WeBoost question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLFreeBird

Thinking of getting a WeBoost for better reception when boondocking IF there is a tower in the vicinity.  My question is: Can l use the factory intalled tv antenna already on the rv, and hook it up to the WeBoost?  Is it the same mechanics or should l get an OTR trucker antenna?

The WeBoost comes with its own antenna and neither of the two options you offered will work with it.  Antennas are designed for specific frequency bands and the frequency of cell signals is very different from TV and CB signals. There are "aftermarket" antennas sold for WeBoost products, but I suggest using the one that comes with it before trying anything else.

Joel (AKA docj)

Joel is absolutely right about antennas being customized for the frequency band. Kevin installed our WeBoost on the top of a flag pole that we attach to the coach with heavy suction cups. It puts it way above the top of the coach for better reception.

Funny, totally off subject discussion of antennas. I worked for a company that worked with MacDonnell-Douglasto design the communications suite of the MD line of aircraft. The MD-80 eventually had some units built in China by a Chinese firm as a type of technology transfer. A few years later the Chinese decided to build a smaller version of the MD-80 under their own steam. They pretty much literally shrunk the aircraft to meet the form factor they wanted. However they forgot basic physics for the HF antenna. While the aircraft shrunk, the wavelength didn?t! They called us quite unhappy their HF systems didn?t work. My antenna lead figured out the issue very quickly, but they just didn?t want to believe there was anything they hadn?t considered. End result: We got a nice contract to help with the redesign.

Thank you for your replies.  The WeBoost I am considering is weBoost Drive 4G-X RV 470410 Cell Phone Signal Booster for Your RV or Motorhome ? Enhances Cell Phone Signal up to 32x

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-470410-Signal-Booster-Motorhome/dp/B01N705CF3/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536026794&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=weboost&psc=1

and the Antenna is weBoost 4G-OTR Cellular Antenna Truck Edition With 3-Way Mount - 14ft Cable - Sma Male Connector

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-4G-OTR-Cellular-Antenna-Truck/dp/B01FUF1JAY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1536026794&sr=8-7&keywords=weboost&th=1

Was just hoping the tv antenna would do the trick.

Thanks for your help :)

I'm still not sure why you're automatically assuming you need a better antenna than is provided in the WeBoost 4G-OTR kit,

FWIW, on our latest trip we used a WeBoost Sleek for a lot less money than the OTR.  Since all we usually want to do is amplify the signal going to our hotspots, the Sleek does what we need.  Its performance was fine in those handful of occasions where amplification was really needed.  By having both Verizon and AT&T hotspots we were able to have decent signals, even without amplification, most of the time.

With any Cellular device just make sure that everything (Antennas. Amps Phones Hot Spots whatever) is compatible with your service.

One thing some folks who use "Boosters" have cited is that the bandwidth drops when they use the booster. even though the signal is stronger.

Fact.. My phone today is capable of I think 3 or 4 band operation. each band has a maximum speed that is different. but it will work on "lower" (speed and frequency both) bands  If hte booster is a "Lower" band booster you will loose data speed when using it.

No since it is not imnportant to me to know the magic numbers I can't tell you what the bands are.

I can tell you this.
Wavelength = 300,000/Hz

So FM Radio at 100MHZ is the 3 Meter band

BEST simple antenna is a 1/2 wave dipole or a 1/4 wave with a good ground plane.

Why use FM radio as my exanple?  Division by 1*10^N,, is about as easy as it gets,

docj said:
I'm still not sure why you're automatically assuming you need a better antenna than is provided in the WeBoost 4G-OTR kit,

FWIW, on our latest trip we used a WeBoost Sleek for a lot less money than the OTR.  Since all we usually want to do is amplify the signal going to our hotspots, the Sleek does what we need.  Its performance was fine in those handful of occasions where amplification was really needed.  By having both Verizon and AT&T hotspots we were able to have decent signals, even without amplification, most of the time.

l would definitely try using the included antenna first. :)  Thank you

John From Detroit said:
I can tell you this.
Wavelength = 300,000/Hz

So FM Radio at 100MHZ is the 3 Meter band

John:

With all due respect, the correct statement of the equation is:

Wavelength (in meters) = (speed of light)/(frequency in Hz)  = (300,000 km/sec)/ (frequency in Hz) = (300,000,000 m/sec) / (frequency in Hz)

100 MHz = 100,000,000 Hz

So the wavelength of a 100 MHz signal is 3 meters, as you stated.  Essentially, you made offsetting errors in your formulas that gave you the correct result even though the equation wasn't stated correctly.  I'm sure you knew what you were doing, but, as a reference for others, I wanted to clarify things.

Joel (AKA docj)

FLFreeBird, I have the 4GX RV booster. I was also considering getting the otr antenna. I called weboost and discussed with a very helpful tech support person about that. He pointed out some disadvantages to the otr when using it in an rv and stationary.  I decided to stick with the included antenna . You might want to give them a call if you do consider purchasing the otr antenna.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom