London is the capital of which country?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DenNukem

I got this captcha question, and, well, this was rather annoying.

Technically the country is called The United Kingdom [1]. So I tried both that, and "UK", neither of which worked. Then I tried Great Britain, and that didn't work either. Finally I tried England and that did work at last. Each attempt cost me some time and effort in retyping the password. I think it's best to exclude this question altogether for something less ambiguous. Unless the wild goose chase was planned :D

[1] The absolute exact name is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" but didn't try that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

Not a bug. London is the capital of England, not the United Kingdom. As explained in the Wiki you linked to, the UK is comprised of four countries, and each of the countries have their own capital.
The absolute exact name is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

In practice, the only place I see that is on my "British" aka UK passport.

LOL. Isn't London the capitol of ALL those geographical/political entities?  England, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and the British  "Commonwealth of Nations"?

I'll agree with DenNukem, though. Any of those answers would be correct and it's frustrating to be told you are wrong when you are most definitely not.  Surely there are capitols that would be less ambiguous, e.g. Dublin or Paris.

Hey I just got a DNA analysis done and found out I am 33% English. It reminds me of a distant cousin of mine who had an American father and an English mother. I asked her if she was half English and she said yes. I asked her which half, top or bottom?

[quote author=Gary RV_Wizard]LOL. Isn't London the capitol of ALL those geographical/political entities?[/quote]
That would be like saying that Washington DC is the capital of North America, including the US and Canada; I suspect our neighbors to the north would have something to say about that  ;)
Any of those answers would be correct ...

I think you jest Gary.

Surely there are capitols that would be less ambiguous

LOL having dealt with this registration stuff for a number of years, I can tell you that nothing is unambiguous. Like the person who argued that the 'white stuff falling from the sky' is definitely rain, or the person who insisted that 'the number of wheels on a bicycle' is definitely not two  :eek:

[quote author=SeilerBird]I just got a DNA analysis done and found out I am 33% English.[/quote]

That's scary for all the people of England  :eek:  Fortunately, those of us born in other countries on the island won't be affected by this revelation  ;D
I must admit to being rather skeptical of these DNA tests that supposedly reveal your ancestry. Many folks who had details of their ancestry passed down through generations were subsequently told that they came from a different part of the world. I'm waiting for someone to be told "you're 20% Martian".

Captcha is an automated response and I doubt if the moderators have the ability to change the answers. The one thing you can do is to not try and block trackers on your computer.  Then you will rarely see the captcha sequence cause you already have the cookie necessary to complete log in

Tom said:
That's scary for all the people of England  :eek:  Fortunately, those of us born in other countries on the island won't be affected by this revelation  ;D
I am also 1/3 German. That explains why I declared war on myself. ;D

[quote author=darsben]Captcha is an automated response and I doubt if the moderators have the ability to change the answers.[/quote]
This is not CAPTCHA; It's a separate security Q&A in our forum software that I set up, have full control over., and occasionally change But I won't be changing this answer.

[quote author=darsben]Is the second half of my answer valid? If a cookie is placed then no more security checks as long as it is a valid cookie?
[/quote]
I don't believe so. For clarification, the security questions only show when you register for an account. Once you've registered and activated your account, you use your user name and password, which will likely be stored in a cookie, to log into the forum.

SeilerBird said:
Hey I just got a DNA analysis done and found out I am 33% English. It reminds me of a distant cousin of mine who had an American father and an English mother. I asked her if she was half English and she said yes. I asked her which half, top or bottom?

I took one of those DNA tests and it came back negative.

[quote author=Oldgator73]I took one of those DNA tests and it came back negative.[/quote]

Does that mean you have no ancestry or origin, or that you're not from Mars?

As everyone knows, every nationality has has different factions of that nationality. Here's the issue:

jackiemac said:
I can answer that.....half peanut butter, half TP  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Is the peanut butter side of the family smooth or crunchy and is the tp side of the family folded or wadded?

Boy, people that haven't been here long enough are probably wondering " what are these idiots talking about" Haha

The problem with this tread is you are talking about the wrong thing.

The question was what COUNTRY is London the capital of.
not what country is London the CAPITAL of,

England is a country
Great Britain and the United Kingdom are not a Country they are a collection of countries.

But yes London is the "Capital" of all the above. but the only COUNTRY is England.

Ireland et-al also have Capitals  Ireland's is Dublin.  That is why the program insisted on ENGLAND. it wanted a SINGLE country not a Countries united.

Back
Top Bottom