small car for the 4 days we are there to get us around

SeilerBird said:
The distances involved, the wildlife and the elevation will stop you from using a bike at Yellowstone. Yellowstone is located between 6000 and 10000 feet and a flatlander will be out of breath in a big hurry. My suggestion is to go to West Yellowstone and rent a car while you are there. You will then actually get to see some of the attractions.

Thats what we plan to do is hire a car, the bikes are just to get us into the local towns as we make our way there

So, What is a good electric  scooter?

Anyone here have one?

The original poster and I may benefit  from the information.

Thanks in advance.

To answer multiple issues at one time
Push Bike... People get upset when I say WE DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH here in the USA (We speak American English it is a variation but .. Well if you are from England .. Describe a cookie and a biscuit or a pudding and a sauce.. I do know both shores meanings for all 4 of those words but do you???).

What good is an electric scooter?  Well in many parks there are activities inside the park. And in nearly all parks there is a LAUNDRY.. Some folks use park showers.. I mean Tomorrow when I shower in the big Handicapped shower at Lakeshore I like that because it is BIG. Unlimited (From my prespective) hot water. Good flow and pressure.. As opposed to the phone booth in my RV (And not even all of a phone booth) with a 6 Gallon hot tank.

The park I winter at has (or had) pot luck dinners every week in the spring.  And other dinners during the winter.. The park I'm in now I had dinner (BBQ Pulled Pork, sandwich Sausage. Veggies and so on) (Professional Pit Master on the Pork too,, Man knows how to do it). Here at the park. ELectric scooter for some is the best way to get to events WITHIN the park Including visiting your friends.

I use a bicycle for that most of the time.. .But this trip and I'm still recovering from too long down time. I'm too far from family center so drive car.

I even have a "Wagon" I can tow with my bicycle.

I often carry a bike on my bed in the back. I just lay down a moving blanket first. I get it in and out by rolling it on its back wheel holding on to the handlebars. Bike isn't much bigger than a person that way, and it's weight stays on it's own wheel, not my arms. Just come in the door backwards pulling it up the steps.

Just like the lady in the random picture from the web, if my description didn't make sense. (Nevermind she's storing it in the picture, it's the orientation I'm talking about.)

Attachments

• Wall+Mount+Bike+Brackets+NYC.+No+Lifting[1].png
    Wall+Mount+Bike+Brackets+NYC.+No+Lifting[1].png
    271 KB · Views: 29
Here is my homemade bike rack and spare tire on my back bumper.

Attachments

• Family 048.JPG
    Family 048.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Family 049.JPG
    Family 049.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Family 050.JPG
    Family 050.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Forum statistics