Trailer Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joereese2

First trip out with the new camper and my trailer brakes are acting up, the controller is not juicing the blue wire , matter of fact the green lights not glowing now at all. On the way down the green light glowed but the brakes barely felt like they were working. Push the slide on the controller and the light flickered red but no brakes. Now today I have nothing UNLESS I take my test light to ground and stick it in the blue wire near the controller then it starts glowing green and will power up blue wire. DOES THE CONTROLLER HAVE TO SEE A CERTAIN RESISTANCE FROM THE BLUE WIRE ? I've also checked all the grounds etc , all in good shape , trailer is 2 years old and been took care of , trailer brake controller is probably 15 years old. Help . Uh

Some more info on brake controller and how it is hooked up may help. If it has been wired into vehicle like the older units I would start with the supply from the brake switch and see if it is working to controller.

It is sending the signal and my brake lights work , it's a 2003 GMC and the wires are spliced into the factory harness stubs

The tbc is a Tekonsha, older model , apparently the blue wire running to the brakes is grounded until you apply power to that side, the brake controller is supposed to sense that ground and that's what wakes it up when you plug the 7 pin in ?

Need to know which Tekonsha you have - sounds like it may be an old-style Voyager.  Tekonsha made several models 15 years ago and the technology differed substantially among them.  If it's not one of the P-series (Prodigy family), I would spend the money to upgrade it.  The newer ones are much-improved and have lots of internal diagnostics.

The Voyager models are highly sensitive to mounting position and must be calibrated for "level" to get proper braking.  If you have a Voyager model, get out your manual and re-calibrate the controller for its normal position. Tilting it up or down just a little can dramatically alter how much braking it applies.  The manual below is for a newer Voyager but you really need the install & Op manual for your vintage of controller.

https://www.expediter.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Tekonsha-Voyager-Manual.pdf

Ok , fixed , plug at the bumper , truck side apparently corroded at the pin for the actual brake app and broke , took the controller with it , I'm assuming from arcing. New plug and controller and alot of sweat in a Panama City parking lot and all fixed . Thanks for the responses

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom