LPG Fridge operation while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

over40pirate

New to the game, with 1st. class c. 1992 Gulfstream Ultra 27'
Do most people use the propane fridge while driving? Heard it is ok, but not sure.

I do, the only time I turn it off is on ferry crosssings although it is required in some tunnels. At the cg I switch to shore power to conserve propane. I seldom boondock.

It is ok but I preferred to shut off the propane while driving. My BIL was a fireman and he told me several horror stories about propane and RVs. Even driving for 8 hours with the refer shut off never was a problem. Ice cream did not melt and it stayed cold enough.

Any hazards that exist while the motorhome is moving are also present while the vehicle is parked. It's no more, or less, dangerous to operate a propane refrigerator while moving than while stationary.

Propane appliances should be turned off near gas pumps, due to the remote possibility that a spark from the DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) could ignite gasoline vapors. That hazard doesn't exist with diesel fuel.

For what it's worth, I've responded to a grand total of two RV fires in my 38 years as a firefighter - both were parked at the time.

over40pirate said:
New to the game, with 1st. class c. 1992 Gulfstream Ultra 27'
Do most people use the propane fridge while driving? Heard it is ok, but not sure.

ours is on from the moment we load up and leave to the moment we return and unload.
never blown up a gas station or exploded on route yet.

My fridge never shuts off from May until November. When at home, and at campgrounds, its plugged in. When traveling or in the event of a power outage, it automatically switches to propane.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom