Onan Microquiet 4000 overheating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbunkley

Twice this month our Onan has overheated and stopped. Just this weekend we had driven for 3 hrs and just as we were pulling in to our destination it shout down. I went out to check it and it was so hot the cover was too hot to handle. I looked and couldn't see anything blocking the vents. Has anyone else had this problem?

I?m new to the microlite series and not at all impressed. I ran our old 7000 emerald for about 1200 hours with two fuel pump change outs and the only time it caused any problems was with the fuel pumps.
  Got this microlite 2800 now in a new to us class b with 69 hours on it that would run 15 minutes, get hot and die. Fuel pump right? Nope. New pump, cleaned carb, new coil, ( ears still ringing from the parts cannon) new fuel lines, new spark plug and air and gas filter. Disconnected low oil shut off. All fuel lines held good vacuum. Installed clear gas line at carb. Hooked up dvm to fuel pump to check control board voltage while it ran. At about the 12 minute mark ( with cover on) would start to get bubbles in gas line and would die at about the 20 minute mark after surging and missing. (Hot outside) With cover off, it would run about three times as long.
  Finally dawned on me. Those are VAPOR bubbles in gas line. It?s vapor locking. Mounted fuel pump on frame outside of that heat soaked cover and no more problems. Ran it for four hours, parked,in 98 degree heat and it purred like a kitten, but it runs hot. I don?t like that microlite cover. Not enough ventilation. And then put a fuel pump and a couple of feet ( in my case) of fuel suction line inside that oven, what were they thinking?

I had similar problems on my 2015 C class. Not too hot to touch but was getting vapor lock. Heres a couple pics of the solution that one of the other guys here did. I did something very similar plus i added a second fuel pump upstream closer the fuel tank. My make & year model are very similar to this guy's. 
I have pics of the vent I made but they're too large to attach here (not sure how to reduce it).

Attachments

• Generator_vent2.jpg
    Generator_vent2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Generator_vent1.jpg
    Generator_vent1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom