Coach Tow Rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ELeland

I read on another thread where someone was asking about increasing the weight of a towed vehicle and what was required to legally do so.  I have conflicting information on mine and it got me thinking.

The Freightliner chassis brochure for my rig states a GCWR of 36,350 LBS* which translates to a 10,000 LB towing capacity. (* Asterisk - based on installed towing components)

The data in my Airstream manual says GCWR of 31,350 which means a 5,000 LB towing capacity.  I am currently within that with my CCC and towed vehicle and do not plan on exceeding it.

If I upgraded to a Class V hitch rated for 10,000 LBS, would it be legal to tow that much?  The only place I see the rating is in the manual, not on the placards behind the drivers seat which only gives the GVWR of 26,350 LBS.  If someone lost the manual and only had access to the online FL chassis information, they might assume it would be rated for the full 10,000 LBS.

I think too much sometimes.....

The chassis is rated for 10,000 lbs towing (difference between chassis GVWR and chassis GCWR).  However, Freightliner did not provide the receiver hitch - Airstream added that. If they chose to install a 5000 lb receiver instead of 10,000, that's your limit.  If you replace the 5000 lb receiver with a 10,000 lb model, the hitch is no longer the weakest component and the full chassis rating is in effect.

Thanks Gary, that is what I suspected.  I don't need the added capacity, but it might be a consideration for a buyer if and when I decide to sell. I would think a 10K towing capacity would be a better choice for certain buyers and it would give me the option of upgrading at that time.

Thanks again.

Ed

Make sure the new receiver is firmly attached to a frame member that can actually handle a 10,000 lb tow. Airstream may have opted for a easier/cheaper method of attachment that tied to a lower strength part of the undercarriage.

Are you aware that Freightliner Custom Chassis has a 24/7 Customer Help line (1-800-FTL-HELP)?  Call and have the last 6 digits of your chassis VIN handy and they can answer a lot of questions concerning your specific chassis build.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom