Thoughts on this setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brclark82

A buddy of mine and I were talking this past weekend about trucks and long story short I told him he probably should upgrade his truck for how big his 5th Wheel is. 

He said that got him thinking and yest today on the way home he had it weighed and this is what he found.  Curious what everyone?s thoughts are. 

Front Axle Weight Rating- 5200lbs  Actual- 5050lbs
Rear Axle Weight Rating- 6200lbs  Actual- 5775lbs
GVWR- 10000lbs  Actual- 10825lbs
GCWR- 23500  Actual- 21430lbs

Later that weekend (before he weighed) I did ride with him and it seemed to handle just fine and it doesn?t ?look? overloaded.  His truck is a 2018 2500HD Duramax

2500 are just not made for towing  more than smallish FW, and this makes the point.  He is WAY OVER payload and GVWR.  Moving some weight to the back may help, but without a full set of weights, including Pin wt and FW weight, I would be hesitant to do too much.

The truck will not self destruct when it hits 30,000 miles, but the rear suspension is really getting a workout every time he tows this FW.

grashley said:
2500 are just not made for towing  more than smallish FW, and this makes the point.  He is WAY OVER payload and GVWR.  Moving some weight to the back may help, but without a full set of weights, including Pin wt and FW weight, I would be hesitant to do too much.

The truck will not self destruct when it hits 30,000 miles, but the rear suspension is really getting a workout every time he tows this FW.

This is pretty much what I told him.  His drivetrain and brakes can handle it just fine and he isn?t really putting anyone in danger but his truck is gonna wear out much faster.  He keeps it at our seasonal site pretty much the entire season and the only reason he brought it home (which is only 50 miles) this week was to do some work before the winter. He said if they decided to start traveling more he?d probably consider a truck upgrade.

brclark82 said:
This is pretty much what I told him.  His drivetrain and brakes can handle it just fine and he isn?t really putting anyone in danger but his truck is gonna wear out much faster.  He keeps it at our seasonal site pretty much the entire season and the only reason he brought it home (which is only 50 miles) this week was to do some work before the winter. He said if they decided to start traveling more he?d probably consider a truck upgrade.

That would be good, but don't forget, there are no mileage limitations on where accidents can happen, 50 miles from home or 500 miles from home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom