Driving to Moab suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevy

Any suggestions on driving a 34 foot gas class A with toad from the west (Sacramento CA area)  to Torrey Utah (Coral Reef National Park) and Moab (Arches and Canyonlands National Parks) would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I just came from there. Take 80 to Salt Lake City, 15 South through Provo, then 6/191 to Moab.  It was a bit windy south of Salt Lake but I managed. The smoke in Moab was not as bad as Yellowstone or Glacier but a bit worse than Bryce Canyon.

Have fun!

JoelP said:
I just came from there. Take 80 to Salt Lake City, 15 South through Provo, then 6/191 to Moab.

Ditto these directions. HWY 6 will dump you out on I-70 at Green River, so head east for about an hour(ish) and then take US 191 south.

Note: HWY 6 is still considered one of the deadliest highways in the US. Consider driving it during the late morning, after rush hour, not at night. UDOT has been working for the last 15+ years to make it safer, but it still has it's share of wrecks. People drive like maniacs and there's a lot of wildlife on the road. Also, take care down Price Canyon. It's not a horrible grade, but it's narrow (beautiful near the Castle Gates). There are quite a few RVs on this route so, with the exception of wind, you shouldn't have problems. There's a reason there are wind turbines at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon.

Have a great time! My husband and I plan to travel there to break in our new trailer late this month. Here are a few popular RV campgrounds to stay near Zion National Park.

The route to Moab the others noted is fine. Highway 6 is much improved over the years, and it is a nice drive. Lots of traffic though since even big trucks take it as a short cut to SLC from I70. As for Torrey, head back north to I-70 and take UT-24. BTW it is Capitol Reef. Confusion could result if you use the phrase ?Coral Reef? since there is Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park not too far away.

We were in that area this summer.  Stayed at Ballard RV Park in THompson Springs (just off I-70) and drove the toad to Moab, Canyonlands, Arches, Capitol Reef, Sego Canyon (for rock art) other scenic drives in the area.  fyi, we were not into the "camping" scene this trip, we were exploring and visiting lots of points of interest, most every day.

Thank you all for responding.  Now thinking of going to Torrey (Capitol Reef National Park) first and then Moab from Sacramento area.  I have a 34 foot gas motorhome with a toad.  I am looking at route 50 through Nevada and Utah vs. I80 and I15.  It is an extra 120 miles on the interstates but the mountain passes on route 50 concern me.  I am from the east coast and used to flat I95.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
  Elliott [[email protected]]

elevy said:
Thank you all for responding.  Now thinking of going to Torrey (Capitol Reef National Park) first and then Moab from Sacramento area.  I have a 34 foot gas motorhome with a toad.  I am looking at route 50 through Nevada and Utah vs. I80 and I15.  It is an extra 120 miles on the interstates but the mountain passes on route 50 concern me.  I am from the east coast and used to flat I95.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
  Elliott [[email protected]]
The mountain passes on 50 are all gentle. The scenery is much more beautiful than 80. However you won't be able to drive as fast on 50 so the mileage savings will result in a slower but more beautiful trip. Very few cops patrol 50 since very few drivers use 50.

Also, 50 is called the Loneliest Road in America so make sure you have plenty of fuel and water.  Cell service also is spotty if at all.  Did I say it's remote??

ArdraF

Last summer I traveled US 50 on my way from CO to Fremont CA. It was end of July and extremely hot,over 100 degrees  AC was a must. The road is good but 2 lane with no shoulder most of the way. I also quickly understood why this is described as basin and range country. It?s up and down over one range after another. I think the highest was maybe 8000 ft. Nothing really difficult. The moniker of Lonliest Road in America is well deserved. Services are very limited. I stopped in Ely for gas and groceries and that got me through to Fallon. There is a small RV Park in Eureka NV that is good for an overnight stop. $25 for full hookups. It?s called Silver Sky Lodge. I crossed the Sierras on Hwy 88.

US 50, the Loneliest Road in America, is one of my favorite drives.  Gas and diesel is available at Fallon, Austin, Eureka, Ely and Delta, UT.  Austin and Eureka have the highest prices.  Not really a problem but plan accordingly.

US 50 follows the Pony Express trail across Nevada.  You can find out about this history at http://ponyexpressnevada.com

East of Fallon at the Sand Mountain Recreation Area is the ruins of a Pony Express station.  The drifting sands buried it for quite a while, then 10-15 years ago the wind patterns changed and it became exposed again.  You can walk through the rooms, the roof is gone but the walls remain standing.

A bit further east is the Navy's Top Gun bombing range.  If you're lucky you may get  buzzed by fighter planes making their bombing runs from north to south across the highway.

Austin and Eureka are living silver mining camp ghost towns, each has a walking tour map describing the historic buildings.  Eureka has their restored Opera House with self-guided tours.  Ely has the Nevada Northern Ghost train and museum, and the Hotel Nevada has lots of historic photos and memorabilia in their restaurant and lobby.

There is a very nice state park not too far from Moab with fantastic views--Dead Horse Point.  The views from Dead Horse Point are fantastic, so go there on your way to Canyonlands, if only for a day drive.

ArdraF said:
Also, 50 is called the Loneliest Road in America so make sure you have plenty of fuel and water.  Cell service also is spotty if at all.  Did I say it's remote??

ArdraF
To echo what Ardra said, cell service is spotty in this part of the country.  I use AT&T and found that people with Verizon were having less issues in places like this as well as near Glacier Nat Park.

I couldn't agree more about Dead Horse Point State Park.  It's well worth the visit and gave me some easily captured, wonderful photo opportunities.

Any suggestions on driving from Great Basin National Park to Capitol Reef National Park?

elevy said:
Any suggestions on driving from Great Basin National Park to Capitol Reef National Park?
Highway 50 to I-70 to Hwy 191. Just be sure to check the fire forecasts before head g out in late summer or early fall, just in case. There have been road closures along Hwy 6 and Hwy 89 north of there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom